Are your instructors health and safty trained

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by madmike, Nov 15, 2006.

1. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

my instructor have to pass a first aid course before they can become a instructor. is this common practise? the reason im asking is that some clubs say that if you a hurt during trainning they are not resopsible medically speaking. i know that if im seriolsy hut i still have to see a doctor. but it makes me feel better knowing my instructors are well trained.

2. monty3

monty3 New Member

All PKA instructors should have a first aid course under their belt. They should also have Insurance.

Your license fee(insurance) covers you for any injuries incurred during the lesson

3. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

The short answer to that is: I dont know and I dont care.
    I know one of my instructors has a Phd in physiology, as for government syndicated, "I got a certificate for sitting in a community centre and listening to some prat whine on about legislation" training, I couldnt care less.

I go there to learn martial arts, not knitting, it doesnt take a specialy trained person to look at a bruise or call an ambulance following a break or dislocaton.

4. relish

relish Valued Member

However it's nice to know, if I were to take a kick to the solar plexus so hard it pierced a lung or disrupted the heartbeat, that there's someone around who can help keep you alive until an ambulance arrives.

5. prowla

prowla Valued Member

It's a stated requirement for BB in our style.
    However, the current advice seems to be to just call an ambulance and do nothing.
    It seems that litigation, blame culture, insurance stipulations?, and so-on mean that you should not try and help people in distress in this day and age.

6. alister

alister Huh?

Most insurances will require the instructor to have a first aid certificate.

Personally, despite the legal position of any waiver, I would say any instructor has a moral obligation to be able to cope if one of his/her students needs first aid treatment. To say otherwise shows a distinct lack of social and moral responsibility.

7. seyah

seyah Valued Member

All instructors in the Cobra Martial Arts Association must be first aid trained. I am St John trained, my secretary is trained via the NHS and my assistant instructor is also first aid trained.

All instructors must also be CRB enhanced disclosure checked, two of my assistant instructor are also CRB checked as well as the club secretary.

All our instructors must have insurance cover, and all dan grades must be from a tracable source.

Whilst a lot of stuff aint compulsary at the moment. many instructors are being turned away and even evicted if they cannot produce these things.

8. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

well then so long as u say that if u do get injured.

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

our TKD org requires community level CPR training through red cross for instructors.

If somebody takes a hit to the bean and quits breathing - which is feasible - it would be good to know how to keep the blood moving until the real meds get there. Sounds reasonable to me, anyways, I don't wanna get stuck shouting "it's not knitting!!" at some poor sap who's not breathing until the ambulance arrives ;)

10. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

lol... Now I have all these images of cornermen shouting 'it's not knitting!' at injured fighters in between rounds. :D

11. SCP_Kensei

I've been injured loads of times, never had a problem with the support i've received, besides afaik my instructors are First aid trained.

12. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

so you seem to have remembered your instructors are healthy safty trainned pretty quickly. where any of your injuries blows to the head that would explain the spelling. lol (joke).

13. SCP_Kensei

I never said I had remembered any first aid training. I just said as far as I know.

maybe i'm just being obtuse but i've totally missed the spelling error in that post??

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've never heard of any requirements in the states of instructors having to be trained in first aid. I know they have to have insurance but thats about it.