Arnis stances

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Broadshade, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Broadshade

Broadshade New Member

Hi,

I am looking for picture guide to the basic stances, blocks, etc for arnis, do you know of any websites or books which have clear diagrams to follow

thanks,

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There are certainly books that feature some FMA technique. But you can't learn effectively from a book. Have you got a teacher?

As for stances, they're not really all that prevalent in FMA. At least, they're not codified in the way that some styles codify them. You might use something resembling a front stance in karate. (We called it a largo mano stance in my first school.) But it's less about the specific posture and more about getting your legs out of the way and your weapon to the opponent's targets.

Footwork is much more heavily emphasized than stance, though the two are obviously pretty closely related. There are various footwork systems in FMA. But many of them revolve around a triangular or X-shaped pattern (the X really just being the nexus of four triangles, if you look closely).

As for blocks (parrys, interceptions, etc.), I can think of about 10 different methods off the top of my head. And it's early in the day. Some are more basic than others. But no book or website is going to do even the basic ones justice, really.

Could you tell us a bit more about your situation? Do you have a teacher? What's your background? People may even know of a teacher in your area, if you wanted to share that information. (No pressure to do so, you understand.)

Stuart

3. Broadshade

Broadshade New Member

From the UK but currently working in Panay Philippines, have instructor here in Philippines, but he works as a police office so does shifts which means can be couple of weeks between lessons.

Would like to practice during this time as I am new to it worried be that I am doing things incorrectly so like to have something to check against. It would be shame to practise for 2 weeks and find being doing it wrong.

Hope this makes sense

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

different styles make for different strokes. what is correct for one is wrong for the other. stick with your teacher's teachings.

one way of doing it is to take a video of your sessions and base your solo practice on that.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I was thinking the same thing. I think the danger is higher of introducing problems into your technique from a book or website (without your teacher regularly being able to check it) than is the danger of problems creeping into your technique without having a reference.

You would need a reference that precisely mirrored what your teacher was doing. And, as Shooto suggested, the easiest way to do that is to videotape your classes. If your teacher is cool with that. Failing that, I'd concentrate on one thing between classes (so you've got less specifics to try and remember) and work on that between classes.

Stuart

6. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Their is a simple stance what mostly the traditional FMA does...do the two types of triangles.Some called it the male and female triangle this might a good start and always remember that where your weapons is always with your lead leg. Mabuhay Gat Kalislash

7. Gladius

Gladius New Member

Are there no FMA styles that use right hand weapon left lead stance?

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I have not come across any yet.
    The problem with left lead whilst holding the weapon in the right is two fold. First you give up range and second you expose your left side to a higher risk of attack as it is harder to protect in the stance you mention.

Best regards

Pat

9. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Maybe if you have your shields... ;)

10. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

garimot arnis does.

tim

11. j8mes

j8mes New Member

Very few. Remember that much of eskrima evolved from sword technique. Put that left leg up front and swing a strong Forehand Diagonal and you have a good chance of cutting your left leg, especially if you are in motion.

12. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Arnis webs

Broadshade,

Modern Arnis Organizations:
    Format: Organization (abreviation) (Head) - Website or Email

World Modern Arnis Alliance (WMAA) (Datu Tim Hartman) - http://wmarnis.com

Modern Arnis Remy P. Presas International Organization (MARPPIO) - http://modernarnis.com/

Jeffrey J. Delaneys' International Modern Arnis Federation (IMAF) - http://professorpresas.com

Randi Scheas' International Modern Arnis Federation (IMAF) - http://www.modernarnis.net

World Modern Arnis Coalition (WMAC ) (Datu Kelly Worden) - http://www.kellyworden.com

Danish Arnis Federation (Thorbjørn Hartelius) - http://www.arnis.dk

German Arnis Federation (Datu Dieter Knüttel) - http://www.modern-arnis.de

American Modern Arnis Associates (Guro Tom Bolden)- www.americanarnis.com

Jerome Barber, Ed.D. - www.guntingseminar.com (see DoctorB's post below)

Bram Frank - arnisman@aol.com (See post below)

Arnis International (Bruce Chiu) - http://www.brucechiu.com

Dan Anderson - www.danandersonkarate.com

Similar to Modern Arnis is Arnis de Leon
    International Arnis de Leon Federation (IADLF) - http://www.arnisdeleon.com/

I hope these help. I was taught by Prof. Remy Presas, god rest his great soul.
    Thanks,
    Tom

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Dog Brothers Martial Arts has incorparated parts of Krabi Krabong (a Thai art) into it's curriculum. So whilst technically not FMA it has been blended very well into the Kali structure of DBMA.

14. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

footwork

HI,
    Stances in arnis aren't really that prevalent, in regards to what I have learned. Instructors I have learned from, that have other styles in their background, adopt their experience to identify different Foot Positions,( instead of stances, in case I should contradict myself here, wouldn't want that(!!!!!)), that may arise in execution of techniques, in order to break them down to beginners or seriously mislead experienced folk.
    In my experience with Ninjutsu, where we could hold stances or kamae for extended lengths of time, in order to train our nervous system to hit them "correctly", I found that, as my experience broadened, the kamae or stances were actually reference points within a dynamic flux of movement. While valuable in learning proper movement and body mechanics, for that art and its power generation priniciples, became less important as my own style of movement took over.... and blah blah blah.
    anyhow, the dog brothers organization has a video that focuses on footwork. that may be a great resource to the originator of this post.
    as well, pm some of the guys here, or do a forum search on footwork. as well, youtube is fast becoming my guro!! mabuhay youtube!!!! :D
    Regards,
    gord

15. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

You will learn lots of footwork when you do some sparring...that will teach how to move your feet. :D

16. Gladius

Gladius New Member

no distinction between footwork and stances.. kalislash?

17. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Stances are flashpoints in time, what they are trying to show you is how to move, not how to stop. So no, there is no difference between footwork and stances, some arts don't teach any stances, just proper motion.

18. dhay

dhay Valued Member

how do you learn how to move if you do not have stances (aka posture, where to put your feet and weight/balance) and footworks (aka moving around)? how is moving around taught in this case?

luv
    dhay

:Angel:

19. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

In our style ,we have the fighting srance and the natural stance .This the only way I stand :D ...when we fight we have to move. Mabuhay Gat Kalislash

20. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

Stances and movement

That's true. In San Miguel Eskrima you have a natural stance wherein body weight is shifted to the back foot on a forehand strike and to the front foot on the backhand strike - but a similar weight-shift should occur when the feet move in any direction, and you sould have the potential to move from any "stance" into any (or at least, most) angles and directions.

That said, "stances" are taught to give the student an idea of which angles and directions are efficient and practical. The "San Miguel Stance" is simply a movement backward with the lead (right) foot that stops when the lead foot ends up behind the left foot; often the step is followed a stepping patterns that take the practitioner out to the right side of the "V" (female triangle) with the right foot and then forward again with the left foot. This stepping pattern is called "Zig Zag" (and, as you can see, we are now more concerned with "stepping patterns" than we are with "stances"). Combine the "San Miguel Stance" with a step out on the left side of the "V" (female triangle) and you have a vectoring step that angles you out of harm's way and adds body weight to your technique simultaneously. "Jumping" angles takes your body to the right and moves a lead left leg out of harm's way, but it is not really a "jump" but rather a movement that takes your body horizontally across the right side of a "t" shape and then leads the body weight down.

I think that Panto Flores does a nice job showing some of these stepping patterns in the following clip:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4AoMdVM4So[/ame]

As Blindside says, you can "freeze" any of the footwork shown above and call it a "stance" - but the point is to teach movement.

Best,

Steve