A matter of respect.....or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by campsinger, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

That's kinda what we do, but several posters were asking for videos of this before they'd take us seriously so I'm curious to see what they have to offer

2. Dunc

I just shove a camera on a chair in the corner of class...

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Exactly. Core competency. It's why as several people have pointed out on here before, you don't suddenly gain the magical powers to defeat superior grappling skills just because eye pokes are now a part of the game.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

Yeah, going to have to do that when I get back to teaching. You're honestly far better at filming yourself than I am.

5. Dunc

I have a few (old) clips of resistive training exercises kicking around - one or two from before I really started training in BJJ

I'll happily share them via PM with any of the posters here who are also willing to do the same

How does that sound?

6. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

I think you should be worried about your student's respecting you, who cares about what people online think? Of course there's a caveat: if you are teaching, you should know what you teach is effective and not a bunch of malarky. If you don't, you shouldn't be teaching. I know what I am learning is effective, it works on resistance. You can't know that unless you've resisted, and you won't learn that if all you do is train with arm hangers. Sports are fine(not the best for every arena), sparring is fine, fighting is fine. We all live and we all have to die. It's the circle of life.

But seriously, the only way for someone to really respect what you do is for them to feel it for themselves. Then they will know(and come out of the closet begging to be ninja). If you don't have the goods, you have to rectify that. Begging for respect is the surest way to never receive it.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

One way to gain a students respect is to show what you do though - hiding ones light under a bushel is not always the way to go, especially in an environment that is positively maggoty with other disciplines

8. Dunc

Ouch!!

I hope that's not the way I came across.....

I was responding to the double standards that several posters here have when it comes to the efficacy of the buj

9. garth

garth Valued Member

Dead Pool posted

Because i'm not talking about fighting, at least in the context that you mean.

Anyway I think I have said what I need to say on this topic. If some can't get it, so be it.

10. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

I've never read anything by Mr. Cummins, and the documentary I posted and you commented on is by Dr. Jack Turner, a very well respected member of the international community when it comes all things ancient history especially ancient Japan. So explain please why I shouldn't watch documentary to learn? Is it because I should listen to you instead? I definitely don't think you're any more of an authority on Japan than Cummins. You both have your own agendas, clearly..

So now a question: Why do you always poo-poo actual academic discussion? I know you have this hangup about "researchers" you don't like such as Cummins...but you can't whitewash every academic. Your dismissive nature is evident, and that's not very scientific.

Your comment before about being "a historian", and "that's how history is" intrigued me. Why should anyone believe you, if you discount historical science and people with PhD's in international affairs? I can get you don't like Cummins, but I work in this field (professionally and academically).

So, no respect for a fellow huh? Maybe you're not who you say you are. What the heck are your credentials again other than being a prolific MAP poster? I don't think I've ever seen someone make so many appeals to authority as you do.

But I already said it had no connection to real ninjas.
    See PR, your reading comprehension is a big problem. And clearly, clearly, the design definitely takes everything you associate with Ninjutsu into account. But, you're going to try to dismiss this because you are/were a student of the Bujinkan? Suddenly this makes everything you say about Ninjutsu canonical? No way on earth.

It's irrelevant that you've visited Myoryuji. I've pored over the floor plans, art work, and architectural design for hundreds of Japanese structures from 1500-2016. But you're a secret online ninja master so I must be getting all my info from Anthony Cummins? Get real.

It's hard to have a rational discussion with you on any point, because you view yourself as an authority on Ninjutsu, yet, you're not. You've made this a non-falsifiable thing on MAP, no one can counter your claims of authority over all things Ninjutsu, or Japan in general? Don't make me laugh brother.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  11. The Iron Fist

Whatever, man. Try your emotive ninja tricks on some other fish.

Maybe few question it because no one has an opportunity. What a cop out, man, are you for real?

Who is your instructor, and where does he train? I will definitely visit him on my next trip to Japan.

Hence search function what, exactly? That's how I found the video using the search function.

So what it's been discussed before, I posted it to support you, in particular. I won't make that mistake ever again, you don't deserve (or need) anyone's support, I guess.

My attitude of asking for evidence of your bold claims about Ninja, Japan, and others that you casually avoid, and worse, try to pin back on me, personally?

What a great way to silence and alienate your critics. YOUR attitude just lost one more supporter, PR; the one writing the doctoral thesis on Asian warfare. I was hoping to use you as a resource, but now I see you're a Kool-aid drinker like so many others.

