1st JJ Lesson

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Telsun, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Okay so it's not actually my first but.........

The style of Jujitsu is "Kano JJ", but was previously Yoshin ryu (or something like that). Apparently they are similar anyway. A couple of weapons are also taught. I am aware of knifes, escrima and jo, but I think that there are others.
    The instructor has been practicing for 25 years (5th dan). His sensei was John Cooper (I think). There were previously links with Martin Clarke who is very well respected in this area (sombo, judo, JJ). But they had some sort of fall out, I didn't ask.
    I don't recall the association that they are with, I can remember English mentioned:rolleyes:

Anyway the lesson was superb. Extremely hard warm up. I feel great............

Can anybody give me some more info on the style, people, info sources, etc on the above mentioned please.

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Kano Jiu Jitsu? AKA Kodokan Judo! Not much else I can tell you than that off the top of my head. If it's fun and you learn something it must be good. Let us know how you progress.

3. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Well I have had a little look myself and from what I can fathom Dr. Kano developed Judo from his style of Jujitsu.
    Yoshin ryu whilst a style in its own right seems to be more famous for the fact that Sensei Ohtsaka of Wado-ryu practiced this style of jujitsu.

I would like to know more about the style. For example how does it differ from BJJ? My JJ knowledge is very poor and if anybody can point me in the direction of good websites, books, videos, etc I would be most appreciative.

4. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Anybody?

5. Jim

Jim New Member

6. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Thank you Jim. I am extremely grateful to you for taking the time to post the link. However I just cannot associate Judo with what is taught at the club.
    I guess I will learn more as I go and I'll just keep on browsing the web. Thanks again.

7. Jim

Jim New Member

Try also the guys at www.budoseek.net to see if they have any more info for you. Good luck.