Avoiding Common TKD Training Mistakes

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by KickChick, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Jane Lane

Jane Lane New Member

I don't agree that training only twice a week results in poor performance and progress. I understand that more classes mean you don't forget techniques, you get more practise and it is a sign dedication. But on the other hand, others may find the same amount of training too strenuous or ill-suited to their life-style/reasons for training, and detrimental to their progress.

And there are people like myself who are unable to attend classes more than often, (while TKD is a very important part of my life, I'm just not at a stage of my life/education where I can focus entirely on my training), but make up for it with enthusiasm and dedication. While I find TKD very addictive and would enjoy more classes, I don't necessarily think that my ability would improve because of them. I practise at home, get regular excercise and I'm always running through techniques in my head. In class, I'm focused on what I can achieve, and also what I can work on for the next lesson. I haven't found that my progress has suffered in any way at all.

TKD is a way of life that doesn't just exist in the Dojang. Just because one does not train 5 times a week or more, it doesn't mean that person is any less dedicated to the art. I think it's more about attitude, and how you use your knowledge and time.

A common 'mistake' I've noticed is shyness inhibiting ability. Many students, (particularly new ones), are too shy to kihap and use full power. It's a sign that the pupil is not comfortable in his/her ability and with fellow pupils, and while this should improve with time, if an instructor and fellow pupils don't make an effort to help to build up that person's confidence, it can often act as barrier to the student's full potential for quite some time.

Also, I agree that a lack of control is a common mistake, particularly in sparring. Sparring isn't just about beating your oponent. When I first started sparring, I found it very intimidating, and with certain partners, I didn't learn anything except for how to run away from them! In contrast to this, what I learn from patient, more mature students, is invaluable and irreplacable.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I agree with you Jane, It is hard to train more than 2 times a week when you work. With that said though, there are ways to get in more training time around your work/social life.

I recently got a few of the blackbelts from my dojang to train with me outside of class 3 times a week. Thats on top of my 2 days of class time. I got a personal instructor at the gym to help me work on my plyometrics and strenght programs and they are really helping me.

I also have learned how to train at home effectivly thanks to the black belts and the drills that we perform.

Wake up early, if you have work at 8, get up at 6 and you have 1.5hrs of training. Nothing feels better than a hard workout in the morning and it leaves your clearheaded and feeling energetic the rest of the day.

My mate who does Ninjustu trained only once a week at a dojang, he spent 2 hrs everyday at home going over what they learnt. His training didnt suffer. He is one of the best fighters I have ever seen.

The only real problem with not going 3 times a week, is that you wont grade very fast. If getting up the grades doest worry you (it does really worry me) then its fine.

Good luck. :)

3. Jane Lane

Jane Lane New Member

Hi Knightcommander,

My point was more about training in the dojang - I definitely agree that if you do only train twice a week, you need to put in the hours elsewhere, (I think it's great you get together to train with other black belts) - If you don't, not only is your development going to suffer, but also it might be a sign that you're not interested enough.

At my club, there's a minimum of 3 months between gradings for lower belts, and 6 months for higher belts, which most people find is plenty to get up to standard. But I guess I'll find out for myself, as I gain more experience.

I regret not starting TKD earlier. I'm at college and get up at 6 every day so I can go for a quick jog. After college, I go to work and then start my school work at 9. Things get particularly hectic around exams. But having made all those excuses, my problem actually is making myself go to college/work, rather than TKD. On my 2 evenings off, I go to the dojang and I spend all my spare time practising what I can. TKD is incredibly addictive!

It'll definitely get harder when I get to higher belts, but hopefully when I go to uni next year, I'll have more time. I was just trying to say that while more training is ideal, if you're really determined, I believe you can achieve anything you put your mind to; Where there's a will, there's always a way! :)

4. NaughtyKnight

Damn straight.

TKD is one of the most addictive things I have ever done. I choose it over my ex (which lead to us breaking up) and I would do it all again.

I love my patterns. Even when Im at work I practise them.

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

of course it is possible to improve with 2 training sessions a week, but the question is what kind of improvment you are trying to achieve. if you want to be a competitor 2 training sessions a week are definitely not enough.

6. NaughtyKnight

Of course. If you want to be able to compete you have to train longer and harder then anyone else, but the training doesn't always have to be with your master. If you can only get to class 2days a week, then spend 10 more hrs a week at home practising.

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

if you mean ''at home'' as in ''at home on your own'' then i don't think of it as a good idea, if you want to be a competitor. sparring can't be practised on your own.

