biceps/triceps proportion

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Xav, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Xav

Xav Valued Member

So I got all kinds of pains in both of my elbows. This became very bad so went to see a doc. I was told that I "overloaded" my elbows and now my tendons connecting elbow & biceps + triceps and something in forearm is screwed up. So next step is me getting twice a week therapy (this means people pulling, pushing, twisting, whatever my arms and some extremely light weight training).
    Last time they told me my triceps was a lot stronger than the biceps (and yes I train both!) and they think it should be the other way.
    They searched for confirmation and the optimal triceps-biceps proportion (is this the right word??) but did not found it.
    Does anybody here have a clue?
    This therapy seems stupid to me, at first those weird movements but now all they do is push on the painful spots and then let me do some "training".

2. CuppoJava

CuppoJava New Member

mmm i'm not familiar with the rest of your post, but i'm almost certain that your triceps ARE stronger than your biceps...

3. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

My triceps are far stronger than my biceps..
    I think he means in size terms...I hope he means in size terms..
    I'm not sure how the muscles in your arms can "overload" yet though...I mean, have you seen Shawn Ray?
    Hmm..Doctors just like saying that training is bad for us I reckon..
    That said, you have problems with the arm....That needs help..In the elbow?Surely having better developed muscles there should thicken the tendons and help the elbow movement?
    Maybe it's the type of training you do on the elbow that has damaged it?

4. medical 2933

medical 2933 Banned Banned

Employ variety and change to shock the muscle groups of the arms as much as possible to build the kind of quality muscle you want! You've gotta make them respond with whatever it takes to make them grow no matter what size they are!

5. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

seeing that triceps make up 2/3 of the arm....no shhhhht shirlock :p

you have tendonitus by the sounds of things, i had that and its painful... it hurt to curl and do tricep work.

it went after a few weeks after i changed exercises around and gauged what hand positions flared it up.

ez bar curling 60kg will do that to your elbows :p :D

6. Xav

Xav Valued Member

aah didn't know triceps was 2/3 of the arm

after a few weeks??? dam lucky *******! I've been having this problem more than 3 months!
    Would it hurt to do some military or bench presses meanwhile? Kinda sick of only running & swimming :/

Injuries... :woo: :woo: :woo:

7. Incredible Bulk

Gauge it, go light and see how it feels on your elbow.
    Some exercises you will have to drop but dont drop them all

Yeah people want bigger arms and they neglect the fact that if they work their triceps with as much passion as they do their biceps they would be in a good position.

i was 18" at my peak in the winter, i hammered the triceps hard and backed off the biceps work a tad...

injuries suck, throw your back out... thats a whole lotta fun. :woo:

8. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

How many pullups can you do? How many dips can you do?

9. Xav

Xav Valued Member

yea I am gonna drop bicep curls, skull crushers but gonna keep doing more compound exercices.

prophet, I can do about 15 pull ups (palm facing away correct? I always confuse pull & chin up) and 20 dips

10. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

That seems about normal, I doubt its a ratio problem. Maybe its a tendonitis or arthritis issue. How much EPA/DHA do you have in your daily diet?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  11. Incredible Bulk

keep it simple mate :) , this is a martial arts forum with a training section....
    if you're going to post the latest fitness first personal trainer lingo can you post the glossary terms at the end for people here who havent got a clue ;)

12. Incredible Bulk

good man, let us know how you get on :)

13. Xav

Xav Valued Member

What is EPA/DHA?
    MY diet is the following:
    -> breakfast: All Bran Fruit & Fibre cereals (no clue how much g but one pretty big bowl filled COMPLETELY), 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, about 250 ml milk, a glass of orange juice.
    Then during the morning a snack consisting of some honey (just take it with a spoon, delicious!), more fruit and water
    -> Lunch: vegetables, fruit or fish and again fruit
    -> During afternoon sometimes a light snack (fruit or cereals or soup) but usually nothing
    -> Dinner: Bread (full grain, dono if this is the right translation in english :confused: ) and yoghurt and usually some fruit.

Maybe you can figure out if I have enough EPA/DHA?

Yea TKDguy I'll keep you guys informed ;)
    Next friday going to doctor to see if the therapy worked a bit and then I am gonna tell her my plans to start training again (FINALLY), but on machines meanwhile.

Ooooo I forget to tell what she said last time: I "overloaded" a part of the radius in my ellebow (that is something in the forearm) and my connections to ellebow from biceps AND triceps. And last time the therapists (is this a correct word? :Alien: ) said my tendons in my ellebow felt "hard".

Thanks for all opinions

14. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Haha doh! :p

EPA/DHA are essential fatty acids, most often found in omega-3 oils.

15. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I doubt you have tendonitis. You likely have developed trigger points in your forearms and triceps from all the lifting you do. I had the same problem from heavy deadlifts, farmers walks, and lots of rock climbing.

Get Clair Davies book on trigger point therapy. It's the best $20 you'll spend for a long time, and I'm sure it'll help your elbow pain.

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/

16. Xav

Xav Valued Member

I have been climbing a lot as well, especially bouldering. I'll take a look at the book.

And btw, the pain related to the biceps & triceps has improved these last few days, but forearm is still painful
    Maybe back in action in august? :Angel: