ABC combat System?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 18, 2015.

1. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Has anyone come across the ABC combat system? Seems like its similar to FMA with strikes based on the alphabet. Its founder is Chris Crudelli from Mind, Body and Kick-ass Moves TV series.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpg4H2R2pkw"]Chris Crudelli's ABC Combat System - YouTube[/ame]

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Apart from when he tried to plug it via one of his TV shows, no.

Then again it's just him teaching it in Birmingham or does he have a franchise?

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I think if you are basing claims of your systems efficacy on the technique's ease of recall then that seems a bit iffy. ABC thing appears gimmicky too. Can't see much about the actual material in this video though.

Used to enjoy his programme back in the day but there was some proper nonsense on it, which he seemed to buy into. Maybe he was just being polite.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So he has basically reinvented the number system from Fillipino arts and made it just for Latin alphabet users?

Looks like gimmicky twaddle

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And you know for a fact some of the 26 are a real stretch to fit in.

6. EmptyHandGuy

Will have to take a look and see if I can find a video of the 26 techniques as he doesn't show much in that video.

7. blindside

blindside Valued Member

In Pekiti one of the older methods of teaching in the curriculum was through the Numberado and Alphebeto techniques. And it was just as described in this video, you are mimicking the pattern of the numbers and letters. It wasn't try to present the entirety of the system, but at hear it is the same idea as being presented here.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

A Royal Marine buddy of mine said Crudelli was invited to Lympstone to teach his ABC system. The opinion among those present was that Crudelli's system was questionable at best and... well, the TOS forbid me from repeating what a Royal Marine would say for "at worst."

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

If Chris stuck to one thing and dropped all the mystical mumbo jumbo, he might be ok. At least, he seems to have the passion and a degree of skill.

But he has created a couple of systems of his own, and likes to buy into a lot of the esoteric.

Shame - he's a nice bloke in person.

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I could build a system around the similar mechanics from spear, bayonet, and guisarme. They're similar weapons but that doesn't promote skillful application or respect for the subtle differences that make those weapons exceedingly great at their specialties and those weapons are arguably far more similar than the three Crudelli is using.

Recognizing the similarities between different weapon mechanics is good. Building a system around only those is stupid.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Especially what looks like a vastly inferior clone of FMA

12. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Hmm... So a Kung Fu instructor tries to invent a system apparently derived from FMA, and sells it on the strength of responding to violent situations by drawing shapes in the air that mimic letters of the alphabet. Thankfully, in the absence of any operational, competitive, or subject matter experience, he is nonetheless able to pull from his time spent travelling the world filming a TV series (where he spent most of his time stroking his chin and nodding solemnly) to produce a definitive solution to carefully choreographed scenarios. Seems totally legit to me!

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The website doesn't have any content, the Facebook page says this:
    But he doesn't appear to be teaching knife and weapon defence, he seems to be teaching knife and weapons fighting.

14. Janno

Janno Valued Member

In fairness, a basic understanding of weapon work is quite effective in establishing a foundation for a defensive programme. HOWEVER, only when it's delivered with purpose in mind, rather than trying to emulate shapes and movements. The whole concept of "Your enemy will attack you like this, so you will do this to counter" is very outdated. The fact that people are still building/selling programmes based on this flies in the face of the huge amount of historical, scientific and physiological data that is so readily available via open source.

As for it being "intuitive" because it's based on something "familiar?" (ie the alphabet), even the most basic pressure testing will expose the fact that it's hard enough choosing between option A or B when it hits the fan - let alone options A-Z!!!

Personally, i'd be more inclined to look at the solutions that are executed by those who operate/inhabit/compete in environments where they are likely to be hit hard, by someone who really wants to damage them. I'd wager that in all cases, the solutions are simple, well practiced, and effective. What these solutions are NOT are complex, highly stylised, and honed in conditions that favour convenience over realism.

15. EmptyHandGuy

Couldn't find any video's of the 26 techniques other than this one for A.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_sDZjHuBTg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Tactical A - YouTube[/ame]

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

ABC? What is that a acronym for? All Badly Classes

17. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Accepting Beautiful Cash!

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Actually Bad Combative.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Absolute Bull Crap?

20. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

By the way, you do also realise that "Absolute Bull Crap" is officially your 1000th post? Double congratulations! :D