Battojutsu/iai in Bujinkan/Genbukan/Other?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by ScottUK, Apr 24, 2011.

1. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Of course. To have any idea what Takamatsu passed onto who and why the only resource we can check other than menkyo are Takamatsu's writings and diary, etc., which all seem to be in the possession of Hatsumi sensei.

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Except all the letters he sent to Tanemura sensei, right?

Or was I misinformed about the frequency in which they wrote each other? :confused:

Not trying to be facetious, I honestly don't know.

3. benkyoka

Once again, I have to write, 'Of course'. (does Tanemura-sensei have any of Takamatsu's diaries?)

4. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

You know ben....i know of roy ron shihan examining it...so Tanemura Sensei may have had a copy given to him by Hatsumi S. I think when they were looking for traces of Toda Sensei based on his police expertise.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. benkyoka

Thanks for your answer. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic with my question. Like Banpen Fugyo, I honestly didn't know.

6. Troy Wideman

Troy Wideman Valued Member

Hello Benyoka,

Just for your information. Yes sensei has a copy of the letters and correspondence from Takamatsu to Hatsumi, he was allowed to copy them. He has showed them to the shihan.

Troy

7. gor

gor Valued Member

Hatsumi sensei sure is a giving person.

8. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

From page 17, post 251, me:

If anyone knows of any I've missed (the list that Dunc has posted a few times from Mark Brown is good, but I do note it misses a number of the Togakure Ryu Biken kata), speak up. If you don't know any more than this, then this is probably one of the more complete lists from a Bujinkan side, I guess. Note that this is Bujinkan based, and therefore doesn't include things such as the Kodachi or other weapons of the Ishitani Den Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu, as it's the Mizuta Den taught in the Bujinkan).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  9. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

We were warned so I just want to make sure you understand that these are not personal attacks or digs at you or the Genbukan, just my observations on the movement and culture of the group. Let me just state for the record that Tanemura sensei is very good at what he does. My teacher always says he had good gyaku waza.

However, having watched the Panther series, countless youtube videos, and a few other things(tv spots, etc), I would say that in general, his movement does not demonstrate the same qualities that I see in my teacher or Hatsumi sensei. Hard to explain so I will leave it at that. As for the Genbukan students, I see a lot of similarities, so if you are an execption to that, good for you. However, in general, the uniformity is more reminiscent of Shotokan with weapons and a lot of "Toh"ing.
    Code:

I'll pass thanks. The picture was very nicely composed and good color, thank you for sharing. I guess if we need to continue this discussion we can start another thread or go to PM.

10. Troy Wideman

Hello RealityPlease,

Yes, that is why some people like apple pie and some don't. Different strokes for different folks. I have trained in both and I personally don't like the way the art is expressed in the Bujinkan and the Genbukan fits well with me.
    Doesn't mean one movement is better than the other one because that is up to the individual user to determine.
    Have you ever trained in the Genbukan? I have trained in both.

I am curious though, could you provide a youtube example of the movement you prefer.

Just for note, there is a difference between the jujutsu movement and the ninpo movement. When we learn the ryu ha this is enforced per each style.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Well it looks like a good thread is wrapping up with no real conclusion, but some interesting points made.

Troy - I hope that you can see this scroll and answer some of your own questions, however it isn't guaranteed.

I once gained access to one of these secret Kaceminars and to my chagrin there were no scrolls shown, just a regular class with a way too stiff greenbelt...

12. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site.pl?aboveRenshi

The shihan of the Genbukan have at least one menkyo kaiden at this time. Of course that page needs a bit of an update.

If you train in the ryu-ha, then you train these things.

13. Please reality

I love apple pie(preferably a la mode), and mom. Different Strokes was okay, Dana I had a crush on. Nope, never trained in the Genbukan but Soka is too far away and I already get to train with one of Hatsumi sensei's original students so there is no appeal for me(well okay, maybe hearing more about Tanemura sensei's family style of ninjutsu, but on second thoughts naw).

That page showed jun-shihan, and some really interesting kamae. Lots of cool titles though. If I ever move to Alabama, I will definitely consider visiting a Genbukan dojo. Fair enough?

14. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

In the Genbukan there are three levels of shihan, jun-shihan, shihan, and dai shihan. They are all simply referred to as shihan, so like I said, the shihan on that page have menkyo kaiden.

15. Troy Wideman

Hello RealityPlease,

Why can't you say your teachers name, you keep eluding to it. Be proud of it. Also what rank are you in the Bujinkan? Where do you train?

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

16. Please reality

Yeah, I saw that the jun-shihan had menkyo. Just out of curiosity, what does the hanbo shoden entail?

I train in Japan and am very proud to be my teacher's deshi, however our relationship and all the things he has taught me won't really help you. If you ever came to his dojo I am sure your eyes would be opened though and you might better understand what you are missing. My rank isn't really important but it's over 4dan if you must know. Don't worry, if I ever move to Koshigaya I will visit.

17. Troy Wideman

HI RealityPlease,

Hahhahhaha, okay, I love when people are afraid to say where they are. Who their teacher is. Give me your contact details and I will let you know when I am there. How else can I be impressed, if I can't come see. Currently I am in Canada, don't have to worry about radiation here. Your more then welcome to come by my dojo and say hi anytime.

How are you making out with the nuclear plant?

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

18. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Hanbojutsu used to have a separate ranking system, but now it is part of the bojutsu ranking. I don't know what the requirements were.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  19. Please reality

It's equally funny when people are so myopic they can only come up with one possible justification for anonymity. I guess if we were discussing someone's wife, you would assume if they didn't give you her name and tell you where she's from it would be because they were embarrassed or afraid to tell you. Believe what you wish, it has no bearing on my life or training. I guess since you can't elaborate on the requisites for achieving the different levels(shoden, etc.), their isn't really much else that needs to take up more bandwith on this issue. If you wish to continue discussing this, feel free to PM me.

By the way, the situation in Tohoku is very tragic, not something to make light of. Maybe when you come to Japan next you can see for yourself.

20. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

OK guys lets cool the jets OK. For the record there is a huge nuke plant an hour from Wideman Sensei.

But lets keep it civil K