any good kung fu movies

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shortfuse, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

whats the best jet li movie?

2. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I think that jackie chan holds a record (guiness book of world records) for most number of takes for one sequence. It was over 2000 if i remeber right.:eek:
    Ithink it was 2800ish but not sure.

3. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

2 really good ones

Magnificent Butcher - Sammo Hung shows "Hung Gar" movie fu. Shows that even fat blokes like me can do kung fu.....

Prodigal Son - "wing chun" with Yuen Biao/Sammo

And one of my faves - 5 superfighters - not well known and a bit cheesy but very good pole and spear fights.

4. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

hey whats that jet li movie when he fights a bunch of people in one room and hes wearing all black the oponents are wearing the white karate shirt with the black samurai pants ( i think thats the aikido uniform i dont know the names)? i wanna kno the name and i cant find out

5. Noob

Noob Valued Member

Shortfuse,

If it's a recent film I think you may mean Kiss of the Dragon (2001) - With Bridget Fonda and Burt Kwook (Kato).

If it's an earlier film of his, I don't know.

6. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

he means fist of legend.

In kiss of the dragon they were waring gus not hakama.

7. Noob

Noob Valued Member

Ahhh...I just remembered he fought a lot of people in that one (KotD), then again he regularly fights a lot of people in some films (in one scene), isn't there one where he and his best friend get into a scrape with a bunch of monks, then he and his best friend get thrown out of the temple, then go off, fight on seperate sides of a rebellion, become enemies and Jet Li kills his best friend or something like that.

8. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i dunno i just became a real jet li fan about yesterday

9. dashao

dashao New Member

yup i seen that one might be called twin warriors not sure

10. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

"Story of Ricki"

This movie owns. If you need kung fu then Story Of Ricki will rock your world. It's like evil dead 2 meets Fists of Furry. 'nuff said.

11. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Firstly, I would have to give another recommendation for 'prodigal son' extremely good choreography (or so I thought anyway!).

Secondly, seeing as people are talking about Jet Li his new film 'Hero' is pretty impressive, even if only for all the arty camera work. The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk I & II are also pretty classic and I believe they star a young Mr. Li as well.

And emm finally for sheer comedic value it has to be 'Born Immortal' about the invincible Tai Chi Master :)

12. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Pedicab Driver (Samo Hung).

Great Movie, that got it's Theatrical and subsequent Dvd etc re-release last year, originally came out in 1984ish...Fantastic unarmed and armed Fight scenes, gritty modern storyline and Samo.

13. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Don't know if someones sugested this.

Blad if fury. Looks like it's been funded by the chinese government. Their always going on about china, and china over them and stuff.

PLus.It has teh best dubbed sammo hung voice i have ever heard.It's mostly wu shu stuff like most Hong Kong stuff.

14. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Oh i forgot "Shaolin vs. Lama" thats another classic, it has some of the funniest dubbings ever plus its one of the most ridiculous anti-Tibet based things that I've ever seen... martial lama's, what next? Oh thats right bulletproof monk :(

But it includes the 'Buddha Finger' technique so its worth seeing :D (that is S v L is worth seeing not Bulletproof monk, for the love of God dont make that mistake!)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  15. af_sting

af_sting Teoul Moon Kung Fu

"Five Deadly Venoms" has always been one of my favorites old-time kung fu flicks.

I also enjoy any Jackie Chan film, simply because the guy does such interesting choreographies. For example, although the movie "Who am I?" was only okay, the fight seen on the top of the building made the movie great. Same with the ladder fight in "First Strike". "Rumble in the Bronx" had the fight in the street gang's lair... The killer ski and refrigerator shields…amazing!

Jet Li is incredible, but I wish he'd lessen the wire stunts and show more of his natural ability. I’d rather watch a fight than look at him fly around roof tops. Yes, that’s all kool in moderation, but why add it when the guy is so incredible by himself.

Like Jackie Chan said, “I don’t need special effects…I am the special effect.”

-Sting

16. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

yeh i agree. Especially about the ladder fight. That was amazing.....didn't need the rest of the film.

17. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Any film that overuses wires turns me off - so that counts out a lot of Jet's recent films. Only film that could get away with it was crouching tiger cos that was meant to be all magical, mystical etc etc

However, Jet's Shaolin Temple is brilliant. No wires and some excellent unarmed/weapons fights.

Jackie is good but I think Sammo is as good, if not better. I just think he lacks the recognition he deserves.

18. SliqueRICK

SliqueRICK The Internal Boxer

MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER starring sammo hung as lam sai wing

19. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Theres a really good film which is all samurai sword fighting (anything with soni chiba as well) it was only made 2 or 3 years ago. They were showing it on sky movies recently. Can't remeber it's name Lots ofstory 9not great) but the directing is really cool and it doesn't look like a cheapy MA film.

20. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

Was it Princess Blade?
    I think it has only just recently been released in the U.S