7th Kyu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by K_Coffin, Oct 6, 2004.

1. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Hey guys/girls,

Just figured I'd let you know that I've made my 7th Kyu, as of tonight. Finally, out of the white belt. It's cool to have it now, since I've been feeling that level of confidence and comfort with my body for a bit now.

Also, I've got to admit that I'm a little embarassed that I had no idea where to post this on the forums, despite my time spent here. Either way, Ninjutsu is definitely my "home" here, and you guys/girls are the ones who will understand the rank the most.

2. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

much congrats :) :)

3. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

While I do not understand the ranking system of Ninjutsu any accomplishment or achievement of rank warrants CONGRADULATIONS....

4. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Nice one, keep going!!

5. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Many conrats K!
    Gambatte!

6. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Congratulations! I don't do ninjitsu, but from what I have learned on here it wasn't an easy thing to go up a grade. You'll have to come to GNAMM/GNARF next summer and show us some stuff. You are only a few hours away!

7. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Sounds good Mrs Owt, I'll definitely try to make it out there.

Thanks for the kind words guys/girls......good stuff.

8. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Nice work, eh?

9. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Gambatte buyu!

10. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Thanks guys - Omicron - I'll be out your way soon, eh? I'm moving out to Vancouver, and I can't remember if I've told you this already.

11. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

Hey, well done and congratulations are definitely in order.

However, there seems to be a total inconsistency within the whole Bujinkan grading structure.
    For instance at our group, the ranking structure is as follows :-

Mukyu - White Belt, Black Gi
    10th Kyu - Red Belt (Girls) Green Belt (Guys)
    9th Kyu - as above plus Kyu Grade Bujinkan Patch
    8th Kyu - as above plus 1 White Star
    7th Kyu - 2 White Stars
    6th Kyu - 3 White Stars
    5th Kyu - 4 White Stars
    4th Kyu - 1 Yellow Star (White Stars removed)
    3rd Kyu - 2 Yellow Stars
    2nd Kyu - 3 Yellow Stars
    1st Kyu - 4 Yellow Stars

I'm only bringing this up because 7th Kyu to me sounds awfully advanced to be just losing your white belt. Also I have seen girls at seminars and on some websites wearing green belts. My shidoshi also said that a brown-belt grade was also in the syllabus once upon a time.
    I'm just wondering if everyone else is following the same grading structure as me or are we all doing something different from each other?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  12. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Every dojo has its own for the most part. There are several multiple dojo encompassing organizations like the International Bujinkan Dojo Association which have standard grading.

13. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Mine is the same as Peaceful Tiger's, except we don't have the mukyu grade.

What exactly is mukyu? How long until you reach 10th kyu?

14. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Mu-kyu means no grade, I believe. That is why I am currently mu-kyu.

15. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

Yes, that's correct, mukyu does mean 'no grade'.
    In our groups syllabus, grades go up in rate of class attendance. To progress from mukyu to 10th Kyu you must have done at least 28 lessons. Then you get graded on how well you know the different stances and strikes. I loved doing natural-fist (shizen-ken) best when I graded because you get to shout the roof off the building :D

Another 28 lessons and you're deemed ready for 9th Kyu. In this grading you have to prove proficiency in rolling and breakfalls.

You will grade after every 28 lessons up until 3rd Kyu (which reminds me, I still need to pay my 3,000 yen :D) To progress from 3rd to 2nd then from 2nd to 1st and eventually to your Shodan testing, you will have to have completed 46 lessons for each grade.

So, you see, it is obviously quicker for someone who trains five nights a week to progress up the ranks than for someone who only trains once a week.

I should imagine every other class has a different grading structure and I'd be very interested to see what you guys do.

16. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

We generally just go by skill.

Once you get to a point where you can competently perform many techniques and aspects of Taijutsu and can pull some of the basic stuff, such as Kihon Happo, off the top of your head. When you're ready, you're given the next grade.

17. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

My dojo works in a similar way. We go by "feel". If my sensei feels that you are internalizing the right amount and combination of techniques and ideas, you are given the appropriate grade. It works for me, since I can personally guarantee that everyone in my dojo represents their grade perfectly.

I have another further question - Does anyone here pay testing fees for Bujinkan grades? I definitely don't, and I've been led to believe that our organization doesn't do that.

18. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Nope, never paid a testing fee. My old dojo goes by the "when the instructor feels you have obtained proficiency in techniques/concepts/ideas then you are promoted" concept of testing. You never know you are being tested. You still have your Bujinkan dues to pay and whatever Hatsumi charges for the paper certificate, but, when I was promoted to Shodan, my teachers paid for it. I paid for my shidodhi-ho paperwork and certificate and shidoshikai membership, and my teacher is sponsoring me.

19. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Yep. Sounds exactly like what we've got going on at my dojo. My promotion was a complete surprise to me, although I know now that I am at that level of comfort with the art.