Batman Begins

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Scotty Dog, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Joe Chill was the guy in the comics who killed Bruce's parents!

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Decent film, I'd give it 7/10. Thought the story suffered slightly when gadgets and effects took over from storyline. But definitely worth watching!

3. itchyfeet

itchyfeet Valued Member

In response to samurai1986:

Keysi's website is www.keysikfm.com but it's currently under construction. There are contact details on there. From what I can gather, it's only UK based.

The current issue of Martial Arts Illustrated features Keysi / Batman as the cover story if anyone's interested.

4. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I liked the movie....cool car chase scene ;)

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Regarding posts #97, 101, 102 -- I watched the movie again (and loved it, again) and paid close attention to that scene. I still don't see Bruce Wayne making poses. He's just punching and grabbing. To my eyes, he's not doing characteristic poses from several martial arts. (And I still don't think 7 years is enough time for him to do everything he did.)

But, no matter. Great movie. I think I'll watch it a 3rd time before the week is out.

6. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Yes I agree with you I saw it again as well and it is clear that Bruce is very aggressive but that he is not attacking with any particular style he is just coming forward with force. The Ducard character is however calling out the styles as he counters Bruce and than attacks him. So whoever the individual was who I conversed with some time ago and we discussed that very issue I now stand corrected you were right and I was wrong. And as for the seven year training sequence I agree with you again. In the comics Bruce embarks on his trainining at the age of 7 or 8 and returns to Gotham at somewhere between the age range of 25 to 27. So that's an approximate time period of roughly two decades. And also Bruce is not only trained in Martial Arts and combat systems he also trained in other areas as well. Areas such as forensic science, foreign languages, dectective/policing skills, tracking/hunting techniques and a host of others. So 7 years is by no means long enough for someone to perform what Batman is able to do. But you must remember that its the movie not the comic and they have to appear to a broad audience that might not appreciate a 2 hour segment showing nothing but training as the men and women on this website would. I even heard some non-martial artists who liked the movie say they felt the training portions of the film were too long.

But personally I've got no complaints, I went to see it more than once in the movie theatre and I don't normally do that. They did their thing, I can't wait for the sequel.

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

The single greatest line in the film, spoken by Alfred, when Bruce Wayne's trapped beneath a burning piece of timber: "What good are all those push-ups, if you can't lift a log?" That pretty much sums up intelligent strength training for the martial artist. ;) :D

8. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

yeah. I near wet myself at that, and people were looking at me funny, but I just thought (ironically)you dont get it....and your not alone!

9. aikiMac

I meant that for having supposedly learned leopard and tiger and JJ and whatever it was that Ducard called out (whatever it was) before even meeting Ducard, and doing everything else that he did in his world travels, he didn't have enough time. Ya, in the comics the timeline was markedly different.

10. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Glad to see this post is still open because I never get tired of talking about Batman. I'd like to make a replacement BeWaterMyFriend I liked that line a lot and it did come at a pivotal point in the movie but I was a little more excited closer to the beginning. When Ducard asks Bruce, "do you still feel guilty about your parent's death?" And Wayne responds,"my anger outweighs my guilt." And than Ducard says, "come with me." At that point I knew I was in for something special. But then again those are a combination of lines not a single one. So you might be right that might be the single best line I don't know I liked the movie too much to narrow it down I guess that means I gotta see it again. :D

11. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Its the first Batmobil or the "Tumbler"

I went to see the movie a couple of weeks ago and I think the "Tumbler" or the first Batmobil is actually the coolest vehicle ever. Its supposed to be a army vehicle developed by Wayne Enterprises (original colour sand with brown patches)and only gets coloured black after Bruce decides to use it. Imagine this: 220 mph top speed, Hummer tires in front, Chevy V8 with 500 bhp in the back, twin Off-road tires on each side of the back. And you should see this vehicle drive in the movie !!! Awesome !! Apparently it was in Leicester Square at the Premiere of the movie here and was given a parking ticket by the Police.......

Small critic of the ending of the movie though: Even though it was supposed to tie in with the "Batman" movie how was Ltn. Gordon at that time supposed to know that the "Joker" was going to be at large if that actually took place, I think about 15-20 yrs. (judging by the amount of aging by both Gordon and Batman in "Batman") later and Jack Napier wasn't actually the "Joker" yet ?

P.S: I saw pictures of the vehicle being the pace car for a NASCAR and a Tundersport race. Imagine having this in real. :):)

[​IMG]

Christian

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  12. aikiMac

Watched it a 3rd time last night. I'm all silly grins like a kid in a candy store. [Insert lots of :D and :p ]This one is on my list of movies I can watch 20 times and still enjoy it. They sure did it right. Wow, they sure did it right. :D

Speaking of great lines, Ducard's speech in the jail cell about paths and becoming something beyond yourself is excellent. I gotta find the script on the web and save that one. That's worth revisiting from time to time.

But for "most important or pivotal line in the movie" I nominate Bruce's statement that compassion is important because it's what separates the criminals from those who fight crime. :eek: He makes a really good point there.

Question, though, for the Batman geeks: How did Batman separate the train cars so that he could escape? I still can't see what happened after watching it three times! Argh!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  13. special43543

special43543 Special Member

Gordon was in the tumbler and shot down the things that was supporting the tracks in the air. How did you miss that 3 times? lol

14. aikiMac

But what does that have to do with separating the cars and blowing the back wall off so that Batman could fly away?

15. aikiMac

I was at a bookstore today looking for Beverly Cleary books, and spotted a "Batman Begins" movie memorandum. A little blurb said he used a pocket mine to blow off the back of the train. Ahhhh -- I suppose it was the same as the two he used to get out of the asylum. That makes sense. The book also says that he threw his batarang at the windshield of the train. Looked more like a side window to me. Whatever.

16. tengu

tengu Capoeirista "Paparazzi"

Yeah, me too Sever, just caught a glimpse of a rising thinking man elbow, fights were visceral and brutal though....which is good. Though it was good to see the after-effects of the fights though, heavy bruising etc.