Being secretive is a good thing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rivend, Apr 20, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

This is talking about something actually happening in public not on a anonymous forum so don't get your panties in a bunch. :) Oh sorry, not sure oh well...........

Why do people feel the need to discuss their personal business to a total stranger is it sympathy or what please enlighten me on this.Don't they know the first chance this stranger they are speaking to gets a chance to get away their secrets will be public knowledge.

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

So I've got this big wart on my bum and I'm having an affair (very passionate) with the queen of Latvia and I just won the Lottery - but please keep it all a secret :) :) :)

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

A need to tell someone? Depends entirely on what exactly the business is

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

We're social animals. We need interaction. It makes us feel better and helps us deal with situations. Simple as.

5. rivend

rivend Valued Member

OK picture yourself listening to three or four diva type woman sitting around chit chatting. If you are a boyfriend to one of them your privacy and words spoken in confidence is most likely being compromised.By the uncontrolled babbling and overwhelming onslaught of random information.

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

But you can't stop that from happening. The best defence is simply not to have any secrets!

7. Southpaw535

Oh I assumed you were talking about people talking to you about serious things in their life not just general gossiping. It's what people do whether its in public or private and it seems people in groups tend to forget they are in public. Learn to roll with it, its not going to change soon and it really doesn't effect your life in the slightest does it?

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I don't understand this. If you are the boyfriend, why would you be sitting there listening to her gossip to her friends? Shouldn't you be having a beer with your boys, or on a fishing trip, or at the dojo, or doing one of a million other things that doesn't make you want to commit seppuku.

That being said, if you don't want something to get out. Don't tell anybody, and I mean anybody.

9. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I have no deep dark secrets ................OK but a pet peeve of mine is, and this really bothers me. Is if I tell someone something in confidence and they tell someone else.I can't help myself I look at this person completely different and they have lost my trust.Cause they cannot control their need to gossip even about ANYTHING

and to nitpick you Southpaw.... broaden your ability to be flexible and take a conversation/subject in and don't be so focused on a particular point. You may appear argumentative and uppity to some people and they won't like it :) THIS will help you deal with ramblers down the road who jump from subject to subject I just nod my head as if all the information is really of concern.My opinion anyway good luck

10. Southpaw535

They are women ;)
    I do get your point though and I feel the same way its why I keep a lot of my thoughts to myself even around people I know. Only way to be sure :woo:

I am arguementative :D

If someone jumps from subject to subject and doesn't bother to actually look into what someone is saying then I couldn't care less what they think to be honest and its of no consequence to my life.

11. rivend

rivend Valued Member

What don't you understand OMG *caveman*......and yes I am secretive :) but very sympathetic so I hear stuff

I love beer but most of my boys are rehabilitating and cannot even smell the stuff. Drinking alone is in my future......