Balance Training for CP

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Shiro Kuma, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

I am kind of new here, sorry if this has been asked before. I am looking for specific balance exercises to improve the kicking ability of someone with mild Cerebral Palsy.

Anyone have any ideas? :)

2. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

More Info

I may be able to offer some suggestions, but I need to know a couple of things. First, do you currently have the proper range of motion to perform kicks effectively? Second, what degree of balance do you have normally? I too have mild CP, but lack the ROM to throw effective kicks. Therefore, all of my kicks have been changed to a knee or elbow depending on the technique.

3. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

Sorry for the lack of information. I am training someone with CP. We have been working together for about one and a half years.

He has excellent range of motion and flexibility in his legs and arms. His range of motion is also very good. He has some problems with balance and coordination. While he can throw one kick pretty well, he often has trouble following up because he has to reset his balance when he puts his foot down. his footwork can also be awkward at times. He seems to have pretty good balance normally, although he has an unusual gait pattern. He also tends to never stand still, I don't know if this is because of Cerebral Palsy.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but he is also deaf.

He is really beginning to develop his sparring and ground skills, and I believe he has a lot of talent. I want to take his training to the next level.

I tried to private message this to you, I am not sure if you got it or not. I hope my client doesn't lurk in forums :cool:

4. disabledhero

disabledhero jab jab elbow jab knee

cool you train people with cp and i lead a class full of abled bodied people sometimes,and i havve cp

5. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

SK - I replied to your PM. Did you get it?

6. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

No, I don't have anything in my inbox. I am kind of new at this, I wasn't sure if you received it or not.

7. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

That's cool. Do you do a lot of sparring? I read in one of the other posts that a lot of people with disabilities don't like sparring or sparring in competition. :confused:

I have been focusing primarily on self-defense and sparring, including break falls, throws, grappling, and joint locks.

Would form training be very beneficial?

8. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Awesome

SK - Your training approach sounds great. I think forms training would be beneficial. It will strengthen his legs, and improve mobility. I would also do a great deal of leg strengthening exercises with him. Squats, lunges, frog jumps, etc. Kettlebells have helped me improve my leg strength dramatically. Also, a friend of mine who is a ballet dancer once told me to focus on balancing on the end of my tailbone rather than my feet. She said that is how dancers can do all of their spins, jumps, and turns without falling down. This makes sense considering that is where our center of gravity is located. I hope this has been helpful.

9. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

Thanks,

I will begin to incorporate that into the training plan starting next week. I hope I can order kettlebells through my company. :)

10. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Glad I Could Help

SK - Glad I could help. I recommend finding someone who is experienced with KBs before using them yourself or with your student. DragonDoor.com is a great resource for finding a certified instructor in your area. My instructor is an RKC Team Leader with Pavel. I can offer tips and exercise suggestions based upon my own knowledge and experience, but there are many more qualified than I that can teach you KB basics. Your time and effort will be well spent. I am not saying that KBs are the end all be all of fitness experience, but the rapid gains in total strength, mobility, and endurance are enough to make them a valuable tool in any one's gym. Keep me posted.

11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

12. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Coach Sonnon

ITS - Great link. My instructor has also trained with Coach Sonnon. I got to meet him at the '05 Arnold Classic. Great guy and very skilled.

13. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yeah Coach Sonnon certainly has some great material. Must have been interesting to meet the guy!