Are there any UK Weekend open training courses

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by robertmap, Mar 18, 2018.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I'm getting a bit jaded with my current mix of teaching Tai Chi and studying Karate and would like to add a bit more training to the mix - I need Weekend courses in pretty much any martial art and virtually anywhere in the UK - I've tried a 'Google' but not found much... Any help, much appreciated.

2. hewho

hewho Valued Member

What do you mean by courses? Just lessons?

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'hewho' - Thanks for your reply - No, not 'Just lessons' but a course - e.g. 5+ hours training on a Saturday and/or a Sunday - either in one art or multiple arts. For maybe a few of the old folks who may still be on this list something like the UK MEET that I used to organise or it's 'child' the MAP MEET - or other courses like one I remember seeing a couple of years ago for a Silat Instructor Program which ran monthly weekend intensive classes.

Thanks.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

John Titchen teaches seminars and hosts SIM days that match that description. I see many adverts for similar days with TCC guys ( e.g. Willie Lim), karate guys and various Muay Thai etc guys.

Depends what You're looking for and where You're looking I suppose :)

robertmap likes this.
  5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Ah, sorry. I'd guess that there will be various Facebook pages that you can look at, not sure if ToS lets me name them on here, but I'll PM you :) There is always the MAP meet later this year of course ;)

robertmap likes this.
  6. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

I really liked the MAP Meet last year and I'd love it if there were more opportunities to just get together with people and try a few new things, expand the repertoire etc.

robertmap likes this.
  7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Do seminars meet the criteria? There always seems to be something happening.

8. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'cloudz' - Yes, seminars are fine - at this stage I'm trying to find out what's available and who to (or where to) go for information about events that might interest me :)

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Good luck Robert, "any martial art" gives you a pretty big selection I would imagine. Why not pick something local you can go train in regularly, though I guess you have your reasons. You'd probably save some dough.

10. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'cloudz' - Thanks for the kind thoughts. When I moved to the area (Rushden in Northants) I did resume my training in Kyu Shin Ryu karate but that's only once a week. I did have a look at a Shotokan class, went a couple of times but not for me. Went half a dozen times to a TKD (TAGB variety) class. The class was not suitable as although I enjoyed it it was only an hour long and the 'warm-up' was not long enough or comprehensive enough for my old bones (even with me getting to the class a bit early to start my own warm-up) - also went to a WC class - it was OK but lousy location and stupid expensive to join.

I probably will find a class in something but that's likely to be a fair way away and that causes a ROI issue - if you have to drive for over an hour for an hour's training - it's not great. That's why a seminar/course that maybe lasts one or two days is a better option if available.

cloudz likes this.
  11. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

robertmap likes this.
  12. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Thanks Travess.

Travess likes this.
  13. ned

ned Valued Member

14. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi ned - many thanks - it's very interesting - but they want a lot of money up front so it's not for me :(

15. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Steve Rowe at Shikon runs courses pretty much every weekend, looking at Yang family tai chi aspects

16. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Dan - many thanks. I can only find: Seminars — Shi Kon Martial Arts which doesn't seem to list many (any?) seminars that are not aimed (as far as I can see) at existing students of Shikon???

17. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

The BCA website has an events page, that advertises seminars around the UK, if that is of any use?

FORTHCOMING SEMINARS

Though it is neither comprehensive nor exhaustive, as there are 2 upcoming seminars in my hometown (1 which Iain Abernethy organised and will be in attendance at, and the other which he will be co-teaching at) which are not listed.

Travess

18. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'Travess' - Thanks, I'll keep an eye on their webpage.