Anyone here speak Latin?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tyranith, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Just wondering if the grammar in my signature is ok....? Anyone?

2. seiki juku kid

seiki juku kid New Member

hey tyranith, i did latin for gcse so don't know if i'll be much use to you in this case.

i'm assuming that conixandum comes from coniux / coniunx / coniugis (husband/wife) so does it roughly mean: 'he is speaking in order that he may have a sound mind in a sound body, also, he is married/marrying in order that he may have a shrewd mind in a powerful body' (i wouldn't be surprised if that's mostly wrong though- i can't find orandum or conixandum in the dictionary because they are gerundives.)

i don't think you need the second comma (after autem) and i'm pretty sure sit should go after corpere sano and corpere potentis. the verb always goes at the end of the clause unless you're writing poetry and it has to fit into a certain structure.

3. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

The original quote "Orandum est ut sit mens sana in corpere sano" which means "One should pray for a sound mind within a healthy body", is a famous quote by Juvenal from Satires, so I'm pretty sure the grammar's correct in that sentence, and my added sentence is based on that as much as possible.

Conixandum is supposed to come from Conixus/Conitor - to Strive, which is the main bit I'm not sure about.
    The way I understand it is that Conixandum is made of three parts - the Co (violent, forcibly, completely), nix (struggle/strive, exert oneself), and andum, the suffix.
    I'm not sure if that's allowed or what :D

You were right about Orandum, that it comes from Oratus, to speak, but can also be used to mean to beseech, plead, pray, etc.

The whole quote's supposed to read:
    "One should pray for a sound mind within a healthy body, however, one should strive for a keen mind within a powerful body"

Thanks a lot for the help.

By the way, "he is married/marrying in order that he may have a shrewd mind in a powerful body" Anyone attempting that's gonna get a nasty shock.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  4. seiki juku kid

lol i know that wasn't right but i didn't know what the verb was translated as!!!

5. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
    immane mittam. :D

6. seiki juku kid

salve amicus lol please don't i like my head where it is!!!

7. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I've never had a chance to fit that into a conversation, I wonder why? ;)

[EXPAND="Translation"]I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will
    fling an enormous rock at your head.[/EXPAND]

Here is another I've never been able to use:

Estne tibi forte magna feles fulva et planissima?

Here's some I use all the time:

Prescriptio in manibus tabellariorium est.

Hocine bibo aut in eum digitos insero?

Noli me vocare, ego te vocabo.

Vescere bracis meis.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis
    exponebantur ad necem.

8. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Smartus Alecus :p

Not me - sorry !!! :D