Best LEGAL self defense weapon to carry?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Adam, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Any chance you can back all that up with some valid documentation?

2. Lurch

Lurch Angry Kid

Yup.

Most of the 'weapons' I listed are perfectly legal to carry as they are not weapons in the conventional sense. Carrying a torch is not unreasonable if it's something you have with you most of the time and can find a reason to use. Ditto deodorant. If you're carrying hairspray, make sure that you use the stuff, otherwise it'll look suspect. A leatherman is a multi-purpose tool, and if the main blade is under 3 inches, then it's fine.

For the full text of the various Acts, see the following:

Criminal Justice Act 1988: www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880033_en_1.htm

Offensive Weapons act 1996: www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/1996026.htm

Knives Act 1997: www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/1997021.htm

See also: www.cps.gov.uk/legal/section12/chapter_c.html which is a useful guide on the law from the Crown Prosecution Service

And: www.police-law.co.uk/rainertech/policelaw.nsf/Index!OpenForm

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

4. blue eagle

blue eagle New Member

I'd rather not carry around a weapon. it's more fun fighting with your barehands against most opponents anyways. The most common weapon used nowadays are firearms. if they carry a gun and point it at you, any weapon would be too slow to draw anyways. a handgun would have to be unloaded and safety locked to carry around safely. imagine trying to load it when someone's attacking, that'll take about 1 minute. You are better off either coffing up cash or running.

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I agree with the idea that it's bets to cough up the cash when facing a gun, but I disagree about carrying an unloaded pistol. Depending on the safety features, it's best to carry it loaded and be well practiced in drawing and removing the safety. For example, on mine the hammer has to be pulled back to full c ock (there is a "half" for safety) and there is a switch to lock it when it is c ocked. Different pistols have different safeties and its best to examine them carefully before getting one to carry. But, do carry loaded, just exercise caution.

6. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Or... snap your Achilles tendon :eek: , then as you recover you always have a stout walking to hand. :D

7. hellcatassassin

hellcatassassin New Member

i useually use anything im wearing as a weapon!
    belt~whip techniques
    necklace~ (depending on the length and weight you could use either whip chain techniques or nunchaku style)
    spike wrist band ~ brass knuckles
    sash~ use to trap and entangle enemys limbs and wepaons!
    fan~ obviously fan techniques
    umbrella~ i have made my own style for this one! ^^
    unbent safty pins~ throwing needles (takes awhile to get used to)
    and if all else fails just use yours hands ,feet, knees etc.

8. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Surefire E2D Defender

This flashlight looks like a nice replacement for a kubaton, hestitan, yawara stick.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  9. tolchocker

tolchocker Skittles!

my mum got her bag searched at the airport and they found a pair of nail scissors (pretty lethal they were, long, thin, and sharp) they allowed them through on the basis that the blades them selves were to small to cut deep (but the scissors themselves could stab a good few deadly inches into you)

stupid sometimes