2010 AAU Karate National Championships

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Tom O'Brien, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

This year it is being held in Albany, NY from 6/28 through 7/3. This is a good old traditional martial arts competition open to all Japanese styles. You must qualify, in the top 6, at a state or district championship in order to compete in this event. If you are in the area check it out. Some of the best amateurs in the country will be competing. Now, all I have to do is stay injury free for one more week so I can get in the 'old geezer's' division.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

OK, since this thred is all about me & my big inflated ego & head, I took silver in all 3 divisions - kobudo, kata & kumite. Of course it was in the geriatric division. I just could not buy a gold medal. I did get to KO one guy with a chudan, gyaku zuki. I hit him in the solar plexus & he went down. In the fight for 1st I was confident. I watched my opponent throw gyaku zuki after gyaku zuki. I was determined not to let him hit me with gyaku zuki. He didn't. I got kicked in the face with jodan, mawashi geri, punched in the face with jodan, oi zuki & kicked in the back with chudan, mawashi geri.
    My yellow belt, rokyu, took silver in kumite also.
    Not exactly UFC material but let's see where you guys are when you are 61.
    Ouch! Oh wow! I just this minute noticed that my hand hurts. Hmm, key boards bring out the worst in me, in more ways than one.

Thanks,
    Tom

3. Last Empire

Last Empire Valued Member

Sounds like a good day