- An Update -

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ragnarok2005, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Okay so right. I got an hour before I need to be on my train anyway.

So basically. I've been around the forum for... Coming up 2 years now.

And I've changed a hell of a lot. Especially with regards to Martial Arts.

-

I've left Taekwon-Do.
    Forever, as far as Im concerned. I met and had the **** beat outta me by Boxers, Lau Gar, Judo and BJJ practitioners recently. Comaboy [Muay Thai] also gave me a good kicking.

So where does that leave all the endless hours of interpreting different Kata moves and perfecting the movements and being a technically quite brilliant practitioner?

So yeah. I cant believe I ever wasted time thinking about that kinda stuff. Or practicing any form of sparring that stopped when it went to the floor, or didnt allow low kicks and clinching or compliant sparring drills. Stupid the lot of it.

I really did throw myself into Taekwon-Do. All the patterns and syllabus and pattern applications. I've been doing it since 2004 when I was 15. And I've trained in several organizations and many different schools. Some of which are excellent.
    I think I've gave it a fair shot. And am moving on to better things.

I am still point fighting - This isnt any realistic form of combat I know. But I've been point fighting with a lot of success for quite a while now. And I still love it, and train in it for personal enjoyment.

I've also been doing full contact sparring and got into weight training.

I also work behind a bar now. Not that that has any martial relevance. But thats just where my life is :D - I've put in my application form for The Police [Hamsphire Constabulary] and am waiting for response from that.

So thats basically how it is. I've done a 180 and changed styles completely. I'm primarily training in Kickboxing [With grappling sessions. Good ones at that.] and Judo. Which all told covers 6 nights a week but still leaves me time to go whoring. :cool:

I still would definetly love for anybody with any open tournaments to let me know about them. As competing is still a passion and I do love competitive TKD sparring because it suits my personal style. [Lots of kicking]

But Bullshido has changed me a lot. And I love the place. The no-nonsense attitude. Not pretending that "all styles are good" and all the other things that get said so nobody gets offended.

I will have some videos coming soon coz we're always filming us playing around.

Get some sparring or grappling videos so some of the more experienced guys can give me some feedback and see where I'm up to with my training.

And thats about it. Hope everyone else is doing alright with their lives and training.

With regards

- Rags -

2. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

excellent news on dropping TKD :D good luck with the kickboxing and whatever comes along,feel free to come spar with me and the guys i train with anytime your up Birmingham way :)

Are you going in the MMA direction or Kickboxing and judo individually?

And what do you mean working behind the bar doesnt have a martial revervance?you musn't get many Irish stag nights at yours!:D

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I'd like to point out that I started the trend of dropping TKD because it wasn't any good and taking up grappling arts or MMA instead.

All you losers who followed this pattern over the last two years (You know who you are) owe me royalties.

4. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Wow. Rags givin' up Tae Kwon Do... what's next, the brilliant locks of gold!? :eek:

Good to hear you're enjoying what you're doing now. I gave up Tae Kwon Do when I went off to University, but mainly because the club there was the epitome of bad TKD. You know, half hour cardio followed by kicks in the air and poomse practice.

That being said, I hope you haven't fully adapted Bullshido's "TKD sucks" philosophy. Not all dojangs are TOO terribly bad. ;)

:eek: GASP :eek:

Naw, I signed up there too. Gotta agree with you here, although I'm less timid about posting on MAP. :rolleyes:

5. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Good luck with your training Rags, I hope it continues to meet your expectations/needs. Yeah another TKD convert here too. How much are royalties Slindsay? :D

6. Im going to Birmingham today actually.

But only coz the train goes:

Andover - Basingstoke - Birmingham [New Street] - Wolverhampton.

Doesnt leave me training time mate. LOL

We'll be up there for a CIMAC event though Im sure!

7. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

well done on dropping TKD, whens the hair cut lined up for? :D

8. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

If i could point fight, itd be on :p But i do have a mate thats into that kinda thing so let me know if your doing one up this way.

What in Gods name would you want go to wolverhampton for? :D

9. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Ragnarok2005 Congrats i love hearing about ppls life going good as mine is falling apart at mo.. in every aspect , work , love , mental health :p

so im going to try and fully commit my self back to my kung fu ( wing chung ) i also want to do some sparring so was consedring going to kickboxing with an ex colleauge of mine..

How did you find it going from one MA to kickboxing did you find your self reverting to TKD ? or does the kickboxing sink in easy ???

im not giving up WC i love it just i want some fighting experince to go with it.

Then eventually i want to add in some ground work so will end up in BJJ i believe ( this is looking far into the future though )

10. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Rags what's your BS handle?