8. NaughtyKnight

I meant outside of class. You can get a few mates from class to come over and spar with you.

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

that's great, and it is important to practice, but if you practice, it doesn't necessarily mean that you improve, because you need skilled guidance, i.e. someone who will tell you what you are doing wrong and why and of course how to avoid it and improve. so, i'm afraid that the amount of practice discussed here is not enough to be a competitor.

10. NaughtyKnight

Well if you wanted to compete high up, then you would be training with your master full time. Im talking about thoes students that wish to compete but not at an extremly high level.

The best bet is to get private lessons with your master every so often. This way he can check your progress one on one and help you improve your technique. My master really helped me with my spinning hook kick and skipping cresent kick. I spent hours working on them, but the one private lesson was all i really needed.

11. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

I have not been on here for a while, and I didn't have time to read all the posts on this thread, but I always had a gripe that the instructors I have had pushing the students too quickly, regardless of age. We used to do kicking drills where beginners, myself included, would barely finish the technique, if that, and the kiyap to execute again had already been given. How should a beginner tackle the over-enthusiastic or sadistic, take yourpick, instructor? Getting the basics can take time, how do we slow things down to take into account our inexperience?

12. NaughtyKnight

I dont know about you, but I enjoy my master pushing me hard. We dont stop the whole lesson.

I learned much quicker than I would of if we went slowly, and I wouldnt be as conditioned as I am now.

Work on your basics at home, learn how to do them in class and perfect them with loads of training.

13. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

Also, one point I didn't have time to make, when being pushed, how can you minimize injuries?

14. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

In my school white belts are told that for them getting the technique right is more important than speed. They all gain speed given time.

change instructor?

15. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

Please understand, I pose these questions for people who are just starting out. I have been through this before already, so I am just trying to foster discussion. I value everyone's answers, but they are not necessarily for me. Thanks.

16. NaughtyKnight

Proper execution of break falls.

17. SavageHenry

SavageHenry New Member

The biggest mistake at my club that I've come across is not working on pads properly. When doing punching drills you are not helping your partner if you are pulling the pads back from their punch or not offering resistence. The other day I had a guy who was moving backwards while I was trying to punch, I kept trying to get him to stop doing that but he refused. I don't think he understood that what he was doing could have hyperextended my arms, but I did so I had to train at half power so as to not injure myself. Holding pads improperly for kicks can be problematic too. The point of training pads is to get a feel for kicking PROPERLY, not to learn to kick at crazy angles that don't make sense (once again I train with some people that don't get this idea). Not to mention if those pads are held at crazy angles it hurts to kick them because thats not a natural way to kick. A nice 45 degree angle for round kicks works.

I find that if I hold the pads properly I can help work punches with anybody in the class (thats right even the 250 pound beast types). That little bit of resistence you give back actually protects your arms... On the other hand regardless of how I hold the pads the kicks seem to rattle me a bit if they're way huge. But it's martial arts not pattycake so i deal. But it really irks me when people hold pads improperly and refuse to correct it because it causes problems (and possible injury) for the people that want to really train.

18. kchenault

kchenault Valued Member

Let me clarify my statement on pushing. I meant pushing your body too fast and hard to please your instructors, not an altercation with someone. My advice, don't. If they don't like it, take your business elsewhere. Your wellbeing is more important than his wallet.

19. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

One thing that really bugs me in my class is that a few people (one particularly) just dont try. Why go to class at all if you're not going to listen to the instructor?! Then if working w/ parteners you have to waste time explaining the drill that the instructor JUST explained.

Oh, one more, this has already been touched on so i will keep it brief : Accelerated ranking. I have been training three years and I'm a Blue 1. A little low for three years, I dont test every opportunity. There are people who cant even get through Chun Ji without trouble who are higher ranked then me. I should NOT have to explain to a RED BELT what the 8th move is in Dan Gun!

Now you've gotten me worked up!!! ;)

-DocQ (<-- hyperventalating) :D

20. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I would agree,some folks seem to get belt/rank crazy and move on before getting their current material up to par.

My big mistake in my early training was trying to kick too high too fast.I was'nt getting the basic mech of some kicks and at 90 degrees my kicks where good,at head height,they where sloopy with no power.Its easy,especially in a taekwondo class to get caught up in the high kicking frenzy.For me atleast(this may not apply to everyone) I would say get work your kicks low until they are good and strong for a while,than start reaching for the sky.After I went low for about six months,head height got a LOT easyier.Thats my 2 cents.