Are real names important here?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Cuchulain, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Cuchulain

Cuchulain Valued Member

In the loyalty thread that started here recently, one poster made the point that he disliked the way that some posters are reluctant to use their real names, preferring to post using pseudonyms to protect their identity. Is this an issue that has been thrashed out here in the past that I've missed? (If so, sorry!)

It seems to me that this board functions quite well despite the lack of real names, when usually you can draw a direct link between the quality of a board and the accountability of the posters - the so called Signal to Noise ratio.

I can guess who most of the regular posters are from their usernames, as they've been around the block for a while online, but that's not possible for newer visitors. What is the feelings of the general populace here?

2. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

You can argue this both for and against. Here's my first thought.

A mask doesn't hide our identity so much as it reveals our true selves.

When someone posts here under their real name, they may be extra careful in what they say and how they say it for fear of reprisals. Under the cover of a pseudonym, that same person is now free to say what they really think.

It's nice to know a MAPper's real name but even if we don't, we can still get a good idea of the person.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think giving away personal information on the internet is a very bad idea. Remember, this is an open forum, viewable by every nutter on the evilweb. It's suprising how much information you can find out about someone just be knowing their real name.

4. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Even though I agree with moosey map is an open forum so why should we hide behind our identities, even not tell what our sex is ? If a profile only gives a reference to your date of birth and nothing else most ppl will pick you out as a troll at first. So giving some information is important as this also shows your confidence and trust in the other members on this site. Also, knowing we have a photo section on here they will see what you look like anyways so why not at least tell them your real first Name ?

Christian

5. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Names are god to know who is posting. It does stop people thinking troll a lot while you are trying to get to be known.

6. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I use a pseudonym on most forums, but only because it's a nickname my friends gave me, and my real name is often gone on forums, especially ones with over 20K members. However, in no way do I try to hide my identity, and anyone with a higher than room temperature IQ can probably work it out from my profile anyway.

This has worked out pretty well so far, and I've been PM'd by both old friends and MA's in my area, one of which I got just this morning ;)
    I haven't seen any evidence of being stalked, or people using my information for any other purpose. If I was that paranoid I wouldn't be in the phone book.

7. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

I don't see the big deal with posting your first name, but unless your already known, using your full name might not be so bright.

And for what it's worth, my name is Anthony.

8. xen

xen insanity by design

i signed up for MAP because i didn't have to give away my identity, not because i've anything to hide, but because it simply doesn't matter,

in some ways anonymity helps reasoned discussion of topics because the quality of what people post is judged on what they say, not who they are.

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I, too, also always use a pseudonym online, mainly as I like my privacy, people who know me can work out who I am and those who I don't want to know me can't! There are plenty of fruitcakes out there so I would rather remain vaguely anonymous. I don't give out my email address but am quite happy to be pm'd. However I don't think real names would eliminate the trolls as it is perfectly easy to sign up with a false name and profile.

10. Kris x

Kris x :-p

I don't have any problem with anyone knowing my first name.
    My username used to be my first name. :p
    Wouldn't tell you my second name though, simply because I feel uncomfortable doing so, not because I have anything to hide.
    Don't like it, bite me! :eek: j/k :D

But I don't think people should feel they have to use their real names.
    Some people can't for many reasons and others should think about that.

11. CDNhammer

CDNhammer New Member

It's the internet...anything goes. I don't use my real name online, but if someone I've known on a forum for a while were to ask....I'd tell.

I think it's important to use your real name if you're posting specifics about people or bashing someone you've trained with and mentioning their name....but it's better practice to leave names off the net. That way people can feel more at ease about what they're saying, and you can typically have better discussions.

12. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

How many on here would say that the Loyalty thread requires names. There are people posting in there that are behind login names and making claims. But they seem to think that they are the ultimate in all knowing. It then comes down to who is what on MAP, and who is your Sensei/Shihan.

People like Saru1968, Poryu and my instructor K0koro are known to me and are known also by their names. Some have asked me in PM who I am and I have not hidden behind my login name. Some have said who they are. But it is the ones that say "I know this as I was there" and when asked who they are and how they got the information, they hide. Maybe it is ego driven, or they just feel inferior as their name may cause an upset.

Either way, it would be nice to know who people are instead of hiding away behind their PC monitor conducting traffic.

13. Kris x

Kris x :-p

What do yous need to know their real name for? So you can go and kick their ass for saying something you didn't agree with?
    That might be whats going through their head.

14. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

I think that might be a bit difficult to do via comp, don't you think ?
    ;) But seriously, why shouldn't we know ppls first real Names ? Whats so bad about telling someone your first Name is Christian, John or Andrew ? Are you afraid there is instantly going to be a search going on based on your first Name ? Where does he live ? Whats his phone number ? When is he in ? LOL :D :D

I think you should be more afraid of government agencies like the FBI tapping your phone than someone on map going nuts because you posted your first Name.

Christia

15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Christia? I always thought you were a guy!

16. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

The internet should be annoymous. Its a VERY bad idea to write your personal infomation on a public forum.

I dont really care if people know my name (Oli) but thats all your getting ;).

17. garth

garth Valued Member

I find it kind of strange that people are willing to state things as fact on the internet i.e. "I have been told from Soke", yet are unwilling to say who they are, and therefore their is no proof that they are actually telling the truth. For all we know the person posting could be some 12 year old kid in Timbuktoo who has never studied ninjutsu let alone been to Japan to train at the Hombu.

What I find even stranger is that people are willing to believe what these anonymous people say on the forums, but then i guess people believe what they want to believe.

You know for an art that teaches Intelligence Gathering, in a war the inttelligence that we listen to or take on board would be next to useless as it cannot be verified.

Gary Arthur
    www.toshindo.co.uk

18. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

FBI tapping phones :D Na it's cost me too much!

One thing that I think should be mentioned (although not directly as per the request by Mr K) is a recent thread over on e-budo.com !!

By posting your name you open yourself up to potentially difficult situations even if you conduct yourself in a good manner.

Names given via PM fair enough but you have to be careful who you're giving them to!

19. NaughtyKnight

You can generally tell if someone knows what they are talking about. You cant always be sure. Thats why noobs have to earn our trust before launching into a massive debate etc.

20. NaughtyKnight

You'd be very supprised how much you can learn about someone from just a first name and an email address.

Try searching your own email address on google.