1 year to black belt

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aegis, Jan 14, 2004.

?

Good quality black belt in a year?

1. Yes, by training intensely every day

60 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes, training a few hours a week

98 vote(s)
    40.8%
  3. No, would be a McDojo....

75 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Undecided

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

True, true...

2. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

i reckon it is possible to get a BB in a year if you train intensely every day. Didn't Mas Oyama get to 2nd dan in 2 years or something? I'm sure no one will argue against the quality of his karate.

3. DavidSJ

DavidSJ New Member

In WTF tae kwon do after 1st dan you have time-in-rank as well as age requirements set by the Kukkiwon to progress any further.

4. Master Maldonad

Master Maldonad New Member

Black Belt in one year

I lived in Korea for 5 years (I arrived as a 1st Degree ITF). But my point is yes it can be done. Acctually the Koreans make 1st Dan in one year. They train everyday and for 3 to 4 hours a day as well. I trained in Seoul at the Chon Young Che Yuk Kwan (Blue Dragon Gym) Under Master Kim. I trained for 2 1/2 years and attained my 2nd Degree WTF, I tested at Kukkiwon along with other fellow students I was the only American or non Korean there. My KKW I.D. says my nationality is "The Rebublic of Korea" funny Im not Korean. The time limits of attaining a Black Belt were added for commercial purposes only. My 2cents

5. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Voted no

For my part of the world .. ie the western we all have jobs or school so it should be a mcDojo.

6. Haha...

No you can't get a decent blackbelt in one year.
    You can't even get a decent blackbelt in 3 and 4 years.

A blackbelt represents maturity in the art. I know blackbelts who've been in the game for 30 years or more. I don't entirely agree that they became mature in the art within 3/4 years.

So everyone who wants to complain about how bad it is that people can get a blackbelt in one year... There's really very little difference between 1 and 3 in the scale of it all.

And besides, a blackbelt is just another colour. The value of it is your knowledge and skill level coming from endless hours of training and studying.

7. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

depends on what kind of black belt we're talking about here...i've been training a guy for about 5-6 months who could take a lot of the black belts i've met, but that's partly because a lot of black belts suck. if he can beat most black belts around his size though, i suppose that makes him black belt material.

8. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx Having fun

I'm in class training 9 to 11 hours a week. Barring downtime with injurys I should make black belt in 3 years. Then I'll be ready to begin really learning something.

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'd pretty much agree with you, other than the people that do the intense one year training ie 5 days a week. In which case they can clock up as many hours that other people will take several years to do.

10. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

But it's not about hours is it?

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Its all about the hours ;)

12. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

it's about the hours and the training quality. what else would it be about?

13. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i think it's also about the journey.
    learning all the moves can be done, but it doesn't mean you understand them!
    i also think that there's only so much your brain can take in. if you take your time to learn things, they sink in. whereas if you leanr fast, things aren't likely to be ingrained in your brain!
    your martial art should be IN you as a natural thing. you should have muscle memory of EVERY move.
    how can you learn everythin in one year?
    i don't care if you train 24/7 you still won't be the same as someone who'se trained four years say even once a week.

14. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I feel proud of this thread, it reappears every now and then and makes me grin :D

15. As we do. :) Me and my friend train 5 days a week. Usually 3 hours. We're both miles above people of similiar belts, but it doesn't mean anything. We're just dedicated colourbelts. We both realize that most of the Koreans our age doing TKD would annihilate us because of how much more intensely they train. And if they haven't got their blackbelt, I don't know how we can anytime soon.

We're talking about the space of one year here? - Cav, please tell me that with your years of Martial Experience you don't honestly believe that? If you do anything for a substantial amount of time, day in, day out you'll accomplish more in a year than your average hobbyist will in 10.

16. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

The reason why many dissagree with that is because there's some time needed to digest and process all that information, as well as give the body some rest.

Unless the thought process is sped up by the same amount of time that the training is concentrated, it won't be a direct transfer as in "twice the training time equals progressing twice as fast".

