Anyone Hearing Impaired?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Dragoon72, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Coincidentally, I'm trying to teach myself some ASL. I picked-up a book at a used bookstore last weekend (but not before checking out the MA books first ;) ). So far, I can do the ASL alphabet, as well as a few greetings and questions. I'm just learning in my spare time.

I don't know of any HI folk, but I've come across a few HI brothers & sisters in my lifetime who've had some challenges communicating with others. They were eventually understood, but I felt helpless & useless in that I couldn't be of any assistance to anyone. However, I'm hoping that I might be of some help to somebody the next time, if even in a very small way.

I've always wanted to learn, but courses are unbelievably quite expensive! I would've thought that courses would've been offered for free, in the hopes of encouraging able-hearing folk (like myself) to learn & try to communicate with our HI community members. Then, again, I totally understand if the proceeds from tuition go directly back to developing more programs for our HI brethren. Personally, I think that high schools (or even grade schools) should teach SL as a mandatory course or, at the very least, offer it as an elective course.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  2. Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior New Member

Juego Todo, I'm glad to hear you're trying to learn sign language.

It was said that H.S.. Should offer classes on sign language. They do, at least around here (Bay Area, Cali.)

If classes are too expensive, try your local communty college. At DVC (Diablo Valley College) they have a DEAF teacher, so you KNOW you're hetting the best instruction you can. :p

if you STILL cannot attend a class, then keep this in mind as you learn how to sign... ASL "spoken" like broken English.

For example, if asking what someone's name is, you'd sign, "You name what?" instead of asking, "What is your name"? The response iwould be, "My name (finger spell) J-a-s-o-n" followed by your name sign if you have one (usually assigned by a deaf person).

Anyway... if you're interested in signing, contact me and I'll happily answer any questuons you might have. If you live in the Bay Area, I'd be willing to show/teach you a few signs.

Good luck in your quest to learn sign!

P.S. Some Deaf (capital D meaning STRONG deaf culture) don't take kindly to hearing people trying to talk to them. I myself am hard of hearing, and am shunned because I have enough hearing to be able to talk on the phone.

3. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Iron Warrior,

Thank you kindly for your tips & encouragement. Too bad you're too far away; I'd take you up on your signing offer.

Yeah, perhaps I'll check-out the community colleges around here. In the meantime, I've got my better-half interested, too. I carry my "new" used ASL book wherever I go so that I can learn a little bit here and there.

We were at a pub on Labor Day and, while waiting for the grog and wings, she learned a few things. We did a mock mini-convo and it was fun. I'm sure that you would've laughed at us but, hey, at least we're trying :eek:

So far, we're OK, as we're just taking our time and the basics seem to be making sense so far. Thanks again & best of luck to you in your MA training! :)

JT

4. soctt03

soctt03 New Member

Deaf martial artists

Hi to you all. I too have had the pleasure of coaching deaf/hard of hearing students in the past. I currently coach a deafblind adult - see elsewhere on this site. However I don't know if any of you aware there is an international deaf martial arts organisation who are VERY active. They had an international competition in Rome about 1 year ago - very well attended I understand.

5. Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior New Member

Juego Todo, one more thing about signing...

USE FACIAL EXPRESSIONS! Facial expressions are very vital in sign language. Not using facial expressions during sign language is like being Ben Stien when you're talking. A flat, boring, monotone voice.

When asking "wh" questions (who, what, where, when, why, how), bring your eyebrows down. All other questions are asked with arched eyebrows.

You'll learn once you talk to a deaf person/take a sign class.

Sorry for forgetting this very vital fact. It's so comonly used that it's natural and you don't give it a second thought.

6. Lefty

Lefty Yummy!

Wow, there is sure a lot to know about signing.

I have a few customers who are HI. There's a pretty strong deaf community where I live. They're trying to start a new city not too far from here. Strangely they meet some resistance. I can sign 'thank you' and that's about it.

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I went to school with a fair amount of HI students. In fact, my school was the only in the district that had a special hearing impaired unit to help people with partial to full hearing impairments.

Its amazing how much they could understand, just by reading my lips, even from across the class room.

The coclear implants are amazing. Technology is getting so advanced.

