Are there any martial arts "ratings boards"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tooksomechin_na, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm not hard to find and in this country there is no excuse to not find decent training.

I drove 3 hours yesterday in one direction for a 2 hour session.

2. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

:eek:

(dont have a car, its bus or train travel and buses are more familiar to me)

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If your not familiar with trains, then there's only one way to get familiar, use them more often!

You've been posting on here for over a month about finding a school, just go to some already and actually physically try classes out!

4. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

i dont have that many in town but. IM GOING TO LOOK AT BOXING NEXT WEEK! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! XP I do actually have pre standing issues which would effect me going to these places and distance and public transport wont make it better. Also Tai Chi as well.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

On which case get to something you can train in consistently, if you have a preexisting medical condition, you may not be able to train in every art, so choose one you can do, that is close by, and do it!

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Ui, more excuses!

I don't have a car either.

I need around 90 minutes one way (back might even be longer, due to waiting times), every day, to get my training places.
    Twice a week I add another trip, because I have to switch places.

If there isn't much to chose from: Even easier!
    Go to these you could actually attend and have a look at them.
    Afterwards you can choose where to stay or decide you need to look farther away after all.

So, please, don't use such excuses.
    They really are only annoying and seriously not worth it.
    (I don't mean that personal, by the way)

You want something - you find a way of doing it.
    You don't want something - you go looking for and find all the excuses you need.

aaradia, narcsarge, El Medico and 4 others like this.
  7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

o_O
    Thank you,dear.;)

Things coulda got downright ugly!

Rataca,as ALL CMAs are "Gung Fu"-(or more properly,Wu Shu)-saying TC needs to be more "kung fu" is,well, meaningless.Like saying "Aikido won't work unless it's more Ju-Jutsu." But Aikido is a Ju-Jutsu,whether a particular brand/school has effective training/function or no. I know people will refer to "Kung Fu and T'ai Chi" but such a phrase is idiotic.Except for advertising purposes,I suppose.

Anyways,jest so's ya know.:)

8. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

You challanging me to a duel? XP

Then correction for the statement, i have seen it taught with other kung fu's and be good enough for fighting. Good enough revision? :p

I dont know all these general terms for martial systems from a country

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Anytime sweetie

handbags at dawn!!!

Not really unless you qualify which systems and what made it "good enough"

Which taiji players have you crossed hands with? Which styles? How often?

If it's none, none and none then your initial statement is a little awry n'est pas?

The perhaps refrain from such polemic statements when discussing them eh?

10. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Normal handbags or ones with hidden suprises in them? :p

The Tai chi i have seen is second hand sources. (Bank holiday and the one i was going to look at was shut then. ) the most respectable kung fu channel i think i have watched was wingchun based. Dont watch these as much recently.

The rest is noted.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Of course not. But ok,and you can use your freestyle karate groin kick.I'll use a T'ai Chi lance.(After all, I'm not a young man anymore).

Nope,not at all.While some folks do that, it doesn't need to be taught with another system to make it viable.It DOES require much,much more than doing some solo form and spending an hour a week pushing hands,tho'. I didn't bother to teach my TC students my Hung Ch'uan. Be a waste of time for 'em.

Well now ya know a couple as pertains to Chinese systems,at least.

12. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Its freestyle kickboxing not karate! :p

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

To bring this a tad more on topic; one way to review "ratings" is for styles/clubs that engage in regular competition.

It's moderately available to find results publicly for some styles; if there are clubs that are achieving well frequently, then it is a good sign that they produce high quality of training for that style.

Most places you can find out up front what is involved in the syllabus, and see if that fits your needs.

Over time I have found that it's not always the "club" that had been the successful part, but some teachers or classes can vary in quality if there is not standard that checks this, it is possible that there are people getting graded based on being friends or relatives of the chief instructors regardless of ability.

Word of mouth can be subjective, so isn't always a good measure; I've seen many mixed views been clubs in a small region, and going to all of them often found that there was more in common in the training, than that which was different.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Have you ever even trained in Tai Chi Chuan? Or are you talking about an art you have no actual experience in?

Tai Chi can be very good by itself, if one trains properly and it is taught by a qualified instructor the way the art was originally intended.

A lot of teachers out there do not teach the martial part of the art, but some still do.

There are good and bad instructors in any art, although TCC has a larger percentage of poor incomplete instructors than some other arts.

15. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

See above for if i have trained in it or not, my basis would be those videos of challenges against tai chi. I have not seen a combat based one in person however.

But for all purposes, if they are the minority, you can say its not a combat based martial art as you probably wont find any. Just another question as i dont recall its answer, dont they teach it with other styles commonly?

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

[QUOTE="Rataca100, post: 1075029161, member: 80613you can say its not a combat based martial art as you probably wont find any. Just another question as i dont recall its answer, dont they teach it with other styles commonly?[/QUOTE]

You should have come to the MAP Meet.

Take down my instructor, or indeed his instructor and I'll pay your rent.

Seriously dude do some revision before deciding what a martial art is or isn't.

It's getting rather tiring.

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

It is a combat based martial art. Just because some people don't teach it properly doesn't change what it actually is. Every move in TCC has fighting applications.

One should not be making claims like they know what they are talking about if they haven't actually trained in an art.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

They can't find a Tai Chi teacher in China that beats a "professional" MMA fighter. I'm skeptical they'll find it elsewhere.

Rataca100 likes this.
  19. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I presume even the fitness ones have that underlying theme then, i havent looked at the move set of any. I think i looked at a page which contained a description on a few tai chi styles. (that doesnt mean wikipedia. ) I dont think my counter argument would be relivent to the art itself and as they say first impression is everything.
    Just for the last one, you dont have to do a a style to know about the style, (doesnt mean i know about it) but you can get theory knowledge without actually training with someone for that style. If you get what i mean.

(to simon):
    If i can grapple them, sure. One day anyway. how old are they out of curiosity? I could probbly do a 2-5 minuet round before im out of energy and adrenaline. :p

Edit: I seem to have messed up the code for quotes somehow, if anyone can have a look at the edit screen and fix it, it would be much appreciated. I hate muilti quote sometimes.

20. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Experience is a useful filter by which to assess theory. Martial arts are in the doing.

Speaking of which you think you have 2-5mins worth of work in you but you have no idea really if that is true. In addition, if you were to grapple Simon's teacher you'd likely be on your posteria because you have no grappling experience.