Best filling for a punch bag?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by silverfox_y2k, May 24, 2006.

1. silverfox_y2k

silverfox_y2k Valued Member

I just ordered a leather punch bag from the internet that came from Asia, since it would cost way to much for an already filled bag to be shipped to the UK I opted for just the bag itself.

Now I was wondering a) what is the best filling for a punch bag? some people I have spoken to have suggested some old rags, whilst someone has recommended saw dust or sand?!? b) are there places in the UK that could machne fill my bag for me?

Cheers

Mark G

2. EndlessNerd

EndlessNerd Valued Member

do a search for heavy bags in the forum search :)
    most seem to do sand or shredded cloth (like tshirts and such)

3. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Valued Member

You can use tied up rags (old t-shirts or anything of the kind) and saw dust. Good idea while you are doing this is to get a car tire tube and put it in at about head height or lower. Pump it up, and then keep filling to the top.
    This makes an excellent upper cut pad for training and combos.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

if you can find one, the best is one that can accomodate water as a filling.

5. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

My pre-filled bags have rags in them. Pesonally I prefer a mixture of sand and sawdust keepig the sand on the top, After a while the sand drops down the bag giving an even distribution.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

the one at my gym is filled with rags but ensure you fill it to the top :)

7. Kadafee

Kadafee New Member

i got a empty heavy bag aswell last months and i asked around, first i asked ross enamait he suggested saw dust or if i cant then i should get cloth rags and sand and mix it, and i asked the trainers at my boxing gym, they said they mix sand and saw dust

but i ended up mixing cloth rags and sand

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Sand is great. I ordered a motherload for my sandbag training, and used the excess in my heavy bag to even it out. Hard, but with some give, perfect filler.

9. silverfox_y2k

silverfox_y2k Valued Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will try and give it a go I think I will go for maybe a combo of saw dust and rags. I heard if I were to fill it with just sand that it will be really heavy and wall bracket might not with stand it, so will see.

10. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

puppies