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Hi Rags,

Given the focus of Tae Kwon Do, even full contact TKD, and the range and comfort focus of the styles you mention, I'm not surprised. It's far easier to force a long range guy into close range than a close range guy into long range.

That depends upon what you wanted from it. Has it made you a tougher guy - mentally perhaps. Has it made you physically fitter - probably. Did you enjoy it at the time? Probably. So if you enjoyed it - it wasn't entirely wasted time. Perhaps it didn't give you what you now want - but that's a separate matter.

Good for you - if it floats your boat.

I don't go near it much myself. I have to do so much swearing at work and listen to it that I can't be bothered to wade through it on screen. :rolleyes:

Cool.

Good Luck. You are welcome to train down here any time and experience some panic attacks.

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

He's Ragnarok2006, I believe.

13. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

[/QUOTE]

It's nice for me to see Lau Gar included in the list :)
    Just out of personal interest - what was your impression of the Lau Gar fighter;s technique(s) compared with your Taekwon-Do experience?
    What advantages did you percieve it having in comparison?
    Do you think it was more the fighter or were aspects of the techniques employed an important factor too?

14. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Good luck with it all man!

And you forgot...you've had your hair cut! :D

15. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Congrats on leaving taekwondo.

You should still have a very good basis for good hard fast kicks... don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. If all you've been doing is point sparring you're going to need to work on setting those kicks up and switching up ranges when you do more full contact.

Jealous about the judo... think I'm too old and injured to be able to get into that now!

I'm interested about the lau gar question too. They seem very aggressive fighters and seemed to be very good close range too... I did submit one with the dreaded aikido last time I sparred full contact with one though... :D :p

16. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Keep rollin' rags. Roll with the punches and adapt to the times. Roll with cats trying to submit you and get better. Roll with the hard contact and keep improving. Because that's how we roll.

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i'm sure that your time spent in TKD is not all for not. you had to learn discipline among other things so best to you rags.

now if we can get you to be humble and a good hair cut....the sky is the limit ;)

18. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Your TKD bailing story reminds me of my own Shotokan bailing. Really to me you can find some good TKD and Shotokan, high intensity, sensible simple brutal self defence, contact sparring etc...

But what made me bail was not the lack of intensity of or even lack of "aliveness" in training but the bankruptness of understanding and the degradation of the system as a whole over generations.

To me the Shotokan I was doing; not even the top dogs knew what the applications to the kata were, what the kata where really trying to teach. There was just the passing down of kata with the Karate tradition. They say guys like Partick McCarthy (who I've been to two seminars of his) know the bunkai, but to tell you the truth I'm not impressed (for a whole lot of reasons I won't get into). I also have heard some evidence that the Chinese didn't tell the Okinawans the full story (and seen the complete techniques), because... well they were Okinawans.

My current WC instructor has a full and utterly comprehensive understanding of the WC forms (except maybe the Baat Jam Do, a.k.a. the Knives, although I don't think Yip Man did either) aswell as hours and hours of video footage of Wong Shun-leung explaining all the forms exactly as he's explained them to me.

Also the obession with basics made me feel like I was always riding a bike without taking the training wheels off. I mean If I did the basic version of the WC punch (at the beginning of SNT where you chamber one fist at your side and move the other from yourside to the centreline and then punch out) I'd get a hole punched in my face.

To me a large chunk of the Karate world is a case of bad lineage. :D

I don't know about other forms of Karate, I've heard others like Goju and Uechi are more in touch with the cores of their systems; and then you've got Kyokushin which IMO is basically a reformation of Karate (though for some reason they've kept the Kata, they should have discarded them)

I didn't write this to try and **** off TKDers and Shotokaners, this is just what I've concluded. Learn what you can.

That all aside as I've mentioned in other threads (it was probably just one, but meh) I find that TKD seems to produce the most agile. flexible and fastest kickers. Imagine what it could be like if TKD discarded their forms, refined their hand techniques (still do the basics at the start but discard them from frequent practice) and increased the intensity and aliveness of their training (prehaps try and restore knowledge from their roots i.e. Takeyon or however you spelt it). You'd get a pretty good kicking art that I might be interested in training in.

19. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Well done! Good luck...

20. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I think it's just something everyone goes through. "Yeah I did the TKD thing. Heh."

What differs is how long they sucker you for and how much $$$ they take from you.

Hey if it tickles your fancy, so be it!

Yaaaaay!

The best parts of Bullshido.net are like lost treasure, you just have to dig through alot of dirt to get to them. But yeah BS is awesome, fighting the crap in MA, one McDojo at a time...

ANd yes what is your handle?