Grand Master In Hyuk Suh's Uniform - or - Grand Master Byung In Lee's Uniform

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Jul 27, 2010.

?

Which Do You Like Best

1. Grand Master Suh's Uniform

27.0%
  2. Grand Master Lee's Uniform

73.0%
  1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Nice points. But not conclusive or warranting the flashy uniform.

Crowd pleaser, so it is a game and not the name?

If their are those new to the art, why havent they come to know the master. Surely their are other ways to distinguish whos who.

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

:topic: OFF-TOPIC :topic:

In my usual *nit-picking* fashion, and more because I'm a fan of Marvin the Martian, I feel I should mention that Looney Tunes/Warner deserves the credit instead of Disney, as it wasn't DONALD DUCK who uttered those words (This means war!), but rather DAFFY DUCK (as Duck Dodgers, in the 24½th Century).

Evidence below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "This makes me very angry, very angry indeed."​

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion. . . .

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

Actually the Looney Tunes guys ripped it off Groucho Marx in "Duck Soup"
    And I'll think you'll find Bugs Bunny said it more often than Daffy Duck

Groucho: http://www.dailywav.com/1108/thismeanswar3.wav
    Bugs: http://www.talkingwav.com/cartoon/bugs_02.wav

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Wow....I said Donald and not Daffy......

Well, time for a hundred knuckle push ups. I'll see you all in a bit....LOL

5. 47MartialMan

I had the uncanny ability to sound like Marvin. Then when SW came out with Yoda, I can sound like him also.

There voice pitches are sightly the same, but one has to reverse words in sentences and a tad deeper tone for Yoda

I even had a skit of those two battling it out.

It freaks out many people at parties.

6. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Are you sure that it's not just you? :evil:

7. 47MartialMan

I guess I have to freak out in order to freak out others. :hat:

8. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Anyway.....
    are there any hisotrial pictures of these uniforms? Anything out of a museum or something?

9. 47MartialMan

Like some type of ancient tapestry?

10. elephruit

elephruit Wocka wocka!

I prefer GM Lee's uniform, although my preferred style of dobok is the 9th dan general's dobok; i. e. black dobok with gold trim.

kuk_sool_jack

11. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  12. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I couldn't say one way or the other, Demdike, as I never heard of the guy or his MA system before now. :confused:

But what I really wanted to mention, was that while not necessarily someone who has an *over-the-top* uniform, the link below does provide info about a remarkable man who is definitely OTT. ;)

And here's a video link:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8twIHg6jaE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8twIHg6jaE[/ame]​

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  13. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

No offense Demdike, but that if completely incorrect. Shim Gum Do has NOTHING to do with Kuk Sool. It is completely a Zen (Seon) martial arts. He is a patriarch in Seung Sahn's lineage of Hanbulgyo. His martial art was developed out of his esoteric 100 day solo mountain retreat meditation at the direction of his teacher ZM Seung Sahn.

Shim Gum Do is a new lineage completely. I've mentioned it several times here on map in reference to being the source for Haidong Gumdo.

14. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

thanks for that OTL
    Opens up a whole new train of questions though - like does anyone really believe he could come up with 330 sword forms from scratch in 100 days, along with 150 other weapon forms and 3000 "self-defense techniques"?
    Heck of a lot for 100 days meditation. Makes the "official" theory of the origins of Kuk Sool almost look feasible by comparison.

15. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Response removed because I feel stupid even having to state it. Let's just say korean buddhist monk sword master...umm, right.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  16. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

really believable then?

17. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Maybe they were just short forms! ;)

18. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Eh.....just for clarification.

The HAE DONG KUMDO people used the BonKuk Geom Beop material as the foundation for their approach. After that, everything else was just marketing, including their cross-country whirlwind tour in the last 15 years, where a seminar was put on, people elevated to an authoritative position and a cell left to cultivate a following that would add to the membership rolls. In this way, HDGD is every bit a pandering to the romanticism of MA wannabees the way, say, KUK SOOL WON represents itself as an authentic Korean MA practice historically tied to Korean practices of the past. We are not talking about real martial traditions but rather practices that allow people to indulge their fantasies about how things "must have been in the days of yore".

Best Wishes,

Bruce

19. Out-to-Lunch

Bruce,
    Are we talking Haedong Kumdo or Haidong Gumdo here...Romanization is important WRT which group you are talking about. You've used them both in your above post. The original founders of HDGD were students of ZM Kim Chang Sik, self-admittedly.

20. Out-to-Lunch

Would the exaggeration be a new innovation in Korean Martial Arts? :confused:

Think of it more along the lines of the Kuk Sool 3608 techniques. Now go and count how many individual formalized techniques are in the syllabus from white belt to 5th dan. Then count how many of those are repeats of the same techniques over, and over, and over.