Bad Boxing Videos and Critiques w/o Off Topic Videos

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Hapuka, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

Saw this on youtube randomly and had to share it.

It's not technically a 'boxing' video, but it does contain a terrible attempt at boxing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5UFB5Chwgo&feature=related"]Police Tactics Against Boxers - YouTube[/ame]

Here, the fellow taking the 'boxing stance' is not taking a boxing stance, he's very stiffly putting his hands in front of his face. He appears to have his hips facing full on to his opponent and his hands are in an inefficient position.
    But to be fair, I've seen people who claim to be teh ubber hard self-trained boxers-of-the-street take such a stance. I once knew a guy who's learned his boxing from the wii; he'd take a similar stance.

The instructor does not acknowledge the possibility of the 'boxer' being able to move backwards. I think any competent sports person would instinctively move back when the instructor carries on with his eye pokes.
    From personal experience, I know getting poked in the eye with something blunt like a knuckle (or something covered in latex) hurts a lot but it's not necessarily a fight ender. You can indeed move backwards whilst keeping your guard up, until you convince yourself you're fine.

I don't know may good boxers who would be susceptible to having their hands garbed and pushed towards their eyes, mainly due to a proper stance making that a lot harder than it looks in the video, but also most sports people aren't stiff robots and can move their arms or even resist should someone else grab them.
    I would argue that the ability to grab someone's hands and push them around / fold them up is very much a function of tension in your opponent, your own good fluid whole body moments and the space you keep. The defending 'boxer' in this video is as stiff as a post. A girl guild could push him off balance.

There are quite a few other things I could have picked on, but meh, you can't do it all.

There's a quote from the video I like "[when you're fighting a boxer] throw your hands up to distract them."

2. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

A Boxer is more likely to clip someone with a hook before they have their own fists poked into their eyes.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm totally going to try that in sparring at the gym soon. I expect to either get a 1,2 straight down the pipe into my face, or catch a lovely hook. Maybe a body shot if it's a more experienced sparring partner.

That was horrible.

4. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

I found another one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3IUtSHqqyo&feature=related"]How To Defend Against Boxing - YouTube[/ame]

I have to admit I'm not a grappler and I haven't tried out the technique in the video, however, I feel justified in being extremely skeptical that it could work: I just can't see how this shoulder thing would knock me over if I had my weight in my back foot. I suspect all that'd happen would be I'd have a guy clinging to my front shin. If he'd gone for the hips I'd be a lot more impressed, but he went for the ankle.

I suppose the person in this video could argue that you preform this technique when the person has their weight in their front leg. But I'm very skeptical about whether anyone could do that to a resisting person who could shift their weight and move around. In the video the partner just stands their with his jab outstretched whist the instructor does his shoulder thing. I don't think this technique would work on someone who's used to shifting their weight and moving around.

5. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

I'm afraid i followed another youtube link. This isn't technically boxing either, but it is labeled 'tactical punching' so it should be full of principles good boxers will recognize as sound....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbNoZWEQw9c&feature=related"]ChosonNinja (follow punch #1) techniques video #046 - YouTube[/ame]

I'll go for the point that seemed the most obvious to me:
    These punches leave the puncher very exposed for a counter.
    The instructor seems to have lost both his ability to counter and his guard at the end of executing these punches. He carries on swinging, leaving his yummy face open.
    A guard is not maintained. This seems very risky indeed, as an opponent could very plausibly evade or endure this attack.

When he demonstrates pushing aside the student's leading guard arm and punching his face, I think it demonstrate more that that student needs to work on his stance and guard, rather than convincing me of the effectiveness of the punch.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  6. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

That's a low single.

[​IMG]

Not really a technique I use so I can't tell you much about it; Y'know who could though 4 time world champion, 2 time pan american champion, and 2 time Olympic champion John Smith.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPF7zKfN94"]John Smith: How Low Can You Go, II - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3evFQ9OvEE4&feature=fvwrel"]John Smith Tribute - YouTube[/ame]