2 handed blocking cycles

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by johnson, Jun 18, 2003.

1. johnson

johnson Valued Member

Hi there,
    I wondered if anybody practices a system that incorperates 2 handed circular blocks - I have noted a weakness in my own defense in the following areas:
    -a good tight strong hook that rides up and over the blocking arm: I can only stop it with 2 arms
    -combinations that exploit the gap created by a block to clobber you - I can relieve this a little bit by bouncing off the block into a flurry
    -reading punches. I am not sure how clear this comes across but basically straight and curved blows. If you block a curved blow and it turns out to be a straight then your screwed; if you block a straight and its a curved your screwed. Now I know that there is no magic formula and its down to training but I wondered what do other folk do when looking for tells.

kind regards

2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Two handed blocks are good, more likely to stop it, enough said.

But blocking the hook, not many systems teach it because they just don't use the punch! Keep the blocking arm to the side and high, taking the attackers arm on your elbow if possible ;)

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

"-a good tight strong hook that rides up and over the blocking arm: I can only stop it with 2 arms"

Hooks can be countered in a number of ways. as PGM said keep your blocking hand high and tight with your forearm/upper arm protecting your chin and upper body. You dont really want to take a full hook on the arm as it may upset your balance. When blocking the hook put a larger emphasis on avoiding it by leaning towards yours opponent and coming inside the strike and follow up with an uppercut or hook of your own.

Alternatively we trian to intercept the hook and strike almost simultaniously.