_ing __un vs. _ing __un full contact

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by cloudz, Jun 12, 2009.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

thoughts?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfLq__054Qk"]YouTube - Wing Chun- Full Contact[/ame]

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Some training like that is useful - as in, stand there and take it, and I use a variety of training ideas based on that principle. For example, my youngest son is 13, strong and wiry, and I do a very violent type of push hands with him - he's violent, not me - where he slaps me every opportunity he can. If you cover up, and get someone to slap you, that's a good psychological conditioner - because you can't toughen your brain - so taking multiple hits to the head isn't a great idea; but you can artificially induce a similar psychological effect with slaps that cause less brain damage by far, but still feel like a massive head attack.

So wouldn't dismiss what we're seeing here per se. However, my question would be, is getting in there and trading and taking multiple bare knuckle punches a preferred fight strategy? Or is it something that you must train for, but in practice avoid with better footwork where possible?

I'd rather not be chain punched fifty times in the face bare knuckle. And that immediately means I need to keep more distance - and that immediately means my preferred, standard punch won't be a square body chain punch - it'll be a long jab.

So, as training, yeah, why not and plenty of reasons for - but as a preferred fight strategy, not for me, thanks. I value being smart.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

1: It's staged in places. Especially the bit with the Thai knees from plumb.
    2: In the first 5-10 seconds they look like that fighting robots game in Toy Story. I half expected one of their heads to come off. :)

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yea.. I'm not sure what to make of it.. as in I think we're seeing them going close in to trade. That seems to me to be their styles strategy - being in close and getting your punching through.

Of course this puts you in the firing line too, so it becomes a matter of who does that better and be damned with other strategic considerations.. clearly we're not seeing a great deal of technical poise, but then there's also something to be said about getting in there all fast and furious, so to speak.

5. DragonPrawn

DragonPrawn Valued Member

Their not Tai knees per say the knees in Wing Chun are very Similar. Personally I think there was too much chain punching going on.

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Now you're just talking madness. Never diss the chain.... cos it never ends. Not ever...

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

could be me... I just don't see the point in rushing into the fray. Why not work the distance and pick off the opponent from the outside.

It seems like a case of form over function. As in... 'oh Im a chunner therefore I must chain punch at close distance'

I wonder why one would step off the line and look for the angle instead the head to head clash?

Curious to see the chunners take on this.

Shoots and defending them need a truckload of work. But maybe that's not their strong point? I dunno... can't say I'm overly impressed to be honest. But it is sure a whole lot better than the vast majority of the slappy hands stuff out there. Yes it's still pretty slappy... I mean really... anyone rushing in like that on other styles practitioners... they'd be on the KO end of a solid straight right or something similar.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Because, Slip, fighting from the outside is contradictory to Wing Chun theory and principles.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It looks to me as if it's a war of will and hope that one of those punches doesn't do any damage. Russian Roulette with fists. A bit of timing wouldn't go amiss rather than, as Slip stated, form over function. It's a lottery.

10. wa1ker

wa1ker Valued Member

In the first spar Im not even sure if any of the chain punches get through, its hard to see, they are punching against each others arms in time perhaps?

I dont see the point in throwing a large number of punches that arent hitting the target as a strategy...

Chain punching is a drill, and a concept, but a strategy of engagement?
    I think they have beginers understanding of wing chun?

The expression fools rush in comes to mind...

11. DragonPrawn

DragonPrawn Valued Member

Actually you'd be surprised how many Wing Chun schools teach to go to the outside.

In the clip you see one of them get caught in a rut with the chain punching.

I agree with Wa1ker basics.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  12. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

There isn't one.

I agree. To me it's a beginners' drill with one application.

LOL, they're without a doubt Leung Ting's people... so maybe you're right. LT's folk are the only ones I've come across with such a tedious slavish devotion to the chain punch over and above any kind of actual strategy, timing etc...

13. wa1ker

wa1ker Valued Member

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw it, but I didnt like to say it in case it was an over-generalisation...but now you said it have to say I totally agree.

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It looks like most full contact sparring in Wing Chun. They don't show any basic boxing or defense skills. They don't show any good grappling or ground skills, yet they insist on doing full range fighting. What's the point of getting chain punched in the head 80 times while being held down in a mount when you can't even do a simple buck and roll? These guys aren't ready for what they are trying to do. At the least they should just stick to boxing without the clinch work and the ground stuff so they can show what they know.

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Apart from a total lack of power, head movement and lateral movement is was pretty bad.

16. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Wow. That looked like fun! Except for the head gear. They might be a lot less willing to take punches to the head with that head gear off.

Some good points:
    They were at least able to throw each other!
    One of the kicks at least knocked the other dude down!

17. MPhelan

MPhelan Valued Member

Bwahaha. hahaha. Hahahahaha.

All of the rounds ended in GnP. Classic Wing Chun lol.

18. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

And the sky is blue.

19. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Those throws were scrub moves. They only work on scrubs. I mean come on, in the first one, dude has the other dude in a headlock, and he's the one that got thrown. The other one was just a plum clinch and he slung him down. That's not going to work on anyone who is seasoned.

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

uh oh... someone is becoming _ing _hun sensitive. :p