A Question About Drunken Boxing

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Fallen_Angel, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Fallen_Angel

Fallen_Angel New Member

I have a question about Zuijiuquan (also known as Drunken Boxing, Drunken Fist), I've been intrested in this style alot lately and was just wondering; I've heard people call it a style of Gung Fu and others call it a style of Wushu so my question is what one is it?

2. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

technically speaking they're the same thing.

3. zenbaseballbat

zenbaseballbat New Member

I was told that if its the wushu style its just physical movement, but the original kungfu style has a more internal feel to it, and the movements have an internal energy feel for the practitioner

Ive never done it tho, so im just saying what i heard
    :)

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Gongfu and Wushu are the same thing. People in China say "Wushu" (or more specifically, "Zhongguo Wushu"). People in America say "Gong Fu," or if they're stuck in the seventies, "Kung Fu."

5. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

hmm...i done boxing while drunk, does that count???:D:D:D :yeleyes:

6. TheBeast

TheBeast New Member

I have been taking drunken boxing for almost six months now. It is very difficult to find a school in this style. Drunken boxing is almost a show but it can be very effective if done right. There are other "drunken styles" including drunken monkey which is possibly one of the most difficult styles out there. Unlike drunken monkey drunken boxing doesn't consist of a ton of acrobatics however there are some pretty cool stunts to pull off. A lot of what you'll study is about the 8 drunken immortals. I think one of the most important things about this styles is you learn to not take a hit but go with it. It is very common to be punched or grabbed because you shift your balance so often. However if you do it the proper way, not a single punch, kick, whatever, will hurt you and the opponent is only setting himself up against your counterattack. To answer any other questions- Kung Fu and Wushu are also technically the same thing. Drunken Boxing is very VERY internal. And yes my master does drink heavily and some people even choose to be drunk when fighting drunken boxing style. I don't know if it's been proven to work better or not but i cannot do it yet because I'm not 21.

7. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

I'm drunk alotta time in the weekends... and I do boxing... may i participate in this debate? :p

8. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Drunken boxing forms, like all Chinese martial arts forms are training methods designed to instill certain principles. The purpose of drunken boxing is NOT to confuse the opponent by staggering around like a drunkard. A zui-quan practitioner maintains a stable stance in actual combat, just like anyone else.

Like monkey boxing, drunken boxing derives its principles from imitating the attitudes of the drunk, i.e. seeming almost to fall asleep and then suddenly opening the eyes wide, or seeming to be in unstable position but actually using the momentum of falling or tottering as a source of power. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE DRUNK OR EVEN DRINK OFTEN TO DO ZUI-QUAN. You can learn more about the philosophy of it by observing someone who is heavily intoxicated while you yourself are sober. Think about it like Monkey or any other animal-inspired style. The goal is not to be a monkey. It is to learn certain principals by observing a monkey.

This also teaches you that even if you really are falling because you've been thrown, etc., you can still get in a shot AS you fall. Another aspect is that many drunken style movements involve literally jumping on and hanging onto the opponent by the neck the way a drunkard leans on people as he struggles to walk. There are indeed lots of falling movements, but these are usually intended to be falling onto the opponent. Also, because a drunkard's range of vision tends to be narrowed, Drunken style often picks a target, usually the head, and then attacks that same target again and again without stopping. In addition to the movements that involve falling on an opponent, Drunken styles usually contain more ground-fighting oriented moves than most other CMAs.

Drunken boxing also makes use of a kind of jerky energy wherein the practitioner sort of pulls on the opponent in one direction lightly and then uses the rebound energy to go back in the same direction much harder. This is augmented by strong use of the hips and abs in undulating movements. This requires internal power because the shaking movement must be created by the dantian. If you've ever been the victim of a zui-quan throw, you know it feels like going through a washing machine. The hips, abs and back muscles must also be very strong and flexible to zui-quan. Another example of how the zui quan practitioner makes use of the stomach and back is that if the opponent throws a punch to the stomach, the zui-quan person can "cave in" on the punch, pulling the stomach backward and leaning the heads and arms forward to attack the head of the opponent while simultaneously rendering his attack useless.

Numerous styles contain so-called drunken sets. I've only studied one Drunken Mantis form, but my teacher also teaches 3 drunken monkey forms as well as forms called the "Eight Drunken Immortals," and "the Drunken Luohan." The key to understanding zui-quan is that they are forms--i.e. training tools.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  9. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

lol, i feel ya man!

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Shantari, might I remind you, as the resident juvenile court defense attorney, that you're not old enough to be drunk??? :D

11. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

While "Wushu" simply means "martial art," "Wushu" is usually used to refer to a gymnastic sport based on traditional kung fu, but deprived of all martial intent. "Kung Fu" is a term used for all Chinese martial arts.

Drunken style is supposed to make the opponent think you're drunk. It requires a lot of balance and flexibility.

12. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

No, no, no. Read my above post. Drunken boxing is as much about fooling the opponent into believing you're drunk as monkey boxing is about fooling the opponent into thinking you're a monkey.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  13. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Not when he is in Holland :D

beer and everything below 12% available at the age of 16
    and all the good stuff (40% and more) at the age of 18 :D

God I love my country:)

we also have legalised drugs, and a red light district..

did I say I love my country? :Angel:

14. Suzmo

Suzmo New Member

onyomi, that was an interesting read. Looks like theres one person on this forum that knows what he/she is talking about it. :D

altho, have you heard of drunken "fighter" form? an ex-teacher of mine told me that he 'heard' theres a form of drunken boxing that proceeds to be more standing up and more offensive but still retaining but not so much of its internal characteristics, but not as much internal as the other forms of drunken boxing?

this form of drunken boxing is portrayed in some video games, lei wulong from tekken 2? 3, 4 and 5 does this form.. someone from dead or alive does this form also... these games dont portray the correct naming of the form or any background, you can just use it and beat up the other player...

im interested in this form of drunken boxing... and to my fortune, there may even be a class starting up in my area of this form :D :D :D ... i hope. :eek:

15. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I would love to visit your country.

I'm also gonna say that I've tried out MA whilst drunk and can't recomend it highly enough if you know where to get a cheap suply of lightbulbs.

16. Suzmo

Suzmo New Member

bump.

17. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

What was the point of that? You only gave people one day to respond to your post, and there was only one post after it.

18. Fallen_Angel

Fallen_Angel New Member

Re

Thanks for the help guys, those were very imformative posts and they helped alot thanks!

19. Sincrad

Sincrad New Member

ah yes yet another thread about Zui Quan... -_-
    again plz go to the Zui Quan Thread if you have any questions or wish to share info on this style.