Arahan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jesse@RTKD, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Jesse@RTKD

Jesse@RTKD New Member

i saw this movie at a mates place and i watched the 'making of' as well and the bad guy in it is a really amazing martial artist and his physique was crazy, like in a scene where they needed to use a prop for his superhuman veiny hand was futile because his own hand looked even more superhuman!

This is a Korean movie (probably littley known) and i couldnt find out who thus guy is.
    If anyone can help i'd appreciate it as ive become quite interested in korean media recently.

2. wonk

wonk Valued Member

Arahan rules (the 2nd time around)

Ryu Seom-Won's "Arahan" is a fun "urban martial arts" fantasy from Korea. With it's nearly superhuman martial artists fighting their way across the streets of rooftops of Seoul, South Korea, the film shares much in common with the lines of Stephen Chow's "Shaolin Soccer" and "Kung Fu Hustle", and the Korean film, "Volcano High" (get the korean region III dvd edition if you have an all-region DVD player. This version features a rock sountrack and the original dialogue tracks, which fit the film better than the hip-hop soundtrack/rap star voiced version released on Region 1 by MTV. From a review I wrote for a friend's webpage:

I cannot believe more people here haven't seen this yet!

3. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i've seen both arahan and volcano high and would recomend them both, also if you like korean films check out natural city (kinda like blade runner) the warrior (big epic cross the desert chased by the mongal army kinda film) and fighter in the wind (the story of the korean founder of kyokusinka (sp?) kartate)

4. wonk

wonk Valued Member

Musa the Warrior

I've just gone through the entire thirteen pages of threads on the movies and television forum, and I cannot believe I couldn't find a single thread about Musa the Warrior arguably one of the best films to come out of the post-1996 South Korean "New Wave" that has taken the film festival circuit by storm (cresting perhaps with Chan Wook Park's Oldboy winning top honors last year at the Cannes Film Festival.

From something I posted elsewhere,.....

Word is that an uncut editon of Musa will be out soon on Region 1 DVD (the Tai Seng Hong Kong version many people are familiar with is missing nearly 30 minutes of running time. Up 'til now, the only way for most of us to see the full version was to get a Korean Region III DVD edition).

Give it a try folks, you won't be disappointed.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Arahan is a fun movie, its more for those who are kind of getting used to the wire work that is thoroughly used in Asian films, even though Crouching Tiger introduced Wudan style wire work into mainstream Western media, people are still getting used to the idea that people can fly.

This movie kind of makes fun of the concept but integrates it well by making it part of the modern world that people are more familiar with.

www.imdb.com for all your film knowledge needs