Another new member

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by BohemianRapsody, Mar 31, 2016.

1. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to have found this site, seems like a great group of people. I have a shodan in judo, started when I was a kid and competed for years. I also started studying ninpo Taijutsu in my early teens and still keep at it.

I realize after browsing these forum for awhile (I've been lurking for months) that ninpo doesn't always have the best reputation, and that's often well deserved. I'd like to think my judo background has given me a strong sense of reliable pressure testing.

For me, and I realize people studying the same art have a different point of view, the kata of various ryu-ha that make up the Takamamatsuden are similar in nature to the goshin jutsu no kata in judo. The perfect form of something that you must internalize in order to adapt its lessons to the much messier nature of a real fight.

I'm a big fan of sparring and randori as well. I might post some video if I stick around for awhile but I'd rather get comfortable with the community first.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Welcome BR!

4. BohemianRapsody

Thank you and thank you. Happy to be here...

So when do we start arguing about... Um... Everything?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

General rule of thumb is as soon as you say you do Wing Chun for self defence, or that Ninjutsu is hopeless unless you train in Japan or have taught yourself using You Tube videos.

Other than that we have a pretty welcoming and friendly bunch.

Well, apart from the Karate, TKD, Kuk Sool, Aikido, Jiu Jitsu, Hapkido, MMA and Tai Chi lot.

They're all weird. :D

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Welcome , so , when did you tell your momma you'd killed a man ?

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcome! Nice intro. I'll never be sold on Ninjutsu but it's nice to have you :)

8. BohemianRapsody

Hahahaha yeah hardly anyone is sold in ninjutsu and it's easy to see why. I've often wondered what it would be like if there was a culture of competition from the get go. The stories are that Takamatsu had his fair share of challenge matches, and true or not, if the big boss did it then I can't see how it's wrong for the people under him to follow suit.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I like you :star:

Welcome to MAP

10. BohemianRapsody

11. BohemianRapsody

Yes. I put a gun against his head. Pulled the trigger shot him dead.

12. BohemianRapsody

What if I've taught myself a combination of wing chun and ninjutsu that I learned by watching YouTube while living in Japan? Would that be enough to hang out with the cool kids?

13. SWC Sifu Ben

YouTube is basically a "worst of" collection of wing chun and wing chun frauds

14. BohemianRapsody

Yeah but it's totally different if you watch it in Japan.

15. SWC Sifu Ben

I like this guy hahaha :D

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I approve of your presence here.....

17. BohemianRapsody

Just wait until I spend three paragraphs describing my limp wristed shuto of death...

You'll change your tune real fast.

18. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Welcome to MAP. I'm a few hours down the coast from you in LA.

I'm a big fan of Judo, not so much the ninjutsu. Out of curiosity might I ask how you rectify the non alive art when you have a competitive background? Not trying to pick a fight or anything, I'm just honestly curious.

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP!!! I really and truly actually LOL'd with that one! Awesome, as is your name.

Freddie Mercury=Rock vocal god.:hail:

20. BohemianRapsody

In my opinion, wait no, this one is solid indisputable fact, this was the best live performance of any band in the history of history...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5PLBZ2xn2Y"]Queen Live Aid "Radio Ga Ga" - YouTube[/ame]

I should have named myself RadioGaGa....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwN6dPNXklg"]Kanye West vs Freddie Mercury - YouTube[/ame]

Or better yet, KanyeAin'tFreddie.