Any Sportsmen?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by franksv, Nov 4, 2005.

1. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

No mulies this far East and the elk were killed off during Settlement, but lots of white tail. Ordinarily we have to use shotgun, pistol or blackpowder rifle here, but if have a predation permit (for farmers, tree farmers, or orchards) can use centerfire rifle. I prefer 6.5 x 55 Swede.

Used to be a big small game hunter--rabbits, squirrel, quail and pheasant, but lack of time means bigger game. As well, used to shoot a lot of varmits here--coyotes, crows, ground hogs.

Always look forward to Thanksgiving, plenty of wild protein on the table! :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I was going to go yesterday for a week of shotgun season, but I can't miss another week of training and school. :cry:

I just got my license and first deer tag this year too, I'm sure I'll get out some time.

3. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Any of you guys have a freezer full of venison?

I did not get one myself but my buddy was nice enough to give me his Wisconsin white tail(big doe).I processed it myself and gave him the backstraps.I gotta tell you nothing beats corn fed white tail,tatses just like steak.The mule deer I shot in Montana last year was VERY gamey,they eat sage out there.Anyways,my freezer is full,hope you guys had some luck.

4. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

No, but I have one full of moose from my dad. :D

5. kumikaze

kumikaze valved ember

To call people who hunt for fun 'sportsmen' is a grave insult to real athletes.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Jihad!

7. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Why is that? I don't condone sport hunting, but "sportsman" is generally a term related to an outdoors type of person, a fisherman, hiker, camper, hunter, whatever. Nobody calls an athlete a "sportsman" anyway.

What's wrong with someone who enjoys hunting? Being irresponsible, killing more than your share, or not using or giving the rewards away is pretty stupid. Hunting in general however, is a pretty enjoyable experience. It's not something everyone enjoys, you have to have it in you, but there's nothing wrong with hunting for fun as long as you obey the laws and use most of the animal in one way or another.

No, hunters usually aren't athletes, but it's still hard work and I have great respect for a lot of the older people that do it. It takes preparation, a lot of patience and a capable body. Sometimes hunting is more physically demanding than my ma training. Walking for kilometres through mud and snow and bush that is about as tall as me, is pretty hard work when you've got loads of clothing, camo, and equipment on you (in the winter anyway). You usually end up sweating like crazy, and then you freeze if you take any of it off or stop moving. You also need to sit in sometimes very uncomfortable positions for hours. You have to stay awake, keep warm, and be alert the entire time. Then, after all the preparation and work, there's still a pretty good chance that you won't see anything, and you might miss even if you do after all that. Say you do get an animal, you have to carve all the guts out with a knife (do you know how big a moose, deer, or bear is?) and/or carry it/ drag it all the way back to camp.

It's harder and more frustrating than you might think, takes some serious knowledge and skill too, so I think there is a fair bit of respect due to good, responsible hunters. Especially because they do it for fun.

8. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

lol, sorry, I forgot....

9. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Sounds like your going to be well fed for quite awhile.Did you ever get out for sg season?

10. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Theres always going to be a few that make the whole bunch look suspect.On some level I agree with you,I have seen/known a few that are really off the mark.But not everyone that enjoys hunting is doing so to just mount a head on their wall.I am a meat hunter myself(could care less if I take a doe or buck) but I know some guys that are just looking for a record buck.Or what really gets me is guys that don't practice shooting enough and wound an animal.Or guys that hit an animal and are too lazy to track it down.I could go on.Yes,the other side of the argument has some valid issues.But again,there are guys out there that are hunting as true sportsmen.

Frank

11. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

What do you know? Moose are Muslims. Go figure. Hey, moosey, how are you going to cut anyone head off with those hooves? :D

I had deer for Thanksgiving that my brother brought. Deer mainly feed on apple orchards and tree farms where he lives. It was great, along with the quail that he had shot.

Looking forward to Christmas. Protein on the hoof or on the wing to my table--hooray! :cool:

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

A moose jihad is much more terrifying than any human religious kind! Beware!!!!! :yeleyes:

13. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I would agree,if you have ever seen a bull moose in the wild its very humbling.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I have about a hundred acres of forest land but no hunting is allowed on it....