Basics

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Specter, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Specter

Specter New Member

I practice judo, and my friends and I are going to the local marine sparring place to do some, well, sparring. The problem is that the place has this rule where whoever is using the mat gets to use it until they are beaten. Now, I'm only an average judoka yet, but I can hold my own enough that sparring in judo isn't a problem. The problem is that most of the marines use the mats for boxing, and will probably want to spar either in pure boxing or the "marine art" which is a combination of american boxing, kickboxing, and judo. I'm perfectly willing to go out having never taken a boxing lesson and have the life pummeled out of me, but I was wondering if anyone has some basic info, tips, tricks, poems, dance moves, car parts, whatever, that might keep me alive? Thanks

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Take some classes ;)

You can't learn to box over the internet.

But keep your hands high, circle, don't let your hands extend away from you for defence. Circle some more, don't turn away, throw lots of jabs, then throw more jabs, everytime you punch step, try not to be in front of him, but keep him in front of you.

3. Specter

Specter New Member

Rockin, thanks. I'll do my best to keep that in mind. Also, does anyone have any information on this marine combination fighting style that I would find useful?

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Play to your own strengths (dont box a boxer). Use your judo experience and take them down that way you should avoid their strengths such as punching and kicking. With practise and getting punched and kicked around a bit you'll soon pick up your striking range and therefore striking will become easier.

Either way just get in there and enjoy yourself. :D

6. Specter

Specter New Member

Well just thought I'd give you guys the end of my story. Went, got a full ippon against one of the guys, he didn't get up, was happy. Realized about 5 minutes later I had a black eye and a bloody nose. So in short, pain was distributed evenly all around, I got some boxing pointers, and I'm sure I'll do better next week. Thanks for everyone's help

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

What did you learn from the experience?

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

That a bloody nose don't stop a good grappler ;)

Or to duck? :D

Col