I've thought about it, and I'd like to visit you and/or your instructor and spar. I'd love to see you AND your instructor made an example of, are you willing to give me (or anyone else) an opportunity? Of course not, you're too busy hiding and sniping.

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So all your training where you block and strike and grip and enter and throw and choke etc, arent the real training?

So none of your training has any fighting in it?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9JumezQJ4U"]Goshinjutsu Northampton - YouTube[/ame]

Not even the slightest? I'm sure I can see a little!

13. The Iron Fist

Good question, why DO you care so much about what people online think?

You've invested a great deal of posts (almost 5,000) in trying to convince people on MAP you're an expert authority in a certain field, but when challenged, you clam up, dismiss non-Bujinkan sources, and evade serious questions. Or worse, you try galloping with Japanese terminology in an attempt to confuse people. Nothing you think you know about Japan's last two millennium will confuse me, personally, I've seen a lot more of it than you seem to have.

Worse, anybody who puts forward information on Ninjutsu or Japan that doesn't come from you or the Bujinkan organization, you call out and attempt to associate them with people like Cummins (like you just did with me).

And on top of it, you claim I'm/we're the one with the attitude problem. Take a look in a mirror, brother, and you'll see the reason for the thread's topic. Your attitude.

14. Dunc

Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse, but I would like serious folk from other styles to see something of what I see in the buj

Our reputation and presence on youtube irritates me to be honest

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I'm actually in agreement with Hannibal on this , in that what's in the Bujinkan syllabus (as such) is perfectly viable ,more people just need to train with a bit more pressure

16. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Talk about reading comprehension. Yes, I'd advise that you don't learn about Japanese history from documentaries. Cummins is hardly an academic. He is even less of a historian on Japan than Turnbull. Nobody is poo-pooing academic research, but if you knew the first thing about ninja research, you'd know that there is almost none from an academic perspective. Now, nightingale floors have been discussed on MAP before, I would suggest you learn how to use the search function as you clearly haven't read up on old threads(hence you posted a video that had its own thread about and reposting videos in the ninjutsu forum is frowned upon). Wow, so they built nightingale floors and shinobigaeshi and other things to deal with ninjutsu!??!!! Thanks for that newsflash!:rolleyes:

I'm not dismissing anything about the architectural design of defensive structures, I am telling you that it's old news. What's your point? The fact that we already know this has nothing to do with the Bujinkan so try again.

Read again, I said if you thought that Myoryuji had any connection to ninjutsu(as to your claim that it did). So please show where you found that it did. That would be worthy of discussion. No appeal to authority, just the facts ma'am. What do your pouring over floor plans have to do with anything? Did you find ninja hiding there?

There are samurai homes like the Nijo jinya that also feature karakuri (trapdoors and the like) and guess what, no connection to ninjutsu. You're laughing at your own ignorance at this point, and we still aren't brothers kiddo. Just because you haven't taken the time to familiarise yourself with what has been discussed before, don't assume that people are appealing to authority, they just might be appealing to education.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bYpqZXUTsno[/ame]

Heres David Dow (a bujinkan guy) doing light judo with a high grade judo teacher -

18. The Iron Fist

I see a lot of (dead) Jujutsu, which is exactly what they teach there (and apparently, not much else historically associated with Ninjutsu).

Their reputation and presence online would be greatly assisted by joining the rest of the martial arts that train alive, and aren't afraid to come into the open with their training. The reason they won't is the same no matter what you train...you're afraid of criticism. There's nothing secret about what they're training, it's been well understood for CENTURIES.

The days of secret training cults are centuries gone (we all thought, until they showed up on the Internet with No True Scotsman fallacies and tales of secret writings only available to few, essentially no different than George Dillman claiming he's one of the handful of people in the world that can knock you unconscious with his mind).

PleaseReality is probably one of the worst offenders I've ever seen online. It's not HIS fault ("he doesn't care, his own words) or his community's fault, it's YOUR fault that it gets a bad rap. That is such a crock, man, it's why nobody wants to bother listening when they try to get specific. They're always right, we're all wrong because we haven't felt 'the magic touch' of Ninpo they have. Just change the Gi and martial art, you've got Dillman's no touch knockouts and "Sun Tzu says".

Give me a break already...least genuine Bujinkan folks I've ever encounters are right here on MAP, that's the damn truth.

19. SWC Sifu Ben

That's great to see! Sportive/resistant for the win!

20. Dunc

Do you have any videos of your resistive training that you could share?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.