Batman v Superman

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mushroom, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Geek hat on.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y"]Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

HELLL YEAH!!!

ahem.

It's rather pleasant to see.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Not impressed. Hoping the film proves me wrong.

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm with Chadderz on this one. The trailer didn't leave me massively impressed. Wonder Woman had me more excited.

4. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Awesome!! Cannot wait!

5. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I really hope they don't try and have superman fight batman, but otherwise it looks good.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

All the indications point to a variation on the fight from the Dark Knight Returns. In that one Batman fought Superman and won (by stacking the deck to weaken Superman through superior tactics and using his far greater skill) but also died (deliberately in a prearranged faked death) at the end (as he didn't want to kill Superman). There are certainly a number of images that have resonances of iconic moments in that film. We may have a twist on that fight with one or the other being prevented from finishing the job. We know there will be a test of some kind that results in the two of them reconciling as that is the foundation of Justice League.

There are some very interesting hints in the trailer. Looks like Batman may be getting distracted or egged on by the Joker - and possibly that the joker knows his identity in this one. Luthor also seems to be playing them off against the other .

7. Pretty In Pink

And now there is kryptonite. Which evens the odds. The Dark Knight Returns are two excellent animated films and I highly recommend them to anyone interested in this film.

8. boards

I have only seen the cartoon, but that really annoyed me because it gave Superman all the defensive techniques of a WWE star. Supermans only speed was going in a straight line, unable to dodge Batman moving at human speed (even if its cartoon human speed :) ).

9. Mushroom

That was Batman's general gripe towards Superman as well, that he actually doesn't have a fighting style and he doesn't need it because S is a living God...until Kryptonite comes into the mix.

10. boards

Thing is Superman is so fast that Batman's punches would be as easy for him to dodge as a paper aeroplane. It would be like the fight in Immortals where the gods jump down and splatter the humans about to kill the heroes (in speed at least, not the violence level), if not Quicksilver in Days of Future Past.

If you have Superman fight humans (even in exosuits) then you either have to ignore all of his powers except durability, or hit him with kryptonite before the fight and IIRC the scene, GA doesn't shoot the arrow until the fight is nearly over.

Superman should stick to fighting superhuman foes and Batman should stick to street levelers.

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think Zack Snyder should stop making superhero movies.

12. Mushroom

Yup, hence Batman always armed with a Kryptonite ring. These 2 are the ultimate "frenemies".
    Superman doesn't like Batman's way of doing things and what he does to himself. But respects him as he is simply a human in body armour and trained to near perfection.
    Batman doesn't like Superman as with that kind of power he can right a lot more wrongs easier but also thinks he is too naive on how things should work.

But back to the movie. There was early designs that in the Bat-Armour there would be Kryptonite knuckles and as JWT says, it will be based on the Dark Knight Returns fight (obviously different ending)
    We'll see when this comes out and see how it all pans out.

I can be very nit picky with the trailer (the curse of being a)big DC fan b) being involved in film background but I also try to hold back )

13. John Titchen

We've already had the confirmation in the previous movie in this continuity that Kryptonians can be confused, slowed and disorientated by atmospheric changes and that Kal El is vulnerable in his own planet's atmosphere. If Kryptonite is introduced into the mix to lower Superman's speed and strength to that of an ordinary strong human then the more skilled, experienced and intelligent Batman will own him every time. We've also had the end of movie calling card that Batman is tracking and testing Superman's powers (the downed satellite).

In the Dark Knight returns the Kyrptonite is fired until the end because Superman would evade it if he was on the ball. He is distracted physiologically and psychologically by what he has been hit with before.

14. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

15. Mushroom

16. Pretty In Pink

Anyone seen the suicide squad trailer? I think the films will be interlinked.

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

More excited for Ant Man personally.

Superman doesn't interest me anyway because he's such a superhero he's boring. Any fight with him versus another non demi-god person should start and end with Superman lazer beaming them to ashes at his opening move.

The only way to make it halfway interesting is with kryptonite and even then its an incredibly blatant plot device shoved in to give some explanation for why the lazer beaming isn't happening. And if kryptonite's the answer, why do I care about Batman? Give Kryptonite to Harley Quinn and have her beat him.

Although if they do want to do some crossover demi-god beating thing: Batman versus Skorpion :p

18. John Titchen

The thing that makes Batman v Superman interesting (not necessarily in terms of conflict but in terms of interaction) is their different approaches to identity (in public and private), morality and humanity. Added to that when you see film dynamic together you come back to variations on the old Tarrantino/Bill question (which has its origins before that film):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_cEoK1mXms"]Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (10/12) Movie CLIP - Superman and Clark Kent (2004) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Of course the interesting counter to this is that psychologically, depending on your viewpoint, Superman is actually Clark Kent - that is who he was raised to be, Superman is just something he does. Superman is the alter-ego, albeit one where he reveals his true physical nature. Bruce Wayne however, as has often been illustrated in different stories, Bruce Wayne is the alter ego. Once Bruce became Batman, Bruce became the act and the alter ego.

19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm thinking about it and, in general, I have very low expectations for any DC franchise after Christopher Nolan left batman. I don't think that whoever is making decisions about these films understands why the Dark Knight trilogy was successful. They've attempted to ape it by making a very somber, very serious, superman movie, but I think that failed for the same reasons that BvS will fail. A serious tone and an exploration of morality only works if you've got a really tight script and really grand writers. Marvel's set the bar lower, all I expect from their films is fun. A great variety of authors can write fun. But to try and use Snyder to mimic Nolan just seems like you're setting yourself up for failure.

20. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I've gotta be honest, I saw the trailer and just though "lolwut". It looks ridiculously tedious.

Now the Deadpool trailer. THAT looks fun :D.

Overall I'm inclined to agree with this. Superman, as a character, is pretty weak. As a personality, not fantastic.

However, I am looking forward to seeing Batman kicking the snot out of him (I hope).

At range though, Superman's laser eyes would still work. There would be no need for him to get close enough for Batman & the Kryptonite to work effectively.

That aside, there are environmental factors to take into account which can make a difference. Further to that, Superman can't actually fight at super speed. He can move super fast, but his reaction time et al is actually pretty regular.

Plus, he has no actual fighting style or training.

That would be pretty cool :)

I know it's lame, but I'd love to see Spiderman & Batman go toe to toe.