Any Sportsmen?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by franksv, Nov 4, 2005.

1. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Hello Folks

Anyone else gearing up for the 05 season?Or has your season already come and gone?I am in Illinois and our first one is Nov 18-20.I also go up to Montana for mulies(and elk someday) but not this year due to cash and gas prices.

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I'm giving this year a pass, and gearing up for Turkey next spring. Good skill on your hunt, and keep it safe.

3. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I do not advocate hunting unless you plan on eating what you kill.

4. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Always my friend.My uncle up in Montana keeps trying to get me out for turkey but thats a long way to go for birds.You be safe on that turkey hunt.In Illinois,turkey season has the highest incident of accidents due to the fact that we are not required here to wear blaze orange for that season.With how hard wild turkeys are to hunt,I would imagine its the same in most states.

5. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I agree,I am a meat hunter myself.You would be surprised how much bringing a deer home cuts down on the groccery bill for a few months.The thing is,after eating deer for 3-4 months,when I go back to beef.I can taste something unnatural in it for a few weeks.

Regards

6. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

This thread confuses me a lot. Is "sportsmen" a generic term for "hunters" or something in the US?

7. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Yeah, wasn't quite the subject matter I expected either. Demuerly put franksv. :D Having recently gotten tooled-up myself, I'm just getting used to considering myself as a 'shooter'. :eek:

However, I can't bring myself to kill some unsuspecting wildlife, thereby enjoying this 'Gentleman's sport' to the full: happily temptation is removed here in the UK - as it's illeagal.

So it's just targets for me - and I won't have to eat em. :D

8. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Yes,it is a broad term for Outsdoors person.It includes all kinds of big game hunters,all kinds of bird hunters and all kinds of fishermen.

9. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

We don't have a high injury rate, but yes we're not requirde to wear orange.

Sandus, I always eat what I kill. In fact I use almost everything. The skin I tan ti make things from, the rack I use for handles on knives, bone and meat too small or course to eat go to the dogs. I a big advocate on "Use it" or don't hunt.

10. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Thats ok.Its just like a primitive grocery store,except my meat is much fresher.You see a majestic animal(as I do) but I also see chops&burgers.I tell you after putting meat on the table this way,you will appreciate where it comes from all the more when you shop.

I thought that all firearms where a no no in the UK.Are you fellows allowed to have them for targets and clays?

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've got just under 100 acres of mostly unimproved land, turkeys, deer, all sorts of critters but no hunting....

12. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

I like the sound of that - I have scoffed a few road-killed Hare ...mm mmm. :)

To be more specific my 'tool' is a Xbow, with also means Archery Club. ;)
    Health and safety have a lot to answer for IMHO. :Angel:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  13. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I love archery.I bowhunted a few seasons in the early 90's but I never got a shot I liked,so I never took one.A lot of guys would disagree with me but I m not confident enough with bow like I am firearm.I feel I owe it to my quarry to kill clean and fast and bow just don't cut it for me.But targets,I ll hunt targets with a bow all day.Although papar deer are dry and chewy. :D

14. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i love to hunt. i eat all that i kill. would love to get to the level of nordic as far as usage goes but i am not i genreally just eat the meat.

favorite hunt....dove.
    losts of frantic shooting.

quail is a close second. and my dog loves it too....but she is young and a bit more of a hinderance than a help sometimes....but if shes happy im happy.

my animals so far

deer
    quail
    pheasent
    duck
    dove
    canadan goose
    teal
    prarrie chicken...which i will never hunt again....... cause i shot a hen phesaent that i thought was a prarrie chicken

i have gone turkey hunting once but came up empty.

wild bore in africa
    ferral pig...fort riley had a huge problem with them.....cool deal...thye were so many of them, they breed like wildfire, and destroy habitate.

the department of natual resources there opened hunting, trapped them and shot them from helicopters. still countnt keep up.

the rules....have hunting licence...kill as many as you can.

15. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Thats one place I have not gone(bird).Although I do have a retriever,she more into hiking and camping.I m afraid that the first time I hunt with a dog,I will be hooked.Better to not go there until my time frees up.I still have young children and the one or two big game hunts I do a year are hard for them to say goodbye to Daddy for a few days if not a week.But I am sure someday I will venture into it.I really like the Brittany as a gun/companion dog.

16. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

All firearms are legal in the UK its just very difficult to licence them. Machine guns, auto rifles, smgs, handuns(except black powder chamber or muzzle loaders) have to be kept at a govt range = Bisley at the army shool of arms. Rifles (single shot, bolt action, lever action) for hunting and shotguns (i dont know if you can have an auto shotgun) are easier to get, I own a lee enfield mk3* myself and I do hunt deer with it sometimes (for meat and to help conserve the herd)

17. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I see,thats good to hear.I figured based on the number of top hunting breeds your country has produced(dogs),it would be ironic that you boys don't get to hunt present day.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  18. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

yeah. the morning mist clears as you spot a beatiful 10 point buck. you say to your hunting pal. wow what a majestic creature....such grace, eligantance, power.....he must be a wise old bull..if he is able to make it this far....the victor of countless rut battles....

"yeah...lets kill him"

19. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

Just took up bowhunting this year; season has come and gone already in my area (southern Alberta).

On the last day, in the last 10 minutes of legal hunting, I dropped a 4x4 white tail buck, estimated at 6-7years old, at about 200lbs (felt like 500 dragging it outa the bush) Scored at 160 :D

Talk about first year luck!

20. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Nice job.Bowhunting is a challenge.So many things to do and see in this world,so little time.Maybe someday I ll head back into the woods with my bow,but for now it's firearm(rifle/shot gun(slug)).