Best moves for fighting a larger, stronger opponent while standing?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

If you are doing a martial art, I don't believe it should fall apart if the guy is bigger or stronger.. maybe faster though. However, what moves make it about who is the better fighter rather then who is the bigger guy?

Lets say he has a high pain tolerance as some people do, so I'm not looking for moves which work through pain alone.

Also, the reason I said 'standing' is if you are in a streetfight the general idea is you don't want to go to the ground. He may have friends nearby or pull out a weapon unknown to you.

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

It must be this:

[​IMG]

Or, if you can answer this question:

How long is a piece of string?

Then you will have the answer to your question.

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Kick to the balls. Toe punning the shin. Clinch and headbutt to the face.

Nipple twisters. Punch to the throat, elbows to the face.

Get creative.

Biting the nose is quite effective.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Dropping to your knees & praying?

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pick up a rock and throw it while you run away!

My serious answer would be "be the more skilled fighter by as wide a margin as you can".

6. Moi

Size & strength obviously play a part but skill is (hopefully) the deciding factor

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Sling shot! read it in a book somewhere :)

8. Moi

Think I read that once :Angel:

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Waiting for the Sequel.... Turbo Alpha Neo edition

10. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

glasgow kiss

11. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Alright guys, this is a serious question. If you don't know techniques which are equally effective against bigger guys then I don't think this is the topic for you to be posting on.

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

As someone who practices FMA I think the best way to deal with a larger opponent would be to stick a barong in their head or neck. Angels 1 and 2 are both nice.

Hope that helps. :)

Edit: it'll work with small people too.

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

The answer of course is Judo.

14. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Boris, I agree, but I'm not looking for weapons, just hand-to-hand moves.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Ok so Boxing and Judo.

16. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

That's a good point Dean, it doesn't matter how big they are... they can't fight gravity

17. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I gotta disagree with that one. One of the reasons why there are weight classes in boxing is the moves inherently aren't as strong against a bigger guy

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Fighting isn't a game of top trumps or warhammer.

In any fight you should be looking to hit the guy without him hitting you until he can't hit you anymore.
    Beyond that it'll be a mix of striking, grabbing, grappling, pulling and falling over.
    Some of that will be your choice to do and some of it not.
    Make sure you are good at the things you choose to do but can also manage the things you don't.
    There isn't "fighting against big people" and "fighting against small people". There's just "fighting". And to do it well you need to be well rounded, versatile and resourceful.

19. Moi

It's crazy that (arguably) the two most effective arts are the best :)

O/P there are no per-determined rules, more of a go with the flow.
    Good training and lots of it

20. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

But...then you've spent the last few precious of existence on a complete and utter waste of time!

What's the definition of bigger? Fatter, taller, more muscular, bigger attitude (stretching a bit on that last one...) Are we talking about sparring or defense? If it's a defense situation and the guy is noticeably bigger and/or stronger than I am, why am I not taking appropriate steps to disengage and walk away? Why would I try to mind through my plethora (my word of the day) of techniques to hope that their might be that one that will beat him? Why not just offer to buy him a beer or a tea so we can sit and talk about whatever it is that's upsetting him so much?

Failing everything a good swift kick to the knee or family jewels! :)