Attacked at work by drunk

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Tman, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Tman

Tman Valued Member

So I'm at work today in London, I work on a shop floor.
    A female colleauge is getting distressed by this drunk homeless person, I step in and this man is in my face. I'm very aware that CCTV is recording what's happening, and that if i deck this 50 year old homeless man I'm going to cause damage, and then be in court. I put up a 'fence' and he swings at me which I block. He then kicks betwenn my legs which is mainly absorbed by my inner thigh. Me and two other male workmates usher him outside, he attempts to kick two of us, we both block and avoid, the police then arrest him.

Naturally, I'm now running this over in my head. I really wish I'd landed a good hard blow on him. I do Wing Chun, I'm not necessarily tough, but can throw a good punch/kick.. I'm going off traveling soon, and don't want to appear in front of a judge for 'excessive force.' I made it clear in front of the cameras that I wasn't touching the person in any way. The police informed me that he will get 3 to 6 months. I have a very slightly, barely noticeable sore groin this evening from the kick. Nothing really. I feel good about stepping in to protect my female work mate, but would loved to have left the man with a little 'lesson.' Perhaps I was being too cautious and should have returned a blow?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

nah, you did well. too risky with cctv. law > manly pride.

3. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

What is "putting up a fence"? :)

LOL! You shouldn't have wrote this... ;) Trolls will come now from under the bridges and turn this thread into one more endless debate...

Seriously now... Good for you... You did all you had to do to protect your colleague and not to injure the attacker who is obviously a troubled man (to put it politely)... Punching such an individual would have brought nothing good...

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

He was drunk, he wouldn't know that he learned a lesson until he sobered up and saw the video. You did the right think, minimal force and got the same result as if you pounded the bejesus out of him.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Don't worry, you can't be done with excessive force if you are using wing chun. :)

Seriously though, well done, you did the right thing (grappled with him) :p

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Very much this.

The guy was drunk and homeless, beating on him, despite him throwing the first punch, adds to his heap of troubles and proves what? You can beat up a homeless drunk guy?

Your priority there, being a decent human being, is actually to look after two people: your colleague who seems to have needed your help, and a man who cannot really take care of himself anymore.

You did well by both of them, I think you should be proud of yourself. The only way the outcome could have been better was if you talked the homeless guy down and got him to leave with no form of confrontation.

Mitch

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'm with you up until here. The man was evidently a danger to himself and others. Talking him down and letting him go would have left him that way - him being arrested removes the danger.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Dr. lecter approves your chosen course of action....both personally and professionally!

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's quite common to fantasise about what you could have done in a fight but didn't afterwards. Usually you want to hurt them a bit more than you did. It might even be instinctive. But realistically, it's much better that you keep things in proportion and act within reason. How would your employers have reacted had you seriously injured the man? How would you have explained it to the police? It's a much better sign that you were able to remain relatively calm. Society has certain accepted rules regarding violence. It is not true that there are 'no rules on t3h thtw33t'- that's just macho crap. Kick a copper in the balls and call me a liar.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I think it was a good choice not to strike him. A better and safer choice next time might just be to report him to the police and never physically confront them in the first place unless absolutely necessary.

11. Hannibal

*OW*

Liar!

12. Knight_Errant

How were you able to kick yourself in the balls?

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

One of the perks of getting old.

14. Hannibal

Inverted heel/sickle kick...just bring it up sharply with a pronounced angle of the knee

Plus my balls are huge

15. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

You used the absolute minimum force required, you have a small bruise, he's getting 3-6 months. That's a win on all levels!

If you had struck him, you would likely have been charged because it doesn't sound like he was that much of a threat. You did everything right, be proud of that.

16. Knight_Errant

Do they teach you how to do that at cop school or whatever they call it?

17. Hannibal

No...it's a hobby! :)

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

tutorial plz

19. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

Well done for showing self control I think. No pride in smacking a drunk homeless guy just 'cos you could of.

20. You did well, you are safe and everybody else... 3-6 months will bring him to spring; not a bad deal!

You may want to revisit the concept of fence; from your description, you allowed it to be breached without reacting as per instructions... Not that it is bad, but if it is a fence, it comes with all the attributes, up to the GO button!

OSu!

Osu,

In this context, it is using Geoff Thompson self defense technique of using your arms to physically put a boundary on the territory that defines your private space.
    (you put your arms forward, palms up or down, in a nonthreatening manner, but you are ready.)

If your assailant touches the fence, you react violently by pushing him back and away. If he touches a second time, it is the GO button!

Osu!