Muay Thai match with brilliant reverse spinning moves

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by slipthejab, Dec 30, 2005.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

QP-0003

Ok peeps... here's a brilliant fight!!!!! :eek:

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=32YBZAK9JEOVP0CK8XANBFT7S1

Somrak Khamsing V.S. Jowan.

Seeing as how we were just having a conversation in this thread:

http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44917

about reverse spinning techniques such as reverse spin kicks and spinning back fists and elbows I thought I'd dig up a recent example of some of these. You'll notice Somrak has an interesting fighting style. View the vid and see for yourself.

FWIW Somrak (also spelled as Somlak) is an Olympic Gold medalist in Boxing at the 1996 Olympic Games. :D

Info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somluck_Kamsing

Comments or critiques please.

Note: For those of you that have trouble playing this you can find the appropriate player here: http://www.divx.com/divx/play/

Note: Please don't leech. If you download it... please repost it for others to view as well. Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Thats a really interesting fight though I have to say I was kind of suprised to see Somrak catch Jowan's leg and throw an elbow into the thigh. I thought although its legal it was rarely used and was considered to be a rather dirty technique because it can do alot of damage to a fighter. Still regardless Somrak was really impressive does he always fight like that slip i.e. using reverse spinning techniques? Either way, it's a great example of how the variety of techniques that exist in Muay Thai. All in all very enjoyable! I'll upload when the link dies.

3. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

What ended the fight? The downward ellbow to the neck? I cant get the sound to work on the vid, so no clue what was going on commentary wise.

4. CKava

Sound isn't working on my laptop but the finishing blow looks to me to be an upwards elbow to the head but by that stage it was just the icing on the cake. I also have a feeling the commentary is going to be in Thai anyway.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah the commentary is in thai. that guy had some amazing reflexes although i would like to see him against someone who pushes the action a bit more, his opponent was very timid.

6. slipthejab

The commentation is in Thai... this was fought at the Royal Fairgrounds right after (before?) the Kings Cup fights. I doubt there will be an english version.

Ikken I would be interested to see Somrak go up against one of his Thai counterparts and see if his strategy remained the same. Jowan was somewhat timid in this fight... in fact he was gripped.

Ckava - yeah the elbow to the Thai isn't something seen too often. I am sure it'd be pretty damn painful. This is one of the few fights I can remember ever seeing it in.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

if you timed it right, gddamn it would be one hell of a dead leg.

watching it again his timidity saved him from walking into one of those reverse elbows a couple of times. a more aggressive opponent, that technique would have worked and he seemed to have the timing for it pretty good... just the other guy never obliged :D

8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

We train those quite a bit. for eg. a counter to a right mid height roundhouse
    - catch the leg with the left arm and control the head with the right
    - right knee to thigh
    - right downward elbow to the top of the thigh
    - right arm takes control of the leg and the left reverse elbow comes to the face

almost impossible to pull it all off in a real match but can give you some serious dead-leg if even part of it it connects.

9. CKava

We train it a bit too iamraisen but still thats the first fight I've seen it pulled off in.

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

the guy who was landing them in the first clip was just playing. he had a freaking smile on his face for the whole match.

11. CKava

Yeah but Thai's are nearly always smiling during fights. I seen a fight were a Thai was smiling despite being manhandled and he kept smiling right up to the point he got knocked out, its a pyschological thing...

Still I agree that hardly seemed like much of a challenge for him thats why I was interested to know if its his usual fighting style or if he was just feeling confident. It seems to me that because he seems to be using a lower boxing stance alot of the time he's in a better position than others to throw such techniques and make them work.

12. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

sweeet!!!!!!!! where can you get these films from

13. slipthejab

There are dozens and dozens of places on the web.

But the best thing to do is to NOT be a LEECHER and repost what you download... it keeps the generosity at all time highs and keeps the good viewage up. :D

14. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

ok, give us a clue, are they on google?:)

15. CKava

inosanto theres tonnes of good MT fights on k-1fans.com in the Muay Thai section.

16. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

nice one:)

17. slipthejab

The only point is... don't go there and leech.

If you download a vid... repost it. The same applies here at MAP.
    If everyone leeches then the vids stop getting reposted.

18. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

Can someone repost this video? Darn I missed it....please? :confused:

19. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

same here :bang:

20. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

will do :D