Each student had a teacher sitting with them, that would take notes for the HI student. Though quite often they were still able to understand the teacher, as long as they were facing the class.

A good mate of mine is HI, completly deaf in 1 ear and has about 10% hearing in his other ear. Doesnt stop him from being the best bloody dancer I know, he pulls so many birds with his moves.

8. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

I am deaf. I have total hearing loss in my left ear and partial loss in my right, so I do wear a hearing aid. However, the sounds I hear are not useable in understanding voices. I use ASL. There are a few at my Kenpo school who know basic signs, but their signing is limited so they don't really use them. I just rely on lip-reading.

- Ceicei

9. Youkai

Youkai Valued Member

I've got vey little hearing in my left ear due to a medical negligence, a couple of years back, on the part of my doctor. Right is just inside the "normal" range. I've got a sign on my works phone that can be read when I'm on the phone, it says "It's no use screaming I can't hear you". I get away with not wearing a hearing aid through a combination of lip reading and laughing or saying yes or no at what I think are the right places :D

Even my wife did not know how bad it was for me until very recently when I let on that I have to lip read a lot. She laughed thinking I was joking and then preceded to mouth various sentences all of which I understood - I think it shocked her a bit. SHe now knows to walk on my right side :D

Funny enough my daughter and I have our own made up sign language which annoys my wife because she does not know what we are saying. Mind you it's got so complex now I think it would have been easier to have actually learnt a real one.

10. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

http://www.jdsport.com/index.html?dir=/dir/Martial_Arts/Disabled/index-2-508-6606-0-0-.html

I found this rather well thought out paper on "Observations of the Effects of the Study of Karate on the Deaf and the Profoundly Hard of Hearing" by Shayna Alexander and Pat Feinerman. They conducted it like an experiment and I enjoyed reading the conclusion:

Conclusions

These students were much more isolated from the hearing world than we initially expected. We realized that deafness in itself is not the most limiting factor; the students' poor awareness of surroundings, their inability to anticipate and interpret the events around them and their lack of motivation to improve this situation were more limiting.

The physical nature and repetitive organization of karate classes do have a positive influence on all of these problems. In addition competition is primarily with oneself, which hones self-criticism as well as self-praise - all factors toward building a healthy, confident and responsible adult.

Two advanced black belts were invited to observe and teach this class. They both were surprised that these students were advancing at a pace comparable to a traditional class. We concluded that in the near future, we should attempt to integrate them in an existing karate dojo. We would have done so already, but since the students did not have proper karate attire we did not want to cause embarrassment to them and so will not attempt this integration until they have uniforms.

Perhaps the cultural and material disadvantages have been more of a barrier to these students then their lack of hearing. A comparison should be made with other deaf students who come from financially secure, culturally acclimated and stable families.

One conclusion has already been put to use in our regular classes: We have learned how very little verbal explanation is truly necessary to transfer technique, fighting spirit and depth of feeling.

Have a read - it pretty interesting :)

11. ShoNaiDo

ShoNaiDo New Member

I have denegerative nerve deafness...Two of my 4? nerves are shot. The other's are going down over time. I have tinitis as well. And of course the super power known as advanced selective hearing.

I know some asl, and have been learning for myself, and for my son, who is a special needs young man under the age of two.

I have hearing aids, but do not wear them that often.

:)

12. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

No

13. Deaf

Deaf New Member

Severe profound deaf both ears. Wear aid in one ear to help deal with the hearing world.

I have been training in the martial arts for well over 21 years. Currently training in the Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

I must say that it is good to see others and if possible, lets try to stay in touch and maybe pass on some tips etc.

I honestly believe, deaf people actually have an advantage in learning martial arts to some extent. In my case, I simply watch what is being done and then copy it. From there I begin to internalize it and I don't worry about what is being said. It really helps me to figure out what is going on instead of hearing what is going on. If that makes sense?

Michael

14. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Does make sense definatly. This particular forum is for everyone from other abled martial artists to family and friends of martial artists. Any help you can provide is gratefully accepted :)

15. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

I agree that in some ways people with hearing difficulties / impairment have an advantage over some. In chi sao, sensitivity is key and it is easy to get distracted by what you see and hear around you.

Also in a loud pub/club you will never hear an attacker behind you anyway.