Spinning elbow/backfist/heel kick... any takers?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Cuchulain82, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Okay... I was at my gym yesterday and I happended to be the odd man out. So, my instructor started showing me some of the... how should I say this... "less common" techniques. Basically, I spent a good part of class working on a spinning elbow. Now, spinning elbows (along with spinning heelkicks and backfists) are much maligned, at least in my gym. So here's my question: does anyone here use them? Are they worth practicing, working on, etc.? Opinions?

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

i don't do mt but IMHO no harm in learning some new techniques that are fun.

you never know what will or won't work for you till you try. Sometimes what doesn’t work for one person works great for someone else.

give them a shot in sparring a little bit and see if you feel they are working for you or not. if you like them keep practicing them more, if not then move on.

3. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

We train with them at my gym. We want everyone to learn how to do them properly. But when its time to fight, I don't think any one of our fighters has ever tried to use a spinning technique.

You stick with what you KNOW works! The thing about spinning techniques is that if they don't work, you are often left out of position and can easily be knocked out. They are high risk moves....

4. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

That is basically what most of the instructors in my gym say. All the main instructors have trained and fought in thailand, held amateur and/or pro belts, etc. They all kind of chuckle and say something to the effect of, "Sure, try it- spinning heel kick to the head works every time" :rolleyes:

I don't know- the techniques actually look like a good way to enter, close distance, or even just break up timing. In the case of the elbow, my instructor actually said that even if you miss, it usually sets up a grapple (if you actually do the motion, this makes sense). And, if you hit, well... it is powerful.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We train them all the time.

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Sure it does. It's a high risk move, but hell if you can pull it off. . . . tricky ninja you are.

http://www.wimp.com/thai/

Check out the LAST KO in the video, by spinning elbow.

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I was under the impression that spinning elbows where not that rare in MT fights (From what I've watched something like every 1 in 5) but it's down to certain fighters more than anything else.

8. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I find them most useful if I'm out of position, and want to get back. The surprise for your opponent of the attack helps this, and if it connects anyway, woohoo!! :D

9. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

like comaboy said they are good if ur in a weird position. if your facing each other its gonna be tough to pull one off but if your on ackward angles they are quite useful.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sok Klab

Sok Klab or the reverse elbow is one of the more nasty elbows that you can catch in a Muay Thai bout.

They get used somewhat in bouts in Thailand... though not with the regularity of other elbow techniques like Sok Hud(levering elbow) or Sok Sab(chopping elbow). Much of the reason for that is that it requires perfect timing and a perfect set up.

This elbow is all about the footwork. Your's in relation to your opponents. It takes a ton of practice - and that says something right there as we all know that much of Muay Thai is about drilling in move into the muscle memory day after day... week after week.. year after year.

The Sok Klab has a very illustrious history in Muay Thai... and there are subtle variations on it as well... probably the most famous being the Sok Soi Mamuang(elbow to pick up mango) - that is aimed a reverse elbow aimed at the chest and not the head. Made famous by Phol Prapadaeng against the 'Sok Ku General' Sodsai Naruepai.

As well the elbow when thrown in a reverse manner can come in like an upper cut, in from the side or down from the top. An example is Sok Pak Akkani (Sok Klab Peek) that comes in from the top and comes down to land right at the eyebrows.

In western gyms there is some use of reverse elbows... but I haven't ever seen to many that weren't telegraphed... and therefore easily avoidable or open to brutal counters. Additionally - It always seems to me that westerners have picked up one single version of Sok Klab and run with it... I usually don't run across many that are aware of the many other variations of the reverse elbow that the Thai's have.

As for the rest of reverse spinning moves - they vary in effectiveness. Again with these moves timing and opportunity is everything. There have been some devestating reverse spinning kicks landed in big fights. And one example I can think of a spinning backfist that worked is Genki Sudo's reverse backfist where he lands the forearm instead of the actual gloved fist during his bout against the Korean TKD champ.

I also agree with what Khun Kao has posted. Risky move.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  11. kwoon424

kwoon424 New Member

Benny Urquidez finished many of his matches with a jump-spinning back kick and Shonee Carter from the ufc was famous for his spinning forearm and backfist.

12. slipthejab

True that... Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez was a master of using the jump-spinning back kick!
    Nice one. :)

13. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Remember that a lot of these guys who you are mentioning as having used spinning attacks to some degree of success were elite fighters at the top of their game.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't train with them, because as I've already mentioned, my gym TRAINS with them. But when it comes time to step into the ring, we don't actually USE them!

I'm also not saying we never will use them. It's just that none of us are good enough to use them when the opportunity presents itself.

One of my fighters recently fought in NYC vs. a more experienced fighter. My fighter had never fought. His opponent had fought NUMEROUS times. (we agreed to the match because it was the 1st match we'd been offered for our guy after trying for over a year to find him one)

So as I was saying, his opponent, being MUCH more experienced, tried performing a spinning kick. My fighter dropped him to the canvas in mid-spin.... My fighter simply timed his spin and kicked him right in the ass, dumping him to the floor.

14. slipthejab

Khun Kao - I agree with you completely. In my matches I never use anything like what I've posted about. Not even the basic Sok Klab or Reverse Spinning Elbow. It's far too risky... I wouldn't at this point risk using in the ring - there are so many things to work out - the timing and distance to take advantage of or often times even see the opportunity being the very first part.

And you're correct the fighters that I mentioned are essentially legends in Muay Thai - so it comes down to a lifetime of training as opposed to a year or two to really use those weapons effectively - or again - even have the timing and eyes to see that kind of an oppening and use it to your advantage.