Alternative applications for Taegeuk il jang

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Oerjan, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Oerjan

Oerjan New Member

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I like these kinds of exercises... good for remembering the moves and for deeper thinking about applications. I also like how it's presented.... nice text and pictures. The only suggestion I would add involves the arm bar... I bet if you turn just a little and come in 'hip-to-hip' to apply it, you'll get better pressure (and/or a better position in the blind spot if it doesn't work)

3. Oerjan

Oerjan New Member

That is true Thomas. I turn hip to hip if my aim is control, but only about 90 degrees if my aim is to finish with a strike. 90 degrees puts your strike on a direct line toward the head. The strike is more awkward (in lack of a better word) from the hip to hip position. Glad you liked it:)

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Oerjan, welcome to MAP.

In this instance I'll allow the links, but please not we don't allow links back to personal sites.

In future posts and threads please add all detail directly on MAP.

Thank you.

Simon. .

5. Oerjan

Oerjan New Member

Thank you for letting the links stay. I will look through the guidelines before posting more posts.

6. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

A. I am not a KKW Guy
    B. I acknowledge that the possibilities and details can be never ending
    C. With these types of apps I feel it invaluable to teach how pressure points can be used to get more "Bang for the Buck" They will not make bad technique good, but will make good technique better.
    1. For the wrist Grab / low Block application your forearm should target the radial nerve. This will cause pain and a head turn reaction positioning the mandibular angle for a knockout strike.
    2. For the Grab wrist / arm bar attack / trigger the tricep tendon which will weakon the knees facilitating an arm bar.

7. Oerjan

Oerjan New Member

Thank you for your valuable input Master Weiss. I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. But I would not limit that to applications like these, but in all applications of Taekwondo. I am not a "Chang Hon Ryu" guy but I like the training secrets of Choi Hong Hi, and if I remember correctly he told us to know and familiarize ourself with the vital points and how to attack them so we could chose the correct tool for the job (paraphrasing wildly here).