Abecedario | Numerada

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ap Oweyn, May 29, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Out of curiosity, how do those of you who use abecedario (aka numerada) as a training methodology organize it?

For those who aren't familiar, it's like one- or three-step sparring in karate or taekwondo. A cooperative partner feeds an attack, then the eskrimador blocks and counters (or whatever). Then the partner feeds the next attack.

In my Doce Pares background, we started with a basic block and counter, then (with each belt level) added another counter (making it a one-count, two-count, four-count with passing, and then freestyle). After a certain belt level--and I can't remember which one--we changed blocking style slightly and proceeded from there.

So: If you use abecedario, how? And if you were to organize your own abecedario differently than you were taught, how would you do it?

Have at it.

2. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I can't really remember for sure if we do that, we do learn the basic disarms and sinawali. I'm not very sure about our style for sure. We just incorporated Senkotiros into our Kajukenbo style. It is somewhat of an add on. If I understand correctly our Professor is going to talk to his dad (Our Grandmaster) and try to get something going where our 3rd degrees are going to also have the rank of Lakan Isa, or our Grandmaster's Lakan Tatlo will attain a rank of 1st Degree. Honestly, I don't know if we use it, extensively, but we do use it for our disarms. Oh, we do have Gumon, where it is attack and defend, depending on the striking and opening, it is random. I hope that was a little help or insight into it :p, I kind of went off on a tangent haha.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

In Guba Doce Pares it also changed at each belt progression.

4:3
    5:4
    6:5 and so on.

We also did double strikes, so maybe the feeder does an angle 1 and 2, and the defender does the abecedario off of the angle 2.

Randon strikes are always good. So you may get an angle 1 and an angle 6, which you have to block and abecedario after the last block.

I've pretty much repeated ap Oweyn's post, but it's own fault for asking. :whistle:

A good set of drills and it certainly helps with fluidity, countering high and low and across the body from inside to out, or vice verca.

Edit.

For those who are not familiar with the drill, here is GM Danny Guba demonstrating abecedario 4:3. 4 strikes on the inside and 3 on the outside line.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W0-cny9MsY"]abecedario - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Is the progession in Doce Pares kinda like this (not sure if the guys are doing DP* or what)?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbPzrdRBcTQ"]Doce Pares[/ame]

*tee-hee.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  5. Bambi

Bambi Valued Member

Most styles would have something similar I guess?

I like doing it in random sequence and slashing through on the occasional strike so the defender understands the potential flaw in placing your live hand into the flight path of a stick :cry: