zombies in florida? The T virus is real!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jordanblythe104, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

It does and it doesn’t, it’s pretty specific to instances such as this.

It’s not about how I think it works; it’s about how the drug culture and public in general think it works. Of course this isn’t journalism's fault, and I freely admit that my issue is that they aren’t catering to those that should probably understand these things to begin with. And maybe that’s unfair.

Fair enough.

I get that.

That’s the short and long of it really.

It irritates me 'because' I feel it’s a disservice to the general public. I stated why I think it’s a disservice in post *14.

No not at all, there is of course an element of entertainment with the news; I just think that some issues should be treated with a bit of care is all.

I wouldn’t place limits on it for anyone else, I just wouldn’t do it if it were me. I see no reason to create an opportunity for misinformation to take hold with something like this. But at any rate, one article I read (I can’t find it now because this story has flooded the web) mentioned everything that the other articles mention, but doesn’t name any specific compounds. And I personally think that was the best route. Similar to this article concerning the New Jersey man: “No charges have been filed because of the unusual nature of the case, Heinemann said. He said he believes that drug use or mental illness may have contributed to Carter’s behavior, but that hasn’t been confirmed.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05...lf-threw-his-skin-and-intestines-at-officers/

I don’t think I have anything else that I want to add beyond this post regarding the drug/news aspect, but I will consider your response. Have a good one slip.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

3. WatchfulAbyss

Agreed, and stuff like this is why I tend to take long breaks from viewing the news. The older I get, the more I realize I simply have very little understanding of how people could actually go through with these sorts of things.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You are moaning about nothing frankly. No one has been massively misinformed by the way the media has reported it. You can not protect idiots from themselves. If people are going to be making fantastic leaps of logic simply because the news media speculates that drugs may have been involved (and not even a radical speculation at that!) then that is what it is. People making ridiculous leaps of logic.

The vast majority of substances that people take from either over the counter or doctor prescribed are not going to suddenly have some random side effect like running out and chewing someones face off. Those traits are more associated with hard drug use... thus the mention of bath salts and PCP. Which sites that you 'frequent' where all these people have latched onto that idea? It's not uncommon for PCP to cause insane adjustments to behavior. It doesn't take a whole lot for people to surmise it could have been involved does it? That is not a leap of logic. Do you see the difference? Can you show any instances of this somehow massive danger/risk to the public that you're talking about with mundane medications? I can't remember anyone taking broad spectrum antibiotics and then running out and chewing innocent peoples face off. Seriously.

On one hand you are trying to blame the media for something that is well within the confines of journalistic integrity and then on the other hand blame them for possibly misleading people if those people are silly enough to make bizarre leaps of logic that have nothing to do with journalistic standards.

I understand you personally have an issue with it. But that doesn't have anything to do with journalistic integrity or the way news is actually reported. :rolleyes:

5. WatchfulAbyss

I can't list them here. What I can say is that I used to grow various species of mushrooms, such as the nameko mushroom, garden giants, and king oysters (I still grow the oysters). One of the sites I’m referring to has quite bit of relevant info regarding that hobby but is also heavily into the drug culture. The other sites are actually sites that were found threw that site.

(At least I don’t think I’m allowed to mention the sites by name here? One of them I could Pm to you if you want to check it out, the other two I'd prefer not to discuss with anyone as they aren't just into drug culture. They also have a lot instructions on how to produce, not that the one I would be willing to share doesn't, but it goes way beyond what is reasonable.)

6. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Be glad. If you could understand them, be able to think like them, know them, you'd probably be them. Be glad we're normal. People get phd's trying to understand people like that. and most likely they still dont know what makes em tick. If they did, we'd be able to keep people from becoming this.

7. slipthejab

Then I would posit that the particular lot who's already predisposed to posting on forums that are heavily drug oriented are hardly going to be at risk from anything the mainstream media speculates about. There are any number of drug use forums out there... tons of them... some good and informative and some not so good or informative. Everything from drug stacks for a better high to the relative price of any type of score and news of hot batches on the street. I hardly think this lot is going to be at risk of being misguided by the mainstream media. The main theme in many of them is a fascination with experimentation with drugs and an overall awe and or affiliation/identity attachment to drug culture.

I'm not that fussed (or even surprised) if that lot is making unfounded leaps of logic frankly. :hat:

8. WatchfulAbyss

I personally find it rather frustrating. It's really concerning to see people that have access to all the info one could want or need to be responsible, set and pretend like these things pose no real dangers. I mean, it's not like their stupid, some of them have a grasp on chemistry that I could only wish for, yet . . .

9. slipthejab

err wait what? You are referring to all those people on the drug forums being misinformed by the mainstream media when they are frequenters on forums with far more in depth information on drugs from first hand drug users those with experience in drug use/combining/experimentation?

