A Bit Of Balance In Something Else

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hyper_Shadow, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Hyper_Shadow

Hyper_Shadow Valued Member

Hi guys and gals,

I'm just wondering if any of you folks have major passions that you did either before martial arts or discovered after martial arts and whether they have had an influence.

My example is that I train in okinawan tode jutsu, have done for around 10 years now. I've recently gotten into parkour. A method of movement that enables a person to more fully realise bodily potential in navigating obstacles (or at least that's one way of looking at it, it's as split and divided as martial arts now lol).

For me it is a calming influence on what I regard as a brutal use of my body. Martial arts have only one true purpose to me. Strip away all the fat and you're left with something used to do damage to someone else. Parkour to me represents a freedom and an opportunity. A freedom of self in where I can put myself and a an opportunity to fight an unbeatable opponent: my environment.

Anyone else have anything else then that in some way influences their life to make them a more rounded person?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good thread. I'm sure you'll get many answers. Probably as many variations as there are posters on MAP. For me... it'd be art... which these days breaks down into the following order...

film making-acting-writing for film

sketching-illustration

photography

The actual mediums come and go from time to time... but the creative process is always the constant. Without it I'd be bored stiff. FWIW I was just skimming through the film JUMP London - about Parkour as I was responding to this thread.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. Hyper_Shadow

Nice reply, thanks.

Jump London is pretty good, but if you want an informative vid look on the net for a vid called Parkour Pilgrimage. A completely fan made documentary.

Something a film maker would appreciate :)

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

reading, anything involving thinking, a bit of drawing, mostly

oh, and video games :p

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Guitar which I played to get the money for mats for my first club but now mainly to wind down after training.

And drawing.

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

The guitar mostly, but will also be playing rugby again soon

7. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

I draw a bit, nothing at all good, but as long as no one sees it no one complains.

Mostly I have a serious interest in History, and spend a lot of time reading, watching, or listening to presentations on different places and their history.
    Egypt and the Mediterranean areas are my favorite at the moment.

I spend a little bit of time repairing bikes, used to do a bit of photography...

8. Seviko

Seviko Enlightened

Chess and Poker

9. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I used to write but got tired of sucking when it came to dialogue and linking scenes :p If I'm not doing martial arts though I'm likely video gaming.

10. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Reading and XBOX mainly. Though I'd kinda like a more active hobby as well cos I can't run much now, and the gym bores me to tears these days.

This thread has actually inspired me to sort the bike out and get cycling again!

11. Hyper_Shadow

A bit of inspiration! Awesome!

I love a good bike ride. Did a killer ride on my missus' brothers street racer the other day. Never doing that again, most uncomfortable things ever! I don't know how them tour de france guys do it. They probably have the equivalent of martial artists calluses on their backsides.

Well impressed with the response I've had so far :) Thanks folks.

12. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Oops forgot.

Writing.

Have written three books. Two on the martial art of aikido and one on the kenshi master swordsmen of japan.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Video games, well Halo really. Soon to be lifting and maybe sailing as the boat is just sitting there and sex. Sorry but I love it. More than a hobby really. Used to be nightclubbin' in a big way but I'm too old now :((

14. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

Lots of reading and ps3 mainly cause i work away alot

15. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Heh, I have the same interests. Although less of film making and photography now a days. (like 10yrs now)

16. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Video gaming and thinking.

Thinking because I just realize recently that I rarely sit with myself and just think.

I used to play video games for unhealthy periods of time, but ever since college classes started becoming more difficult, I realized that I haven't touched my gaming systems in weeks.

Writing is something I like, but the motivation I get is usually when I'm depressed or reapproaching myself on things I did that I don't like.

I used to enjoying smoking at night, but after some adverse health effects, I cut cigs almost-cold turkey.

I need a new hobby, something active and mentally engaging at the same time, but I'll probably pick up running again soon.

17. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Can't beat a good book.

Well, technically you can but there's no point in battering a book unless you have no other way to express yourself what is wrong with you.

Currently reading the Hyperion series which is as confusing as it is brilliant. If you like or even tolerate sci-fi you should pick this up.