Any Filipino MA in Canada, or in America?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Epsilon, Jan 26, 2004.

1. estudyante

estudyante Valued Member

i am pinoy and i'm a pananandata student here in NY. my guro is Rob Mulligan who is a certified instructor and a direct student of Punong Guro Mat Marinas Sr. his site is kwikstik.com

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not filipino, but I am in the US. DC metro area specifically.

There are plenty of FMA teachers here. Modern Arnis, Doce Pares, Inosanto lineage, Largo Mano...

3. moe389

moe389 Valued Member

I live and train in southern california and we have our share of fillipino and indonesian MA's.

4. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

When I used to live in Toronto, Canada, I used to complain about the 45 minute drive from Scarborough to Mississauga. I live in the Metro Manila now. If I can get anywhere in 45 minutes its considered a short trip. One of my guys commutes from Novaliches to Makati, a couple of hours most days. Another one comes from Cubao some days and from Laguna other days.

Having driven through blizzards in Northern Ontario, typhoons in Bicol, and the traffic in Novaliches, Valenzuela and Quiapo, I think I just need to drive through a Sahara sandstorm to complete my bad driving days experience.

5. Black_Grass

Black_Grass Valued Member

As former Torontonian who also use to lived in Metro Manila I feel your pain Diego_Vega.

I use to sometimes walk from Pasig to Quezon City to train, becasue it was much faster than sitting in traffic on the EDSA.

Vince
    aka Black Grass

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  6. seikido

seikido New Member

London, Ontario seems to be a mecca for filipino martial arts, and you're not too far, if you're interested, check them out, they run seminars regularly (I can't say I've ever taken advantage of it though):

Jason Arnold
    J.A.K.S.
    London, Ontario
    519-690-0597
    jaybacca72@hotmail.com

Paul Dawdy
    Olympic Kenpo Karate & Arnis Studios (O.K.K.A. Studios)
    1472 Dundas St.
    London, Ontario N5W 3B9
    Canada
    e-mail: apdawdy@hotmail.com
    studio (519) 659-0521
    cell (519) 694-1723

Bryson Ingram
    London Martial Arts
    520 Springbank Dr, Unit 5
    London, ON
    519-474-7161
    info@lmaschool.com
    www.lmaschool.com

7. Patrick Hughes

Patrick Hughes Valued Member

Hey Epsilon!
    There are a number of good teachers here in Southern Ontario. Definitely check out Guro Jun. Are you training up there in Aurora? I see from your profile that you do Shaolin Kempo. Is that Tim Wakefield you're training/trained with?
    Cheers!
    Patrick

8. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

I used to commute from Quezon city to Makati, on a good(a very good!)day it took about me 30 min. My worst day it took me three hours to get to Makati. :bang:

9. Roman_Rapido

Roman_Rapido New Member

Hey, that's also my record in terms of travel time from Quezon City to Makati. The problem was the 30 min. travel time happened during the Holy Week (Maundy Thursday) when I have to come in for work on a holiday :eek: and the 3 hour travel time happened when there was a car accident at EDSA during the construction of the MRT. :bang:

10. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I'm part Filipino, orginating from outside Angela. Most of my Filipino family is still over there, and I might want to return someday. I wish i could train in an FMA, but no school in the entire state of Mississippi. I currently train in old style Ryukyu Kempo, and I'm also interested in FMA, and Koryu MA

11. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

In the west we have
    -Master Norman Suanico, and Guro Sonny Padilla/ Ilustrisimo - Red Deer
    - Guro Joel Huncar/ Arnis De Cadena, H.A.N.D.S., Balintawak
    -Guro Louie Lindo/ Balintawak

12. Acitic

Acitic New Member

Hi all,
    i am one of Guro Joel Huncars students, just thought i make presents known.

13. Cuban_Menace

Cuban_Menace New Member

Hey I am new in this Forum, I just started learning Arnis and I love it. The "Heaven and Earth" two stick drills are awsome. I am of Cuban Heritage but my wife is Fillipino, thats how I found out about Arnis.

Anyway I am really into it and practice whenever I have a chance.

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

welcome oh Cuban Menace, may your strikes be fast, your counters be sure and your opponents be scared. As they say once you have tried FMA there is no turning back, you are now hooked for life I'm affraid.

Out of curiosity, what style do you train?

regards

Pat

15. Scarmiglione

Which student are you? By the way i am VERY sorry to hear about Dennis, I hope to be there for the funeral.

16. Acitic

Acitic New Member

Jonathan Henn, and I will pass your condolence onto Dennis's Family.

17. Scarmiglione

Big Jon or Little Jon?
    I'm Dax i train under Maestro Norman and Sonny, I'm the black dude at all the seminars.

18. Highkick

Highkick Banned Banned

Look up Sifu Rob Doley

19. Acitic

Acitic New Member

Hehehe little jon

20. edge

edge New Member

There's lots to choose from in Toronto... Kali De Leon... Combat Science... a Wing Tsun place that does some latosa escrima... etc., etc.