2 Ecrima Sticks

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by TheMasterSword, Mar 31, 2005.

1. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

Ok I know nothing about Filipino Martial Arts...

All I wanna know is how to do that spinning, criss cross that they do with the 2 escrima sticks (kinda looks like they're making an "X" in front of their bodies)... that's it.. dont care if it's not practical... can't go to a school/seminar (none around)..

can anyone give me tips, recommend a good book/dvd

sorry if I offended any devout Ecrima/Kali/Silat students

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

No offence taken, it not only looks cool, but it is very practical too.

Let me try to explain how to do it.

Chamber your right hand over your left, with the left weapon chambered under the right arm, Now.

1. slash across the body with the right hand and chamber above the left shoulder.
    2. Back hand slash across the body with the left hand and hold out to the left side.
    3. Snap the right hand out as if to hit the side of the head and return back under the left arm.

Now repeat this in reverse starting with the slash across the body with the left hand, until you are back where you started.

Now practice, practice, practice. after a while you will be come more natural with it.

Best of luck

Pat

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

If you just want to learn the movements and aren't interested in application, you could pick it up at any poi ball class. Its a common movement in Polynesion(sp?) dance.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

siniwali heaven.

5. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I love seeing siniwali in movies, it's like the fight choreographer just walked onscreen and said "HI! I DO FMA!"

6. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

I liked the guy on underworld" with the 2 bullwhips. i want 2 bull whips, then i can be hardcore too!

7. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

This move sounds cool - any pictures around?

8. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

9. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

Thanks Pat O'!!!!!

I never realized there was that snap to the head and return... just been studying movies and others trying to get it down...

I'll try it out....only wish I had a school around me instead of having to resort to posts/movies to learn some moves

Yea medi I've seen some of those dog brothers clips and OUCH!!!!!! definitely wouldnt want a split kneecap from one of those sticks

10. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Try this, Sinawali against a partner, remove the partner and you have the basic technique.

http://www.cambridgemartialarts.freeserve.co.uk/anim3k.htm

A solo drill

http://www.geocities.com/kalipages/sinawalli.gif

Also try the figure of 8 ways. Try 1 stick first in each hand to get the motion, when we say figure of 8 it is in fact the infinity symbol which does not appear on my keyboard, it is an 8 on its side if you like, try to do them both together so one hand crosses on top going in then on the bottom going out, start figure 8 downwards then try figure of 8 upwards, maybe Pat or one of the other experts could explain it better.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  11. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

After seeing LabanB demonstrate this yesterday, the write-up is excellent (cheers Pat). It was just general lack of knowledge of the 'chambered' positions that had me lost :confused:

(Having read the write-up - I picked the move up quicker than my classmates, as I was combining visual instruction with written learning ;))

Now that I have the moves in my brain, I shall endevour to put them into my arms instead. I look forward to the point where they flow the way it is shown in that video.

12. Pat OMalley

Thats the baby:D it the one they use in all the movies. manytimes in the wrong context I may add.

Trust Shooto to spot that one;)

Best regards

Pat

13. Pat OMalley

Glad I could help, but stive to make it better than on the video, I have not seen the video by the way.

best regards

Pat

14. Pat OMalley

Ah the movies I am affraid just do the twirling version, looks good, but is lacking in practicality. But as they say, it looks good. There are numerous versions of this, I also do an 8 and a 10 count version of this, as well as all the usual 6 count variations and of course the reverse 6 count.

Glad to be of help.

Best regards

Pat

15. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I know this has nothing to do with the subject at hand,
    but I have to admit...bull whips are the koolest!
    BUT.....
    I took one across the face once...................ONCE!
    It was the single most painful thing I have EVER expierienced in my entire life!!!!!
    If you can learn to use one (or 2) just remember one thing......
    I DO have a gun!

:woo:

16. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

step up indiana jones :)

17. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

sounds like double sinawali... ;)

one of my favourites!

18. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

this sounds suspiciously like redondo to me. :)

One of the parts of this technique we are taught, is that after the first hand strike you should umbrella the head with hand one as strike 2 is hitting the target, then you strike again with the first hand.

Does this make sense?

Otherwise it is very easy to go really fast but do the movements incorrectly.

19. shootodog

i guess this is because in the movies, the guys don't want to hit anyone. they pull the strikes back it looks like. something i don't think you'll catch pat or lucy doing i fear.

20. shootodog

sounds like ocho ocho to me. [to the pinoys]do not start singing and dancing that dang song! awa ng Diyos (God have mercy)[/to the pinoys]