Also, you can't concentrate rest periods; just because you want to train 7 days a week 6 hours+ per day do not mean you'll be able to. You body will require a set minimum of time to recover.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  17. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

obviously there's a curve, so you won't learn exactly twice as much if you practice twice as long...however, you will learn a lot more. it makes perfect sense...who's going to be better, the guy who practices his jab 15 minutes a day 7 days a week, or the guy who practices his jab 15 minutes 2 times a week? it's not a matter of processing information in that case, it's a matter of muscle memory. in general, more is better when it comes to practicing anything.

18. xen

xen insanity by design

depends on the art and person, but generally, no.

its not just about hours, its about time.

you can put 100 hrs a week into training for three years, but it will still be just three years.

as said above, a large part of it is about maturity, but it is also about depth of experience and that comes of its own accord, as time passes by.

19. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Yeah, it's definitely possible. It happens in Judo a lot.

But, Judo has two types of blackbelts: recreation and competitive. For instance, I got my blackbelt in a year, a year and a half including Sambo. I competed just about every month, sometimes a few times a month, from when I started and I got good enough where keeping me as a colored belt was sandbagging.

Basically here are the differences between a competition black and a recreational black:

Competition: Good at maybe 5 or 6 usually common techniques that can be offensively applied with repeated success. Familiarity with 20 or so additional techniques that are able to be defended or countered. For instance, my favorite techniques are: from standing: Osoto-gari, uchi-mata, single leg, double leg, and the flying armbar. On the ground I have around seven, including: armbar from guard, triangle from guard (especially triangle sweep to mount), cross collar gi choke from guard, straight armbar from mount, ude garami (Americana/keylock), mounted collar gi choke, and a rear-mount gi choke. I am accomplished in each of this techniques, their execution, and maneuvers, but I am not similarly skilled in other techniques. For instance, you won't see me using most hip tosses in competition, and certainly no sacrifice throws.

A recreational Judo blackbelt will probably study much longer, upwards of four years in many cases, and will have a breadth of knowledge someone like myself lacks. They probably compete occasionally, but dont really do the training needed to truly excel at competition Judo, but they are also more likely to know a different throw or grip for every situation. Conversely, they're probably nowhere near the level of skill in actual competition at any technique that a blackbelt like myself will have. Everytime I train o-soto gari it's with the intention that I'm probably going to use it a dozen times at the next competition, I train it against more resistance, and I train it longer.

This brings up another point: the difference in training style. When you train for competition, your training is more focused on making you the best judoka competitor you can be. You train harder and you train a lot more time. In terms of application, my one hour of training for competition can be equated, roughly, to two or three hours of non-competition training. I'm getting more mileage everytime I step on the mat than the less driven people.

This brings up the issue of teaching. Some people here would say that people like my shouldn't be teaching, but it's really a matter of whom I would be teaching. For instance, for a beginners' class where the goal is to get students comfortable with Judo, I would not be as a good teacher as someone with a more generalized background. I can't show them every transition, every counter, and every pin because I don't use those often enough to be effective in conveying their value and context. It's very important that every Judoka begin learning from a generalist because everyone will find a Judo they are most comfortable with so they need to be exposed to many things before they can refine and narrow their game like I have. Conversely, if you wanted to attend a competition team class, I'd be perfect there. I've got a lot of current competition experience, I'm current on trends, and I'm harder to roll with. I can fine-tune a person's game very effectively. But in any competition class there should be several other people like me, each with different games, because the more people with distinct Judo you train with the better you become and the more defined your own style becomes.

For instance, when I was in Japan for a little while and was part of a group training for a tournament, I had a big impact on improving everyone's submission and submission defense skills. I am a far above first dan level submission person, so rolling with me forced the other people to adapt their games to someone with an unspectacular standing game and a much better than Judo average ground game. Similarly, some of them were masters at certain throws I had had lots of trouble with and in the course of just four or five hours my standup defense had a lot of holes patched that really helped my game.

20. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

agreed

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2006