26 Styles???

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by tel, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Gary.....Make sure you give me a heads up when you are coming! :)

Oh, John works for me out of class...Unless I'm teaching... ;)

Take "IT" Easy,
    John McNabney
    Purple Dragon Studio

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

sir,
    will definately do that, i'll need a place to sleep :D

3. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Well lets see, I do have a wooden fence that needs sanding and painting... :D

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i'm not against trading off work for instruction.... MR. Miogi :D

5. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Hmmmmmm! :D

6. Rmatic09

Rmatic09 New Member

It is my understanding that while trapping is not the most efficient, it's taught as a method towards totality.

If your fighting someone really quick, chances are you wont be able to trap them. Instead of focusing on training that attribute, work harder to make yourself quicker so there is no need to trap perhaps.

I enjoy trapping, and do practice it, that's just my take on it.

7. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

so your so quick that you don't need to trap?

8. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

well, quickness is something that can be acquired successfully if you put in the time for it. IF you had an hour to choose something work on, between punching quickness and trapping, which one would you choose?

9. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

LS......it depends what on group your from, because they might not TRAP? :bang:

10. mrmonday

mrmonday New Member

I would choose trapping. This is because most people "on the street" (I hate saying that, but there) won't be super fast martial artists that cannot be trapped. Trapping allows you to take control of a situation and end it quickly rather than engage in a long battle.

11. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i would have someone throw sticks at me, a stick moves a hell of lot faster than the hand so it would/does speed up your reactions, that is if you only had a hr to train

12. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Valued Member

WOW! Lets bring it back to the 26 styles guys.
    Check out John Little's/Bruce Lee's book,
    The Tao of Gung Fu.
    page 186-187.
    It shows the forms, styles and books Bruce read up on,
    back then Bruce wanted to create a superior gung fu system.
    This research was the origin of the 26 styles, Bruce later abandoned this idea for a more stream lined system based on wing chun, western fencing and boxing.

13. Emil

Emil Valued Member

To say that JKD is founded upon 26 styles is a fallacy. It is not. It is based upon Western Boxing, Wing Chun, and Fencing. 80% of JKD is this. However, the other 20% is based upon the research conducted by Bruce into Praying Mantis, Choy Li Fut, Tai Chi Chaun, Paqua, Hsing-I, Bak-Hoo Pai, Bak-Fu Pai, Eagle Claw, Ng Ga Kuen, Bak Mei Pai, Northern Shaolin, Southern Shaolin, Bok Pai, Law Horn Kuen, Chin Na, Monkey Style, Druken Style, Western Wrestling, Muay Thai, Silat, Kali, JuiJutsu, and Savate. However, these are styles that Bruce merely looked at. He was very interested in Judo and Juijutsu, but died before he could do more with it, and he was interested in Kali, Silat, etc, but he left that more to Dan to explore.

Many people seem to have this idea that Bruce studied all these arts. He did not. He read about them from books in his vast library, and applied some of the concepts to his JKD. To say he studied them though is to say that I study Aikido because I read "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere". It is simly not the case, however, as a martial artist, I do take something from a book that i have read about martial arts.

14. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

Akasha. i would say its based on more than just, boxing,wing chun and boxing.
    in the tao, in his notes he says i have yet to add the gung fu styles,im not saying that there where 26, but they where def part of the base along with the boxing,wing chun and boxing

15. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I don't read it that way. Whilst certain priciples and concepts are taken from the other arts, boxing, fencing and wing chun are definitely the basis. The core of JKD is the straight lead. This combines boxing (punching), fencing (footwork), and wing chun (centerline). The blast is a wholly wing chun concept, obviously altered to go with the rest of Bruce's stuff. Fencing is the whole basis for JKD's footwork, Jack Dempsey was a massive influence on Bruce's training, and his wing chun training also played a major role. Whilst these other arts are present, they are not the base. They are not 'core' arts.

Edit. In any case, it's good to have you back on the forums Tel.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  16. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

lol. cheers.
    if you look at the kicking,its gung fu,the way it is delivered comes from chinese arts. if you look at the punching,the leg goes first,then the hip,then the torso, then then the arm, in gung fu its called the six stage punch.
    he also used to go with the hand first then the body.
    i agree with what you say about the tools.ie boxing punches, but when lee did it he had is hand vertical like a gung fu punch,but is was thrown like a boxer.only some of the footwork was from fencing and same with the principles, but again his training in gung fu was a major part of his core art. its written down in the tao and in john little book.

17. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

i'm pretty sure the kicking style of Jeet Kune Do, comes from two sources mainly, at least in the beginning. Bruce used the taekwondo idea from Jhoon Rhee about putting the body into the kick and snapping it in and out but he used the chinese way of not chambering with the kick, i'm pretty sure Dan Inosanto said this though I am unsure of the precise source.

also isn't the 'stop-hit' in the core of jkd? from fencing???