Acoustic Frank Turner

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Another Muay Thai Guy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

More well known for his days as the Million Dead vocalist, he's now switched to doing solo. I've been following him for a little while now and finally got round to buying his album Sleep Is For The Week which arrived earlier today. I really dig this sort of acoustic/folk/anti-folk or whatever you want to call it, and this album is right up there with my favourites now, every song on there is great, especially 'The Real Damage', 'Romantic Fatigue', and 'The Ballad Of Me And My Friends'. Anyone else like this sort of thing, got any more recommendations for me?

www.myspace.com/frankturner

Check it out. :)

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Wow, I really like the stuff on his myspace page. I'm off to Amazon to buy the album...

Nice recommendation MTGuy!

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Awesome. Moosey, have you tried The King Blues? Again, acousticy, but with a very definite ska base/influence. They've really established themself in the UK scene now, I think you might like them. Under The Fog is a really good album as well. :)

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Wow.
    Nice one. The myspace stuff is execellent.
    I love this sort of music. Am I wrong for thinking it bears some resemblance to Billy Bragg?! :confused: I've always hated the term 'folk music' because in many ways it's got ultra cheesy conotations... but then I remember that Hank Williams Senior has some 'folk' about him and I feel better. :D

I've gotta get this on CD.
    Thanks for posting it! :)

'Thatcher *bleeped* The Kids' is pure class.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  5. Moosey

My CDs arrived this morning! :D

I thought he's quite like Billy Bragg too!

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Yeah Billy Bragg is a comparison that quite a few people bring up, there's definitely something there. I'm really ****ed, Frank was supposed to be playing a pub gig about 10mins from me last Monday.....and then he lost his voice so it was cancelled. :cry: Ah well, what can you do eh? Still loving the album. :cool:

7. Moosey

I'm kinda 50/50 over the album. Some of it's fantastic (Father's Day stands out) but some of it is a bit "Life's so hard when you're middle class and popular". I like the EP more on the whole.