Anyone been able to go back to training after a broken arm?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Maryreade1234, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so its been nearly a year now and my arm still won’t let me train. It seams that whenever I try and lift heavy things or put force through it I get pain.

But I went for ab xray last time I hurt it and the arm hadn’t broken again according to the xray it was fine.

I was wondering if anyone on here has got a simular injury.

I broke my ulna, had surgery and then a plate with 4 screws was put in. Since then iv found it impossible to get back into training as whenever force gets through the arm it starts acheing.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

From your postings it's been just over six months.

Yes it will ache, you've had a major injury and the bone around the screws still need to strengthen, and they only will do that via progressive weight baring exercise, you can't just jump to super heavy weights and expect it to work.

Havn't you also been taking boxing privates during lockdown, impact whilst it's still weak won't of helped.

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Yeah I was 3 months after surgery during the first lockdown stopped when I realized it was probably not healing properly.

I haven’t trained at all in about 4 months now.

How would I strengthen the bones to be able to train again? I can ride a bike and ride my bike round amsterdam everyday to get about. But If I try to punch stuff hard or go into mosh pit itl ache for a few weeks.

4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Here's a word of advice from one who did not listen to his doctors after injury, as it applies to training.

Listen to your doctors.

Listen to them and you will eventually be back to training. Don't listen to your doctors, go back to training, and eventually you will get to a point where you can never train again.....and riding a bike, is training.

There are multiple ways to train, can't punch, work on kicks. work on balance, cardio.... There are a lot of things to master beyond punching

Dead_pool and StooXex like this.
  5. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Doctors told me I could start again then I hurt it again in a mosh pit but the bone wasnt broken or even hairlined. In regards to training kicks would TKD be ok to train as it doesn’t have much punching.

Or should I find someone to do me some privates doing only kicks.

I do acknowledge that I have been kinda stupid in regards to training to early, and wanna slowly build my strength back up so I can train properly again.

sorry if im not making much sense im somewhat dyslexic.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Broke a toe a couple of years ago. It still aches from time to time.

7. Dead_pool

Lift light weights, lift medium weights, lift heavy weights, do pad work gently, do pad work medium hard, do pad work harder, then start heavy bag work. Only then start sparring.

Did you leave England for Holland, even though you can't train at the moment?

This now means you won't be covered by their health systems come the 1st of January.

if you come back before that, you'll have to isolate for 14 days, and you'll miss the vaccination programme this winter

Maryreade1234 likes this.
  8. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Yeah left england have friends here

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  9. Dead_pool

10. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

I got my arm broken in Judo a while ago and it took over a year to feel strong enough to go back (and then there's the psychological trauma that come with injury). Be kind to yourself, strengthen the arm, go see a physio, take up strength training and get the muscles and supporting tissue like muscles and tendons to a superior level than it was before to support the bone better.

A few years back I slipped a disc and it messed me up big time, it took over two years of physio, weight loss, strengthening my core and coming to terms with the pains and altered nerve sensation before I was able to get back on the mat and train. You will find with any traumatic injury that the bones heal first, the soft tissue follow, then (in my experience) its the nerve endings (probably from the inflammation and impingement meaning they take longest to heal) and mind.

What you describe as aching is most likely not the bone, but soft tissue damage, but I strongly reccomend you consult you doctor, arrange physio and come up with a strength and recover program first.

11. Dead_pool

IronMaiden1991 likes this.
  12. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

if it were to go wrong, it would certainly happen here.

Im just going to use this time to keep saving for my 11 month travel plan across the world. I'm going to be living an extended version of Fight Quest in 2025 at this rate

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

axelb likes this.