10. WatchfulAbyss

‘Some’ of them, yes; though my worries were extended beyond that initially. I mean, it’s not like the library on confirmed drug induced cannibalism is a large one (at least as far as I can tell it’s not, but I could be missing something). So people kind of have to rely on the test results here.

11. slipthejab

As for me... those who are feel their identities are so heavily invested in drug culture and and become regular member on drug forums where the majority of topics are how to get the high using recreational and prescription drugs, and all the whatever associated with getting a better high... well... frankly... ahahhahahahahahah you've got to be kidding me. They can all go play on a busy freeway for all I care. I haven't the least bit of soddin' sympathy for those too dumb to figure out that drug use can have negative consequences in the extreme. So for me to get worked up about them making ridiculous leaps of logic because the news media speculates on what drugs may have been involved in such a horrendous attack.... it ain't gonna happen. No way... no how. They need to grow the hell up and move on with life and do something besides gettin' high making lame leaps of logic. Can I spell it out any clearer?

No one has to rely on test results. It's normal conjecture associated with news stories. I'll take that any day over some ridiculously misguided worries what fellow drug users might extract from such stories. That someone attacked someone and chewed their face off isn't by any stretch normal behavior. The immediate two things that spring to mind would be psychopath or PCP... or a mixture of both making that three... if you or your friends on the drug usage forums can't figure out how PCP can go wrong maybe they should sit down and have a talk with your local cop or EMT or Paramedic who's had to deal with one. Not that it'll get through their haze... PCP, recreational drug usage and cannibalism are bad m'kay?

oh forget it. It's pointless. lol. :p

12. slipthejab

Here's an interesting bit on PCP:

source: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2589/does-pcp-turn-people-into-cannibals

oh look... more nonsense on PCP:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJa6AL_oJk"]Calif. Man Accused of Biting Out Son's Eye - YouTube[/ame]

13. slipthejab

oh look more behavior on PCP... God forbid drug forum drug users watch this and are misinformed! Eeek!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLZq5GGPxws"]PCP- Angel dust - YouTube[/ame]

14. WatchfulAbyss

Maybe they do have bigger issues, but there is no reason to pretend that it doesn’t affect other people. Do you think Ronald Poppo has any larger issues than what was likely a poor drug decision made by his attacker?

I never said they did have to wait for the test in order to provide conjecture. I said the library on drug induced cannibalism wasn’t exactly large. Adding in that “we kind of have to rely on the test” was because your post brought up resources and experience. I was only saying that there isn’t a lot of either regarding something this extreme.

It’s not them I wish to protect, people like the homeless fellow who was mauled are who I wish to protect. Not that I wish people who partake any harm or anything. But being concerned about people who use drugs is also a concern for those around them. I don’t see how we can aim to protect those who choose not to use drugs by ignoring the well being of those who do use to some degree.

That said, you seem dead set on turning this into an argument, I don’t have anything to gain by participating so I’ll just back out of the room.

15. slipthejab

total logic fail... jeebus

Are you nuts? Whatever his problems are they now seem incredibly small compared to having his face chewed off by some loser who was on drugs (if that turns out to be the case). Was that your attempt as some really wack apologetics for drug users?!

That's got to be one of the weirdest bits of thought process I've ever seen on MAP. Seriously. Let's see.... innocent homeless man gets attacked and his face chewed off by man most likely high on hard drugs and highly psychopathic and the best you can do is bring the victims life up for review?!

Say what?!?! :bang:

Your arguments from square one in this thread haven't made a single iota of sense. Not one. This latest bit where you try to hold the victim to the microscope is beyond bizarre. I'd say whatever drugs you're on are seriously not working out for you.

Just wow. :rolleyes:

16. WatchfulAbyss

I am going to attempt to clear this up because you are out right misrepresenting what I said.After this I'm done with the thread because this is ridicules. There is no reason that I should be personally insulted when I did nothing more than try to have a civil conversation with you.

That is in fact what I was referring to. You said that drug users have bigger issues than misinformation, I was only highlighting that their issues are our issues.

There are no apologetics being put forth by me for drug users.

It had nothing to do with the victims choices. It was directed at poor choices made by drug users.

At no point did I say anything negative regarding the victim, nor did I try to hold him to the microscope. FYI, I don’t use drugs. More than that, I don’t understand the personal attacks at all.

17. jordanblythe104

jordanblythe104 Valued Member

this thread is getting really off topic. I did not make this thread with the intention of offending anyone or causing arguments. Like I said in the first post, my friend told me there were zombies eating people in miami. I was just kind of making fun of the situation because the likeliness of a zombie apocalypse is right next to flying pigs. I also didn't know of the attack untill after I made this thread

18. slipthejab

yeah at this point the threads pretty far off topic and it's taken some rather bizarre turns... with that unless someone can come up with a great reason... it's nighty night. If someone has a great reason to keep it open... let me know and we'll consider it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.