a cop in need of advise.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by master35, Apr 1, 2004.

1. ranger

ranger New Member

beliv me there are not that many parameters in Law enforcement here :)

2. OBCT

OBCT New Member

1. Judo (locks, holds and if it goes to the ground your okay)

2. Ju Jitsu (ground work, some similar techniques to judo and generally holding, great if you take suspect to ground)

3. Aikido (Used in Japan by police, gives great idea of movement, Ki - if you want to go that deep, great throws, takedowns, joint locks, plus usually teaches weapon retention)

4. wing chun (sensitivity training, build up speed, helps with rooting, trapping is great can be learn relatively quickly [no offence to wing chunners, you do have a very effective system, but historically it is meant to be learn in a shorter period of time LEARNT not mastered, compared to say aikido or tai chi]

5. muay thai/kickboxing (self confidence, fitness learning distance judgement, and learning your personal limits in a short space of time, what can you do what can't you do, how fit you are etc.) [plus you cops love to show off to each other in the changing rooms.LOL

6. Ninjitsu (sounds unsuited for apprehension i know, but a friend of mine in the police [uk] finds the locks very useful

7 tai chi (would take a long, long time to implement, but builds up fitness promotes a relaxes, stoic calm mind, which makes a better officer, if only all policemen, no in fact every person studied tai chi and aikido the world would be more honest, less violent and a far safer place, but for now keep that desert eagle a flyin')

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the best parameters set for law enforcement is the one set by the mayor of davao!

stick to the simple effective basics: pistol, stick, knife, baton, hands and feet.

tactical shooting, kali, mano mano and dumog.

4. master35

master35 New Member

ikaw naman baka di na pumunta yan dito sa pinas. :D
    wag **** takutin. :D

5. ranger

ranger New Member

no, :D i mean there's a wide range of MA to choose from coz i think the "what to do" are somewhat similar and "what not to do" are somewhat less. :D i'm even encouraging them to come here. :)

6. krys

krys Valued Member

This isn't the best example for law and order..... Isn't is curious that small pushers and addicts are killed while this never happens to the drug lords?

7. Jax

Jax New Member

Is it true that there were no laws in the phillipines untill about 1935?

8. shootodog

drug lords? in davao? the stiff is usually brought in from manila! manila has drug lords! protected by senators/ actors!

9. shootodog

i guess you heard wrong. we did not have an independent constitution until 1935 ( officially. the malolos constitution of 1898 was banned and disregarded by the americans).

from the 1500s until 1898 we were under the laws of the empire of spain. 1899 until 1935 we were under the laws of the military government of the united states. 1935 to 1940 we had laws, governed as a commonwealth under the u.s. 1940 to 1945, we were under the military rules and laws of the empire of japan. 1945 to present, we've been relatively on our own.

who ever sat in malacanang set down the laws. be they spanish, american, japanese or ours.

side note: some time back in the 1800s the british empire held us for two years.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  10. Plywood

Plywood New Member

Of course laws existed. The Philippines gained commonwealth status under the Americans in 1935 with more say in the internal running of the country. They became independent in 1946. So, you could probably say there's been less law since 1946.

11. master35

master35 New Member

kita mo na naniwala na sa 'yo si Jax na wala tayong laws sa pinas til 1935. :D

12. master35

master35 New Member

sir Jax we're law abiding and peaceful people. we here respect the law. all bad things you hear about abusayaff and drugs are just minority report that are blown out of proportion by radio anouncers and tv. even us leo would sometimes believe tv reporters exadgeration of the facts. have you been here?

13. Jax

Jax New Member

I havn't been yet but i am going over later this year for 5-6months to train, I didn't state it was true i asked a question, didn't mean to upset you :) It's just i heard this is why fma's have such destructive moves.

14. Jax

Jax New Member

in reply to the original question, i think the lock drills in fma's could be very usefull. If your trying to apply a lock and they are resisting you would know where to put him to take him into a different lock. also weapon disarms and if you do dumog grappling also.

15. krys

krys Valued Member

Yes there are shabu factories in Manila, but the stuff doesn't need to be brought to Mindanao...

Drugs are also entering the country from Malaysia through the southern door.....
    Actually the chemicals used to produce it locally too, one former friend of Erap, a well known tsinoy businesman of Jolo is said to be involved....

Shabu is running wild in Davao and very easy to find.... There are drug lords in Davao, and they are protected by politicians..... if you go there ask who lives in the "White House", it isn't the american president :)

16. krys

krys Valued Member

They became independant in 1946 : really? Like through the U.S.-RP Treaty of General Relations Property Act (1946), the Bell Trade Act (1946), the Parity Amendment (1947),
    the Laurel-Langley Agreement (1954)? ...... and now AGILE?

there is less law since 1946? one should look for the real reasons..... it's certainly not because of the so called departure of the american's

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  17. krys

krys Valued Member

"Seems" to the unfamiliar eye..... WC works well for me....My sifu won every full contact championships he was in, with other players involved (kf, tkd, muay thai...)....given that quite a few went straight to hospital I'd say your hypothesis is not well founded.

18. Plywood

Plywood New Member

The Philippines became an independent nation on July 4, 1946. With regard to those Philippine/US Acts and Agreements you mentioned, yes they were onerous and indicated the one-sided relationship between the world's predominant super power (even then) and a former colony still on her knees after four years of war and occupation. Perhaps you can spout left-wing development study catchphrases and say that the Philippines was a neo-colony, but she certainly wasn't a colony anymore. There have been many surveys lately that indicate a good many Filipinos still wish that they were an American colony, or better yet a state.

The second comment was meant in jest. Unfortunately there is no "tongue-in-cheek" smile icon I could find. Malheureusement mon ami, I wasn't more obvious. The Philippines actually has voluminous textbooks full of laws on the most miniscule of topics, the problem lies in not having the resources to enforce them.

19. Plywood

Plywood New Member

Great! I am a Chinese martial arts stylist myself, even tried my hands at wing chun. Can you give me the name of those championships? Was it a high level tournament or a glorified toughman contest? I'd love to get references to help me in my debates against friends who do nothing but worship at the altar of Rickson Gracie, Kazushi Sakuraba, etc and put down the traditional arts. Unfortunately, the only references I get about wing chun vs muay thai has all of the wing chun fighters getting ko'd in the first round. And the only times I've seen it in mixed martial arts competition, Igor Zinoviev picked up Steve Faulkner, slammed him then choked him out in about 20 seconds and Dave Beneteau ground and pound another wing chun fighter to a tko win.

20. krys

krys Valued Member

This isn't just left wing rethoric but fits very well to the picture:
    Neocolonialism comprises the exercise of influence over another less-developed nations, areas or sectors by economic, language, cultural and political means rather than by the traditional colonialist methods of military-political take-over and direct control.

And it's far from being over..... USAID has now advisers in nearly every important governmental office through the AGILE program...

Surveys can be used to say anything..... and fortunately these peoples are only a minority, but yes there is also the (USA) Statehood Party of the Philippines who wishes that the Philippines becomes a state of the United States of America...

This perhaps illustrates why the Philippines, from being a frontrunner in the 50's went behind Thailand and indonesia in it's move forward... lack of nationhood.

I would rather say some powerfull groups don't see any points in having those law enforced.... then you have rampant corruption, cronyism....