Axe fighting?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Knight_Errant, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Does anybody know of any styles, schools etc. that use rather large axes? Only the recent purchase of a chainsaw has left 'lucy' redundant.

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Lucy? No, nevermind.

I can't imagine there being many schools that would teach axe fighting as the techniques are fairly easy to puzzle out and axes aren't really built to defend.

Swing up, swing down, turn in the air. You can sort of guard with an axe but its not really designed for it, so essentially the plan is to kill them before they can hurt you. Of course, with a good heavy axe one blow is usually enough to put them out of business. I'd say just practice controlling the axe and a few swings.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

STAVIT!!!!!!!!!

4. Adam

Adam New Member

I believe that Glima wrestling used axes as a part of that art, but it was the art of the vikings. It is still taught some places I hear.

5. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

You can easily improvise with choppers instead of butterfly swords but a full size axe is a bit much hehe.

Rgds,
    David

6. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

7. Knight_Errant

8. khafra

khafra New Member

I think chainsaw fighting would be more fun, personally.

9. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

well there area few groups that teach the use of the pole axe.
    http://www.aemma.org
    and chekc out http://www.axeforum.com its devoted to people who like axes (go fig) nad i am sure you could find resources there.

But an axe is a very simmple weapon to use not quite as simple as ckdstudent makes it seem. There is more using an axe than just trying to split his skull.
    You can use the axe head to trap weapons. and limbs even a normal wood axe can be used to hook limbs out of the way.
    Axes made for fighting and not for chopping wood had a very large cutting surface in relation to where its socketed to the haft.
    making a nice hook. So I guess you if you had a fighting axe you could use some cane fighting techniques (not that I know any)

if you want pratcie using an axe you could tie a tire to a tree limb and practice hitting the moving tire.

Good luck in mastering axe play.

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Kinda weeds out your sparring partners doesn't it? A couple of good whacks and thats it. Or....is there any one here you'd LIKE to spar against w/axes?

11. Cudgel

easy round up strays and use them to test cut :D
    Or pull a samurai onsome unsuspecting fool.

On a more serious note (not ure if Kwajman is joking or not)
    you get a practice axe or make one.
    check out
    Sites for buying practice axes
    www.woodenswords.com
    www.woodenweapons.com
    A site with plans for a making a sparring axe
    www.thehaca.com
    these site also have more WMA stuff on them.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yes I'm joking, unleeesssss, there IS someone you'd like to spar with, yea, just joking again....

13. Cudgel

just checking
    although I do need some one to hold the target for my knife/axe trhowing any volunteers??

14. Knight_Errant

Thanks cudgel :)

15. Cudgel

Your welcome

16. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

Jow Ga Kung Fu uses double axes.