Act of valor review

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jordanblythe104, May 6, 2012.

1. jordanblythe104

jordanblythe104 Valued Member

Just watched act of valor so I thought I would tell you what I thought of it.

It's about an elite team of navy seals that are on a mission to save a kidnapped CIA agent from a drug cartel somewhere in South America(don't remember where exactly). The mission was a success but a piece of intel found during the op suggests a group of jihadists want to bomb parts of America. So the seals new mission is to stop them before they cross the border in mexico.

The storyline didn't seem too well thought out but was still relatively realistic and had some good moments aswell. The action scenes had everything from car chases, explosions and Ak wielding terrorists. But the coolest thing about the movie was the fact that the main characters are real navy seals. Although I really enjoyed this movie, It still doesn't seem like one of those action movies that you watch over and over again, but Definately worth the watch. I would rate it about 8/10

2. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

3. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

In my opinion it's the closest thing t original we'd find these days. I love the realism of it

4. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

It wasn't about an "elite" team of SEALs, just a conventional team (the SEALs have some of the longest training of any spec ops program in the world so "conventional" isn't necessarily accruate.) Team Six is their "elite" unit, which this story is not about.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie even if the acting was a little rough in parts. What part of the story did you feel wasn't "well thought out" Jordan?

Note: It was written by Tom Clancy who I feel is a poor character writer in many ways, but he is a former Navy man who is renowned for the technical accuracies of his stories. It was also filmed with actual active duty SEALs playing the role of SEALs and consulting on the movie. The yacht scene was an actual live-fire Navy training drill.

5. John R. Gambit

Oh, and if you answer my question, please use spoiler tags in your post to preserve the plot for those who haven't seen it if you're going to get specific.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I just watched it - loved it! Overall, the "acting" showed why some actors get paid a lot more (seemed a little cheesy here and there) and the story was a sort-of by the numbers one (although still good). The real seller here was the very realistic violence - I loved seeing the teamwork, use of weapons (coordination + coverage), and the setup. Where the acting may have seemed a little behind what the pros do... the actions shows why these guys do it for a living and are professionals. Great movie!

7. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

I thought Tom Clancy only stamped his name on the novelization?

8. John R. Gambit

I think you may be right about that. Hum? It's very confusing, but here:

9. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

So it's basically a Tom Clancy movie...by real seals? Don't care was still awesome lol

10. John R. Gambit

Nope, I guess Tom Clancy did not write it. These days he just runs around stamping his name on things he doesn't actually have a hand it. It's weird.

But yeah, it was filmed with active duty SEALs.

11. Koetsuji

Koetsuji Valued Member

hmm strange indeed, the active duty SEALs is why i went to see it in the first place